Discussion When I drop a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MMWO, Sep 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually I love novels where the female lead is neutral... That means she's still not in love with the male lead but when it leads to the part where they're already falling in love with each other... I stop reading it. For example: The Wealthy Psychic Lady: 99 Stolen Kisses

Now tell me when do you usually drop a novel

2. frozenlimabeans

frozenlimabeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop novels when the character becomes too OP, but there's still like 200 chapters leftover. Like, it just CANT repeat the same story of grow stronger -> nearly die -> POWER OF LOVE/FRIENDSHIP -> more OP -> repeat process

3. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    So stop reading novels with romance, duh.

4. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop novels for any of a thousand reasons. I have too little time to waste on bad novels

DiabolicGod likes this.
  5. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you sound like you had your fair share of Fairy Tail-ish stories

I drop novels when they become less interesting to me than staring at a wall.

6. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop the novel when fellow fans become unbearable. I will search for the spoilers myself and I wont tell anyone coz some fellow fan thinks they can write better than the author.

Myself likes this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I read what I like and like what I read, rarely do I drop reading a novel (pause reading it for awhile maybe but never drop reading it) because before I read a novel, I look at the tags/categories of the novel, then at the synopsis, if I like those I move on to read chapter 0 if exist and then chapter1 else just chapter 1 after that I make up my mind whether I should continue reading the novel or drop it (if for example I feel like that what I read doesn't match with the categories and the synopsis (usually it does))

8. Altaris01

Altaris01 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop novels when they stop to make sense or the plot holes get bigger than the sun.

Also jp mcs cant stand them.

9. SquirFail

SquirFail The One Who Forgets, Dreamer, Observer

Reading List:
    Link
    i drop a novel when it gets too nonsensical and stays too much in the perverted troupe for way too long not the perverted types like those casual fanservice but like the mc/villain masturbates the likes while conversing type of things, its like the author got horny mid way through the novel

chamchaworld likes this.
  10. chamchaworld

chamchaworld Lazy Chibi

Reading List:
    Link
    I drop a novel when MC becomes too annoyingly OP (like most of CN isekai female assassin), when MC is really cool but turn stupid after fall in love (again, like most of CN isekai female doctor assassin), or when the MC's harem member keep growing without any good backstories ('you save me now i love you')

11. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that is advanced autism

I drop a novel when the ML turns out to be a rapist abusive shitface and were supposed to forget about that case the MC luvs him. Its especially weird cause the the dude just finished baking servants into a pie and the next line he's waxing poetry to the MC. And then you see comments going "uwu post baby" that's when I grab the charcoal

So most CN and KN stuff. God I really do have Stockholm snydrome for those genres

ToastedRossi likes this.
  12. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    When a novel raises 3 flags in a short time or becomes aimless.

One other reason you dropped a novel, is because the translator stopped.

13. MsKumiko

MsKumiko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. When the only starts repeating itself. The same problem, different people. Usually in stories over 300 chapters.
    2. When the MC or ML make me so angry I literally scream. The MC being either too stupid or impossibly dense, or the ML being an obnoxious, rapey jerk.
    3. When the story wants to make the FMC or love interest have a miscarriage out of nowhere. I hate stories with miscarriages.

14. MrBugaw

MrBugaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Paywall.

Translation speed wall.

The mc has hit the wall.

15. philosopher17

philosopher17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's with all the beta male readers who hate romance? Is it some fetish to remain a virgin? No wonder all these beta isekai heroes are so popular here.

Want harem to flock to your projection in the novel, but don't want romance :/ Weird shit.

16. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I stop reading a novel, when I notice that the author has the bad habit of letting all the most interesting scenes happen off-screen. For example some MCs have barely talked two sentences with the FL, but 50 chapters later the author pretends that they talked a lot and were developing trust and feelings for each other...

And sometimes a novel has hilarious misunderstandings that kinda get resolved offscreen, while the "resolving" part would have been the most interesting.... Because the author felt it was hard to write, he simply skipped it. :(

17. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not weird at all. Romance is only fun when it's not mutual and consumated. Just like many things you want in life. Once you get what your heart desires, it's no longer fun.

18. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    I like romance though, the good part about romance is not the initial "flame" at the beginning, but the hardships and development the couple go through.

19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to agree with this one. The male love interest is the most awful character or at least the most uninteresting one a remarkable portion of the time in these kinds of stories. It's almost as if the writer is so wrapped up into making them into awesome catches that there's no effort put into making them into likable characters. I recently read a novel that actually put some effort into its CEO (!) love interest, and it's astonishing how these characters can actually be good!

I feel like this attitude is one of the main reasons why romances are so poorly written. The idea that a story should end as soon as a relationship is established and that there's nothing more to tell is ludicrous. This should only mark the point where the trials and tribulations become more interesting and meaningful.

SilverFeather and AliceShiki like this.
  20. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually drop the novel as soon as the couple gets together unless there're very few chapters left. Most novel readers don't do this but I don't think that my dislike of the 'post-marriage' journey is weird.

In TV show fandoms, the most popular couples are often the non-official ones, the pairs who have a lot of chemistry but will never get together on screen. Many fans will lose interest and stop watching the show once the couple they like becomes official and turns lovey-dovey. The story after is simply just not as interesting as the story before. There're many paths with twists and turns in the wooing period to get to the destination but the aftermath is mostly the same. There're few variations when it comes to couple fluff. As for post-marriage troubles, if I see it, I inadvertently think about the typical real life of a working adult... Showing up at the office in the morning, suffering through your boss breathing down your neck for eight hours, and then going home at night to deal with your spouse's nagging and the kids' tantrums and cries. The kind of boredom which drains all energy... It's very hard to continue reading the story when I'm struck with that kind of boredom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.