Which of the three countries novels do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnGrave, Jun 29, 2021.

?

Which novels do you prefer

1. Japanese

33.7%
  2. Korean

29.6%
  3. Chinese

36.7%
  1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm just curious how things balance out these days. I know back in the day JP was king (and I fully agree with that) but nowadays I see a lot more interest in chinese and korean novels so I'm curious how things balance out. Just pick the one of the three that you prefer.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  2. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japan - King of fantasy and funny and naive
    Chinese - King of slap face and racist
    Korean - King of plot and strategy and cheating (more than one meaning)

For me, I still like Japan. Japan novel had more moral than the other 2, plot not repeat, story not to thick, more balance and I can recommended to my nephew to talk.

Of course, this is just my opinion. Other opinion still valid.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer JP stuff in general, I just like their style more~

Though I also love a bunch of Korean Webtoons~

Airlol likes this.
  4. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    Jp, for the waifus

Airlol likes this.
  5. BEritro

BEritro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jp and KR like CNs so far are the hardest for me to get into then again I am new to this whole WN reading

Airlol likes this.
  6. Redmoon2

Redmoon2 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While there are some good novels among Chinese novels such as Little Tyrant or classics like Coiling Dragon, I find that there are even more gems in Korean novels and Japanese novels. Of course both KR and JP novels also have their own overused plots such as Regression (KR) and Isekai (JP) but this is just my personal preference.

Airlol likes this.
  7. Airlol

Airlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Webtoon... I see. We had culture man here.

8. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm actually very surprise that CN novel is last place :eek:o_O . I don't really read KR novels except for Isaac & The Novel's Extra and as for JP novels I stopped reading them since all I see are these weird long ass titles it just turned me off completely .

kawaii12345 and Lissi like this.
  9. NovelSchemer

NovelSchemer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Korean novels cause their writing style is funny? My least favorite is Chinese novels cause sometimes I can't understand the translations that makes me confused. QAQ

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  10. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japan has A LOT of good novels, korean, i dont know many about them but most of them are really good... Chinese... well finding a GOOD novel, with no political and chinese bootlicking, no repeated plot and no young master bs... its like trying to trying to win the lottery

Dr_H_16 likes this.
  11. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer Japanese novel. I only want them to change their popular MC template which includes features that are "naive", "doormat" and "overly fond of justice" and "aversion to death". when they try to avoid that template it usually turns into "bloodfest" like "Summoned Slaughterer"(I don't know how the fuck I finished those 9 volumes). It's really hard to find a novel without MC being Naive No-Balls or a psychopath, I did find novels and MC by "FUNA" quite likeable.

In the end, if Japanese novels stop portraying MC to be overly wimpy will make it more popular.

Kanna Kamui likes this.
  12. xnvesha.14

xnvesha.14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese- mostly manga
    Korean- action and adventure
    Chinese- Danmei(yaoi)
    All the languages have their own strengths imo.

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean... Female Protag novels that don't involve adventure/action thingies tend to avoid most of the tropes you mentioned. At most they might still have naive, and even that isn't thaaaaat widespread... >.>

Seems like more of an issue of the type of novel you're reading than about JP novels in general?

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  14. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I read mostly Chinese horror, and sometimes questionable cultivation novels, with the occasional foray into all other genres except shoujo/josei (I usually rage quit that genre within the first 20 chapters).
    2. is Korean with it's billion rebirth+cheat+monsterpocolypse+necromancer novels, though it's the other genre stories like Level Up through Eating and God's Song that really stick out in my mind.
    3. I stopped reading most Japanese novels a couple of years ago due to the overabundance of trashy harem isekai with beta MC I want to smack upside the head at least once a chapter/ reborn into a villainess in an otome game reverse harem crap. I do like Jstories like Kino no Tabi or Mimizuka to Yoru no Ou so I haven't written Japanese novels off completely but I rarely read them.

15. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    CN novels all the way for me!!! :cookie:
    Interesting plot settings, my dear QT, all the lovely fun stuff!! :blobtaco:

I've really disliked the format of the JP novel translations I've read, and I got sick of the isekai/otome real fast :sweating_profusely:

As for KR... I can't remember the names:blobcry:
    It really dampens the reading experience tbh when there's 3 brothers and their names are all about the same and I'm just like... "who are you talking about again, MC? :confusedcatblob:"

*cough* I read both manga and manhwas since there are more of them imo, but novel-wise, yeah it's just CN for me.

Delerator, novaes, kkgoh and 4 others like this.
  16. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese books are what got me here. but I dont like reading them much now
    I like Korean action novels
    I like Chinese bl
    :cookie:

Lissi likes this.
  17. babybb

babybb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    -Japanese BL is atrocious. Just saying.
    -Korean novels are mostly reincarnation/ transmigration into villainess/ unloved daughter, aka it gets old real fast.
    -Chinese BL is easily the best, but I stay very far away from Chinese shoujo/ josei, with only a handful of exceptions.

I don’t read any of those harem/ OP protag novels so I couldn’t tell you which is best in that genre depending on the country.

Verdict: They all have their perks. Except maybe JP BL. (No really, it sucks ass).

DewDropsOnMellons and Lissi like this.
  18. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite genre is historical novels and the best historical novels in the world are probably Chinese. Books in other languages don't come close and so I'm mostly reading Chinese novels nowadays.

For Japanese, there's enough distinction that I think of it as two separate languages. One is the regular published novels with some of the best writers in the world, and the other is the webnovel industry where the writers can be shockingly bad. I don't read these books nearly as much, but when I do it tends to be the bad stuff!

I don't read Korean novels in general, but the writers seem competent so the books should be much better than Japanese webnovels.

kkgoh likes this.
  19. Arnoach

Arnoach Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Sigh* well you can't really say which country has better novels! As you know Japanese novels are good but once you exhaust the "good" novels all you can find are trash rip-offs, same for Korean novels old ones were good but authors just keep repeating the SAME plot every single time, as for Chinese it's easy to find novels without racism just go for transmigration novels and trust me they have some good novels specially fanficts.

DewDropsOnMellons, GenEriko and kkgoh like this.
  20. northerner

northerner a stressed potato

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't like Japanese novels that much. The names are quite confusing. And it's not easy to get translated copies. I like their mangas tho.

For Korean novels, I put them in my watch thread but never did read them. Often times, they weren't completely translated. But they do have interesting plots. However, I don't like reading the manwha because they have repetitive plot(?) [Sorry!] Like about rebirths, abusive family, regression, and stuffs.

I like Chinese novels more bec I can find different sources and it's much easier to read using gtranslate. They also have those repetitive plots like rebirths so tend to avoid those esp when it's gonna lead to romance, pampering, and has thousand chapters. There are really good writers out there and just need to dig deeper to find them.

kkgoh and kawaii12345 like this.