Discussion Which was the absolute shit moment in a novel that made you give up the novel instantly?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Grim_Dawn, Jan 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Main reason I drop is because it gets too damn stupid for me to stomach anymore. It especially bothers me if the hyper retarded MC is constantly being described as a Genius TM.

I also really dislike hypocritical MCs. For example, I like magus of the warlock world because the MC is openly evil. None of that "the MC is such a good kind person that he has a literal glowing halo... brb killing 1 billion random mortals"

Too much forced drama and bad writing is also a reason. As is overly slow translation speed to the point where I forget what is going on there

mir, exefour and J0HNL8 like this.
  2. so-chintzy

so-chintzy One of the editors for Yukkuri Translation Service

Reading List:
    Link
    I changed my mind. The worst shit moment for me was when the (as described by author) super genius CEO male lead encountered this situation:

[-female protagonist is clearly drugged, struggling & about to be raped by some guy-
    -the female protag had earlier been offended when the male lead nearly hit her with his car & then he essentially molested her by shoving money into her shirt like a stripper IN PUBLIC-
    -male lead is aware that female protagonist has financial problems but she still refused the money & did not throw herself at his dick immediately during the car incident-]

So his first thought is that she is a slutty prostitute (even though she was wearing NORMAL BORING CLOTHES & not slutty party clothes), so he steals her away from the would-be-rapist & rapes her instead.

Real classy. (He also answers her phone for her while she's unconscious & lies to her 8 year old son while still thinking derogatory things in his mind about her: "OMG what an irresponsible slutty money obsessed mother, clearly this 'boss' that the son was talking about was her pimp").

aattss and mrttao like this.
  3. Evil

Evil Twisted Mirror

Reading List:
    Link
    When there is no fan service for too long. Or the plot is consistent without any holes.

4. Haters gonna Hate

Haters gonna Hate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Evil Do you play on Dofus? :O

5. Haters gonna Hate

Reading List:
    Link
    Skyfire Avenue: when the MC need to be a teacher and bodyguard for a little b*tch

6. Evil

Evil Twisted Mirror

Reading List:
    Link
    Played.

7. Haters gonna Hate

Reading List:
    Link
    @Evil Because of 2.39? They re-put the 1.29 servers

8. Evil

Evil Twisted Mirror

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I liked both versions (although I preferred 1.29 non eye candy design) .
    I've also played wakfu.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  9. Haters gonna Hate

Reading List:
    Link
    @Evil Hoo I see but wel try the 1.29 serv. There're some players (well like in the old time)

10. Lawlyeth

Lawlyeth [Gorrila Warfare Expert]

Reading List:
    Link
    What's the name ? :coffee:

11. J0HNL8

J0HNL8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped ATG (Against the Gods for those that don't know) when Smooth Che destroyed the sect of the "fairy" that he raped to save her life, I mean, ugh just thinking about it... the way it was written make it feel as if Yun Che was doing great justice by destroying the utter evil sect that was abducting and turning his possible future harem members into cold beauties that could not feel love for him.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  12. so-chintzy

so-chintzy One of the editors for Yukkuri Translation Service

Reading List:
    Link
    One Child Two Treasures: The Billionaire Chief’s Good Wife

I don't care what the male lead does later in the story, the way the relationship started was just complete garbage.
    It also doesn't help that the female protag is a complete dumbass who practically walks around with a sign saying "I'm really stupid & naive, please rape me!". Even Disney's Cinderella fought for her own happiness & wasn't a spineless doormat. She was really passive aggressive & looked for ways to get around her difficult circumstances even though she was forced to live with her abusive stepfamily. The female protag in this story DOESN'T have to live with her abusive stepfamily & yet she continues to go there to please her doormat of a foster dad while her stepsis & stepmom beat her OWN child in front of her.

aattss, mrttao and Lawlyeth like this.
  13. Lawlyeth

Lawlyeth [Gorrila Warfare Expert]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's indeed a bad start

14. Sairony

Sairony Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone Else is a Returnee at about 70, it was entertaining as a parody in the beginning. But at that point it was just rehashing the jokes from previous chapters. It does a great job of copying everything that's shit about a lot of power trip op MC novels however.

IISTH is interesting, the thing I liked about it in the beginning actually made me drop it:
    I liked how the MC actually develops. He starts out as a scholar with a confucian world view. Circumstances rightfully changes him through the course of the series. However, at around chapter 700 he was just an insufferable greedy dick which could see nothing from someone else point of view.

Emperor’s Domination, haven't dropped it but really close. It's very repetitive, tries to introduce way to many minor characters, and I'm convinced the author is just stringing random bullshit together for the battles:
    “Thousand Hands Against the Nine Worlds!” Li Qiye did not retreat and instead trod forward. With a cry, the nine worlds were lifted along with three thousand minor worlds. The two emperor weapons were already powerful enough under the support of the endless blood energy, but now they exuded an even more powerful presence.

The Violet Imperial Hammer’s emperor aura filled the sky. Inside the swirling violet energy was a vast territory as if an emperor was sitting on his throne, creating a new dao and changing the profundity of this world. Meanwhile, a monstrous Black Tortoise stepped out from the Black Tortoise Rod. This tortoise crushed the land as it shouldered the blue sky. It derived and created numerous grand dao and laws with a totem capable of freezing eternity itself!

The King of the Battlefield, the shit moment was when I had read up to the most current chapter & realized the translator is averaging about 1 chapter / 2 weeks. Hard to keep track of details at that pace.

15. mmoon1001

mmoon1001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have good news (?) for you then, that never happened, they were completely fine afterwards.

Back on topic, I just can't read xuanhuan set in the modern day. Too many filler arcs fighting ordinary thugs that have zero chance of doing anything past the first 5 chapters.

I also hate it when villains get hyped up and then absolutely job because the author was racist.

mrttao likes this.
  16. thedorkishguy

thedorkishguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That rape scene on MGA was pretty devastating

17. Ironfist Sect

Ironfist Sect Catch these hands!✊✊

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything the MC from The strong few cultivators on campus did.
    How can an MC be so shit?

Emperor of solo play was annoying how pathetic he was
    Not his situation but him as a person

Those are the only two

18. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't drop unless it starts to annoy me and some things just simply annoy me for some reason , i may like smth in a novel but annoy me the same thing in another one .. Idk i'm retarded with mood swings

19. Shiraori_

Shiraori_ Heh, nothing personnel, kid.

Reading List:
    Link
    God, I wish I kept every single novel I started reading a few chapters of and then dropped instantly when a certain element came up. I think whenever shitty harem elements pop up is the moment I drop a series usually. I literally can not think of one scenario where having a harem has benefited a series.

World Teacher was one where I was kind of interested in when I just read the synopsis -- I mean a hitman, a guy who makes a living out of killing people reincarnates. Having a profession like that oughta warp your morality/perception of the world but the dude is basically indistinguishable from a normal high school kid who reincarnated, and then at 7 years old he started developing a harem. I had been getting bored before that already, but that was when I just immediately gave up. I can't believe people read this shit and don't think "'wow, couldn't this have been a lot more interesting instead of the same old generic shit?"

After that I started looking for the harem tag and reviews before even starting to read something. Maybe make rare exceptions for novels with interesting synopsises.

mrttao and mir like this.
  20. Thyth

Thyth Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I should have dropped it at the very beginning when MC as small kid got killing intent, next when author wrote about 9 old girl , that she had porcelain skin - that's totally normal thing for a kid to take a notice. Sigh. I endured "the jungle book" part, but beast city crushed my leftovers of will to continue reading.

mrttao likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.