Question Who actually know how to make wine?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Raven Evernight, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    coconut flavoured wine?.. OWo

Raven Evernight and linmeili like this.
  2. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    The basic process of how to make wine was explained when i was still in school. (If i may add, i was also taught how to make mayonnaise, paracetamol in highschool)

Rhydec, qpzmal and Raven Evernight like this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    The foods that are made are quite interesting, and it's also informative since the processes are shown, but the channel is fake.

Her whole background story is fake and tbh she probably doesn't even do most of the work shown on her own.

Yeah, this is what I were thinking. The natives should already know HOW to make wine.

So the question wouldn't be, "How can the MC know how to make wine?", but rather "How can the MC know to make better wine than the locals?" and that one's a bit tougher, cause I'm assuming that most people haven't actually made any, they just got a rough idea of how it works and would succeed in making alcohol by trial and error, but there's not any guarantee that it will be a good and even less likely to be better than what already exist.

So probably only distilled alcohol, assuming that it's difficult technologically or not as easy to come up with or something, would be the free ticket to "better" alcohol. And actually that's shown in a few novels, first one comes to mind is Otherworldly Evil Monarch where he complain about the fruit wines and want Baijiu.

But I'm not really knowledgeable enough to know how realistic that is...

4. linmeili

linmeili Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not weirder than potato alcohol (vodka) or grape wine.

Zeusomega, qpzmal and Raven Evernight like this.
  5. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Distilled alcohol, for all I know, is typical of places where, at some point, alcoholic beverages were drunk heated: someone would have noticed that the effluves are enough to get you wasted. Distillation is also quite old and the most you need to get it going is access to copper/bronze/brass working and a bit of inventive, which is why so many places have their own traditional version from God-knows-since-when.

It may be more realistic in the sense that perhaps no one had invented it, but distillation of spirits whithout know-how is a surefire one-way ticket to methanol poisoning, so not really an endeavour I'd encourage.

Astaroth and qpzmal like this.
  6. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    I've made wine before, but that knowledge probably wouldn't do me much good given transmigration or reincarnation. The only way I've done it involved a lot of chemicals I probably couldn't find there. I guess if I had some good yeast I could at least give it a try, but I wouldn't have many expectations for the results.

qpzmal and Raven Evernight like this.
  7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right. Unless you're a vintner, you're probably not going to be knowledgeable enough to make particularly good wines. At most, a non-expert might be able to give a couple of tips to actual winemakers and this is indeed a technique I see a lot in the historical transmigration novels I read.

In the case of drinks, it tends to all be about distilled alcohol. It's not hard to find out the principles behind distillation, and a bit of trial and error using the local drinks as a base should be able to yield decent results. These aren't going to be fantastic beverages by modern standards, but they can have significantly high alcoholic content. In a world where there aren't any strong alcohols, it's something that can really stand out.

The books I read actually going into the process a bit and they will specifically call this drink "酒精" (spirit). These stories are set in Northern Song or earlier, and the drinks in those settings are pretty weak; about on par with beer. A particularly strong drink might have some 12% alcoholic content. Compare that to spirits at 40% alcoholic content or higher and it's easy to see why they'd be prized.

Astaroth and qpzmal like this.
  8. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    XD weird is that we crave for rotten stuff

linmeili likes this.
  9. mia16

mia16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don’t mind me, just sneaking in to get a gist of what wine taste like because
    I’m still a bit away from the legal drinking age. It would be cool to drink my own homemade wine when I can.

10. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I've made some before :blobpeek: I think it's actually pretty easy as long as you know what to watch out for and you have the right ingredients. I think it's plausible to be able to make one through trial and error if you don't actually have the recipe and instructions to make one. :cookie:

11. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Bitter and astringent and a bit of a sweet aftertaste depending on what type. I personally don't really like it :blobpats:

12. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    My dad is making wine in our house but I don’t even know how it’s made

Nagisa11 likes this.
  13. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know but I like them drinking them.

14. Joospinch

Joospinch Don't click my avatar!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    You use grapes on a jug of water

15. Magwayen

Magwayen Sedated

Reading List:
    Link
    I was affiliated with a company that sells yeast for wine and yes, the stocks deplete (although not ultra fast) in a few weeks or so. And the buyers aren't even retailers. Most of them are dads, interested in making wine at home.

16. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes~ Lambanog

17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I never saw this happen in a single story and I have read tons of isekais... You sure it's not something that happens just in cultivation worlds? Because I don't read Cultivation and I never saw it in any isekai into magic world stuff I read.

Anyways, you should assume by default that the MCs of poorly-written isekais will have a secret wikipedia within their head, so you shouldn't really worry too much about this kind of thing.

18. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan knows how to make wine. Ai-chan accidentally made grape wine when Ai-chan left some crushed grapes in a bottle and forgot about it for a year. Ai-chan actually filtered it out twice and drank it a month later.

Gave Ai-chan a headache, but it was good wine.

What most people do not know how to make is hard liquor, such as rum, vodka and the like. Because you need to first invent distillation to achieve the level of alcohol that is higher than 15%. Fermentation can be accidental, but there is a very low upper limit that it can't exceed. Distillation allows you to have higher alcohol content by distilling alcohol to concentrate the alcohol into a smaller portion while leaving the non-alcoholic much behind.

In Felicia's Second Life (Ai-chan's book), Felicia didn't make the standard brew. She made distilled alcohol. The mrug is made through the distillation of beer, allowing it to have 60% alcohol, which is drank by mixing it with lemon juice making it a favourite among sailors, especially considering that pure lemon juice (as opposed to orange juice) takes longer to spoil. This distillation technology didn't exist in that world, so it was a big deal.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Raven Evernight likes this.
  19. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not a cultivation story mechanic; it's something that's found in a lot of Chinese transmigration novels. The reason is that it's a simple invention that allows the protagonist to show off some of the advantages of modern knowledge. If you're curious, the other common inventions are gunpowder, the printing press, and the telescope.

Nagisa11 and AliceShiki like this.
  20. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, fair enough, most of the isekai I read ended up being JP or KR, so I never saw it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.