Why are my reviews being stealth hidden?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by tamix, Jul 13, 2021.

1. tamix

tamix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just noticed that 8 out of my 12 reviews are stealthily hidden when I'm not logged in, and no reason is given.
    I spent a lot of time on some of these and I try to write about things that aren't said in other reviews, especially translation quality, so I'm really not happy about this.
    Which review is being let through also seems very arbitrary and unrelated to swear words or length.
    The stealth aspect of this censorship is very wrong. I don't know if this has been going on unnoticed or what, but I expect an explanation. I will write about this elsewhere if you hide this post.

2. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    When did you write these reviews?

3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Could it be that there are some spoilers? or details that are being screen as spoilers?

4. tamix

tamix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From 2019 to now.
    Very sure there aren't. The only thing I can see is admins don't want people to comment on the translation, but even then the reviews that got through talk about that just as much.

5. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Report them. If members don't do their part, staffs can't do a follow up.

Review Guidelines for NU :
    https://www.novelupdates.com/review-guidelines/

6. tamix

tamix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what you're asking me to report. Given that you've linked a guideline that says you're not supposed to review the translation, you want me to report my remaining reviews to get them removed?
    If not, are you asking me to report reviews being stealthily hidden, which I had no way to know was even happening?
    Either way your request seems absurd. And obviously I wholly disagree with this guideline. Translation quality is a huge part of the product being reviewed here and should definitely be something people looking for a novel can be informed about.
    But clearly I'm not about to be changing the site's guideline. I'm still asking why my reviews were hidden stealthily without a reason given.

V_tae_moon, Snappy Doe and rialm like this.
  7. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    What 12 reviews have you done? Just curious if they are stealth hidden or not. I doubt it though but ive seen crazier things. Link the novels please...

https://www.novelupdates.com/user/97594/tamix/

When looking on this page i only see 4 reviews. That means that your other reviews I can't see them if they exist. Show us on your end if they exist.

Attached Files:

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be blunt, the review system is really old and janky. All submitted reviews are essentially personal, pending approval for public listing; which can take up to twenty four hours. If a review is rejected, it simply remains personal. There is no system in place to notify you that your review has been rejected.

That said, review approval is extremely generous. The review guidelines are simple and easily met.

If you feel your reviews did meet the guidelines and were unfairly rejected, please report them through the site.

If you disagree with the guidelines, that's fine. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. ... But reviews that don't meet them won't be approved. I recommend finding an alternate avenue for expressing your opinion of the novels, translators or authors. There's an appropriate place for everything, after all, including things that don't belong in reviews on a novel page.

9. animanaicT

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for the answer.

10. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At a glance, the review for Little Tyrant Doesn't Want to Meet a Bad End does seem to meet review guidelines. More than. It's possible it was mistakenly rejected due to the first line, with attributes the rating to translation quality. I'll look into it.

It'll take a bit of time, since Tony handles all review-related issues, and he isn't available at the moment.

I'll get back to you when I know more.

rialm and AliceShiki like this.
  11. animanaicT

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess what the mod means by reporting your review would be to ask them to double check to approve your review, and ask what needs to be changed for every review that they didn't considered to let though.

I don't think this was a malicious attempt at censorship.

12. tamix

tamix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I can't post links then I guess.

And to be clear, what's happening is most of my reviews are visible and displayed normally to me, but hidden to everyone else, which prevents the author from realizing he's being censored. So me and probably many others just keep on wasting hours writing reviews that nobody can even see. How can they change what's wrong with the reviews when this is the way the site's handling it? Most of my reviews have one or two lines about the translation and like 50 about the novel. It's easily fixable if I just know what the problem is.

rialm likes this.
  13. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This.

You did a better job at phrasing it than me.

Snappy Doe likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Just make 10 posts and you can post links.
    I am sure you can find threads that you can respond to.

And it's shocking right? There is no conspiracy but I maybe partly responsible for this

I had a novel re-translated so I reported the review which was bashing the translation.
    The novel is Genocide Online in case it is one of them.

Cheers!

15. tamix

tamix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I get that, I'm just not happy about having wasted all that time when I could have been made aware long ago that there was something wrong if only it wasn't stealthily hidden, or made "personal". Every other instance of a post in process of approval has a notice of this. Not displaying that is not a "conspiracy", but I'd bet it's to save you some time on not getting resent reviews.

That was not one of them, but I agree that is a perfectly good reason to remove one such review. How often does a retranslation happen, though? Manually removing these reviews when this happens seems more appropriate. Of course, having a separate way to rate and review translations would be great, but the complete lack of such a place is why I've started writing reviews that include information about the TL, especially when it changes partway through the novel.

Snappy Doe and rialm like this.
  16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    In the defense of this website, it is called novelupdates not translatorupdates.
    Sadly, edited Machine translations have infested this site.
    It was rare before but it is now the norm. I consider it a fool's errand to bash translations especially when these groups have no professional integrity.
    Re-translation will not happen. Negative reviews which have nothing to do with the novel itself will have the opposite effect that you want, it will discourage translators from translating the novel
    I know I won't pick up novels rated 3.1
    Itai no Wa/Bofuri was 3.3 due to the crappy translations and later went up when I translated it even if my website still had mistakes. I was very wary of translating the novel because of the crap rating which had nothing to do with the novel but the translations

aShinyVaporeon and aegis062 like this.
  17. tamix

tamix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't really know, but it seems rare for that scenario to play out. Also, the rating should be for the people looking for novels way more than for its translators. It's not "a review bashing its translator" but "a review warning new readers".
    Anyway, the rating is apparently separate from the review in terms of policies, and as I said I'm not trying to change them either. Just want to make clear that the moderation process has some big issues. Even just making the link to the guidelines more visible would be an easy improvement. I honestly never saw it, it's blue on blue. And obviously being made aware when your review is rejected.

rialm and Wujigege like this.
  18. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Quick reminder that this is against NU review guidelines, so this might be why most of your reviews were rejected.

aShinyVaporeon and Snappy Doe like this.
  19. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I think MTL are much worse than they were back in the day. at least back then the ppl who dealt with MTL were at least trying to make it legible and properly edit them to make sense and they would ask others what certain words meant if google translator didn't translate the word properly.

rialm and Wujigege like this.
  20. tamix

tamix Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Awful MTL isn't the worst part in my opinion. Someone can see that right away in the first chapter and make a decision to keep reading or not then, so pointing that out in a review is not important. What is important to me is pointing out when a translation looks good on the surface but is actually getting things wrong all over the place. (good english/editing but poor understanding of the original language)
    Translations like that will make people rate and review the novel itself poorly, not knowing most of their critique is actually for the translation. I wanted to actually differentiate the translation from the novel when writing reviews.

aShinyVaporeon and rialm like this.