Discussion Why Are Web Novels so Popular?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CadmarLegend, Nov 8, 2021.

1. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly what the title says. Why the heck are these decently-crappy novels so popular? I am not bashing on them by any means, tho... I myself am an avid reader of such novels... and sometimes from a few good gems which I like. However, most of the time I either drop consciously the novel or just... get tired of it.

I will admit, the genres that they have are much more different than any normal novel would dare to portray, but still ask... why are the so fricking popular?

Lurking likes this.
  2. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they're free and digital. You can read this shit with a phone while waiting for the bus or something.

Mr v, Lurking, novaes and 1 other person like this.
  3. CadmarLegend

Reading List:
    Link
    But you can also go to an online database (let's say Axis 360) and get a normal, digital book.

Lurking likes this.
  4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but shit like Wattpad is way more popular

5. CadmarLegend

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh? Wattpad only has cringy romance novels tho. And its annual reader base probably isn't much. Besides, novels can barely even be found on Wattpad. It wouldn't really help to gain popularity to the web novel world.

ReaderReader likes this.
  6. WHF_reads

WHF_reads Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Webnovels are, most of the time, free, compared to the ebook version of books. And everyone has a phone that can easily access the web so it's convenient, rather than having a printed type. And you know, people have different types. I'd definitely read a hardcopy over a softcopy anytime, but if my certain type of novel, for example a horror/martial arts novel that doesn't have romance, is only available in digital then I'd read that over any hardcopy book that doesn't fit my type.

Lurking likes this.
  7. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    They are popular among a certain niche. It is a large niche, but it's a subgroup none the less. It just so happens we are all part of that niche too

8. Lurking

Lurking Do the dead suffer, or is it a sweet release?

Reading List:
    Link
    its a lot of words. and they dont stop. and you can get more really easily.

for word addicts.

and since so many are the same story rehashed, you can read ir and not know exactly what will happen, but also you know the comfortable familiar tropes that likely may happen, but not the exact order

i hate rereading. but webnovel means i donr know what comes next, even if i kinda do since generic oatmeal reading supplement to tide me and my escapism to the next dqy. and i can change the flavor pretty easily.

if i want to read fancy, i can grab a tasty concise story at the library

if im reading in the bus i can pop a generic villainess webnovel off the site to soothe my anxiety and enjoy the ride

CadmarLegend and SerialBeggar like this.
  9. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easier to get into them because you can generally read conveniently and for free, or at least read enough chapters for free to decide if it's worth paying for the rest of the novel. Compared to regular novels, which generally want you to pay ahead of time. Library online reading is gradually becoming more convenient but you need to have access to a good library for that.

Lurking and AliceShiki like this.
  10. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    What others said. For most webnovels, ir can be compared to fast food. It isn't really the healthiest or the most exquisite meal but it's cheap, filling (content), addictive and easy to access

ReaderReader, Lurking and IRandomGuy like this.
  11. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    They are not. We all are part of a niche - one that has grown over the years to be just big enough to be noticed by publishers and catered to on the side.

Also going to the library is not convenient at all. Paying for stuff is annoying too. There is also the fact that a good chunk of the better webnovels are infact the source materials of various mangas, plays and animes - which drives people to read them.

Lurking likes this.
  12. baka8roukanako

baka8roukanako Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They have anime and manga or manhwa adaptations.

13. zakuti

zakuti Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because they are free and adaptation comic

14. tkhendrix22

tkhendrix22 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like a lot of peeps have said, they are free. Also a lot of them have really pretty art, which really people in. Even if the story is mediocre at best, a good fight scene is lit and people will keep coming back for them.

15. mYboiS

mYboiS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read web novels not because they are free or easy to get but because web novels have more of the genre that I like. I'm a huge fan of the BL genre. I feel like there are not a lot of bl novels out there that are actual hard copy books. A lot of web novels are pretty good especially when it comes to the genre BL lol!

16. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because it's efficient, if you dislike it you could easily drop it without feeling anything. It's like junkfood, you eat it as you pass time but can just throw it away with no ragrets. If you're looking for something deeper or something else, then that's on you; For a daily dose of wish-fulfillment though, there are some pure good shit.

17. maoserr

maoserr Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it really that popular? Compared to what? I buy a lot more ebooks from amazon than I read web novels myself. I usually only go to the webnovel once I finish whatever the latest volume of light novel is if it's really interesting story.

Also, web novel translation quality is usually not as good as ebooks either, so it's hard to stay interested in the story.

If you're comparing it to social media, I think it's definitely more niche.

CadmarLegend likes this.
  18. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Library books are coated with germs. You don't know who had touched them. :blob_mask:

CadmarLegend likes this.
  19. HeroOfTheSlaughter

HeroOfTheSlaughter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  20. zakuti

zakuti Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree with u,, hahaha