Discussion Which reviews do you prefer reading first when you start a Novel, Positive or Negative reviews?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by InternetHitler, Jun 1, 2017.

?

Good or Bad?

1. Negative

24 vote(s)
    25.5%
  2. Positive

11 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Mixed

59 vote(s)
    62.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InternetHitler

InternetHitler Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer reading the ones that are Negative. Sometimes they offer some good criticism and sheds lights to a Novel's down side. Usually its easy to filter which ones are extremely biased(Just like with positive ones) that I otherwise should just ignore.
    Though again in the end I just read the novel myself and judge it with my own eyes. Still I think I'd like to see what people do in these cases.
    Do you let it influence your decision and drop the novel entirely?

2. Penultimate

Penultimate Sect Silkpants Prince

Reading List:
    Link
    The negative reviews without question. For one simple reason. The positive reviewers almost never give enough info on the novel, I've read ones that literally just say "read it because its good" without explaining why. Negative reviewers tend to be more in depth, writing paragraphs as to why they dislike the novel and the various problems it has.

keklel, Mufarasu, Harens and 2 others like this.
  3. Arcares

Arcares Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You joined oddly at a very odd time with a very odd picture. Hmmmmm I smell a case. To the mystery machine!

Edit: On a serious note I take the time to read most and take an average or look at a very thought out review. Chances are a review that points out both good and bad are a lot less biased then a one sided opinion. Firstly no novel is pure garbage no matter what including invisible dragon. Every novel deserves to be treated as its own unique existence and reviewed as such. It is so bothersome when people start bringing in cliches as a con to novels. Welcome to the novel world, there's no such thing as unique anymore

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    arashi-chan12 and InternetHitler like this.
  4. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually don't read reviews unless there is iffy tags like gender bender or rape.
    This is because I want to know is the gender bender the MC or someone from the supporting members.
    Is the rape there because one of the main heroine has been done in or just random side characters.

The response can either be positive or negative so I will vote with mix.

pocketbear likes this.
  5. lucjanssens

lucjanssens a very ¨rabbit¨ bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    the one at the top and then downwards

MasterCuddler, Aiiee and Miri-Bell like this.
  6. themurp

themurp Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad reviews.
    I throw out any reviews where they bring up the language as a factor, because they are usually extremely biased.

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Negative comments first to see if there's any traits that ruin the novel *cough* NTR *cough*
    But then after that the amount of positive ones to see how the average populace enjoyed it (without going into content)

8. Flamemaster

Flamemaster [TheCakeIsALie][LordOfTheDivineFlame][ThePinkPuff]

Reading List:
    Link
    read recent reviews depending on how much the person has read into the novel, ive seen ppl give out bad reviews negative and positive, negative reviews try to downplay and positive ones only show whats best, revies should detail both the good points and the bad points without giving too much spoilers.

9. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Positive cause if it's negative, i'll be thinking negative too and won't read the novel.

10. unknown14

unknown14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You Should Think Your Picture first .... Or there will be Consequences

well for me i read the bad then good then decide if i'll read it

11. NekoMK2

NekoMK2 Lazy cat, [self proclaimed GM_Rusaku Disciples]

Reading List:
    Link
    review from @Cryarc since his(?) review not really biased and he(?) already read future so can tell what good and bad point in novel
    if not then mixed equal bad and good one who gave good explanation why this novel good/bad

12. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    People always give biased reviews. In fact, it is a stretch to call most of them reviews. The majority are just people ranting about how much they hate it, how bad it is, compare it to other novels, and complain about cliches. For the most part the reviews are just useless, but I do sometimes check them for mentions of poor translations and any signs of elements I don't care to read about

13. AshCrow

AshCrow LeeFromAsia

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad reviews. So I know which to avoid.

14. dritch124c

dritch124c Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read the negative reviews when the ratings arent totally positive, otherwise i dont read any reviews

15. chopin124

chopin124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mixed, negative often too extreme, and positive too perfect. If majority positive, I'll read the negative reviews to see the type of people that reviewed it and try to infer what their preferences are and make my decision based on that. If widely negative, I check the mixed ones and then try it for a few chapters as a deciding factor.

I don't trust any review that adds smileys, uses profanity or insults readers/writers/publishers. In my eyes they are bigots and I abhor that practice of ad hominem. Instead even if the review is negative. So long as they provide proper explanation and not ,'hurrr duurrr, beta male' or 'hurr duuurr, MC is arrogant twat' without any justification, I'll read the review.

Though fluffy stories I read them regardless of reviews xD

InternetHitler likes this.
  16. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    none, most people doesn't know how to write a review.

17. InternetHitler

InternetHitler Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have I offended some Mighty Sect?

18. chopin124

chopin124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews are supposed to be personal it's meant I think to be an overview of the reviewer's impression of the novel.
    Critiques are supposed to be more objective but done against a certain standard or school of thought. I.E perhaps the grammar and spelling of the novel can be critiqued as grammar can be used correctly or incorrectly.
    It's why I consume both critiques and reviewers then decide for myself.
    As for NU reviews... yeah I agree most of them aren't very useful so I go by tags instead and ignore ratings. It's why I tend to avoid cultivation novels despite them taking up the top spots here :)

19. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    If a review read less than twenty chapters then i wont care about what they have to say. They wouldn't know shit about the novel otherwise. That said, if it's over twenty and the novel has a controversial tag like rape, netori, ntr or betrayal....then i'll read the review. I require a spoiler to be put up though. I am curious about the tags, want to know the story behind them before i make a hasty decision cuz sometimes things aint all black and white. Sometimes tags are misplaced too. So i need a spoiler. If it doesn't have one then i wont read the novel most times. I need info, people. Say something relevent. Be considerate to others, explain what's going on so they can make their own choice whether to read or not.

Being vague doesn't help at all.

20. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    im positive guy so i prefer positive one (y)(y)(y)

Aiiee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.