Bugs why can't i edit genres?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by tides, Jul 23, 2021.

1. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i sometimes removed genres from novels that are tagged every genre possible or have genres that have clashes like xuanhuan and fantasy.

this was discussed before and i made a thread about it and the mods agreed with me. also it was agreed with the mods that genres should be used for things that are constant in novels, not a line funny line making it a comedic genre novel and most novels are tagged as comedy when they're not and only have maybe one or two funny lines

why am i not allowed to edit the genre list ??

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    can you not edit genres for any series (kinda like a ban)? or is it some particular cases (where a lock might be in place)? Also, it would be better if you could link that old thread for reference. Eitherway, summoning @runsing

3. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's been so long i can't find the old thread anymore. but regardless, this is common sense.

tags = things that are present in novels but not the main/common occurrence

genre = main concepts that novel is about. also a novel cannot be both xuanhuan and fantasy, since the genre description in the other thread literally writes xuanhuan as eastern fantasy

also for example the strongest system is a comedy genre novel as it is constantly funny
    the sacred market is not as it is not funny after the cow stops playing with his handphone in the first 30 chapters or so and tags should be used

4. Calahan

Calahan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no i meant on NU novel page

6. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
  7. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nice, you found it. but anyway why can't i edit genres again.

its been days since i last edited a genre

8. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Not me, but the person you just replied to. I just fixed the link, because they weren't able to post a full version.
    Probably too many (drastic) genre changes again?

You'll have to wait for the person who locked you out to come online.

9. Calahan

Calahan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the assist Ral, and my apologies to tides for not including more details on how to create the full link to the thread from the partial link I posted. It's too easy to forget that something that is obvious to me, and to others, isn't obvious to everyone.

(and now with this post, the cause of this problem should be removed. And I can also now (hopefully) edit my previous post with the full link).

10. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ?????????
    huh

11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IINM, you were banned from editing because you were removing too many genres again. @runsing was clear in the last thread: it's not acceptable to go around stripping all of the genres from these novels. Some novels may have too many, redundant or incorrect genres listed, but you're overdoing it.

12. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ?? so removing incorrect genres gets me a ban?? but people who add all the incorrect genres is left alone and we're not supposed to remove them, or perhaps remove one genre at a time and not all of them at once?

is this the stance that the site is taking? @Tony @runsing @AliceShiki @LaDyViL

what i took from the last thread that was 3 years ago was that it was fine to remove them but they would get reviewed and i wouldn't get stopped from removing incorrect genres as long as they are reviewed and i not flood the review queue.

in this case, i wasn't removing a ton of incorrect genres from a huge amount of novels and it's been a while since i last did it

13. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe you misunderstood the thread back then, so let me clarify.

From our perspective, you were told not to do this already. So you were banned for doing it again.

14. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so i was banned for removing incorrect genres?

i dont know how you can interpret what @runsing said in the other thread to imply anything besides that he had to review them as i was fixing too many novels.

he did not expressly said or imply that i should stop fixing novels or stop removing genres that are incorrect, but only said that what i did was too much in volume as i fixing numerous novels back then compared to now where i only removed the genres of several novels.

so to clarify again, i am being banned because i removed too many incorrect genres?

@Tony i do not think that this was the intent when you created the site.

it is disappointing that novelupdates has become a site where users are banned when they remove incorrect genres from novels

15. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you were apparently overdoing it before - going as far as leaving only one genre in place for some novels, which is impractical and highly unlikely to be correct, so if you continued on with the same practices, it's not surprising you were locked out again.

Anyway, I've got no way of identifying which edits are yours, but from going through the last few open edit pages, I can see these novels were most likely stripped down of too many tags (not genres):
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/peerless-martial-god-2/
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/school-flower-versatile-security-guard/

Either of these yours? xD

16. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ????i've not removed any tags recently so no. those are not mine.

but i dont understand your point of "overdoing it". if it's an incorrect genre, then it should be removed.

regardless, the current issue of me being banned for removing incorrect genres from novels is just disappointing.

i do not know why you are trying to defend this.

are you saying that it is fine for novels to have incorrect tags and genres?

also you say that you do not know which edits are mine, yet you continue to assume that you are aware of what i am doing and that i only leave novels with one genre or tag, which is again, not true.

if this was true, then runsing would not have agreed with my points that many novels are being incorrectly tagged and have incorrect genres, and unbanned me at all. infact he stated that his ban was to review what i was doing and i was unbanned after he reviewed what i did.

17. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    What he actually said was that he had to review all of the edits you made. Meaning he had to go back through all of your edits to correct them as necessary. You made a mess, and he had to clean it up.

Your edits were incorrect.

He unbanned you because he had just told you what you did wrong and assumed it would no longer be an issue. It was, so you were banned again.

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Ral

Reading List:
    Link
    Because you're just being a brat about it. The way you're progressing, is your next reply going to be entirely red, bold, and size 7?
    I mean, seriously - a signature now too? But you forgot to link it to this thread... You better correct that or people will not find it.

In any case, writing vague statements, no matter how big or colorful, does not make them true.

If you want to back up your statements with facts, either provide screenshots your User Logs (if genre edits show up there) or list the novels which you recently edited genres for so people can check the public logs, at the very least.

Solus likes this.
  19. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a brat? i wonder who the brat is since the personal insults are already here.

i've not written any vague statements nor have i made any assumptions like you.

i'm also not trying to pretend to be a moderator like you.

also you've constantly made assumptions and even tried to be smart by saying that i was the one who removed all the tags from two novels when i've never mentioned that i've edited any tags in this entire thread.

grow up kid. also welcome to the ignore list.

that's not true.

while i cannot confirm that all the changes i made were incorrect or kept, i can confirm that most of those i checked were kept.

why not just admit that i was banned for removing incorrect genres?

every reply so far from you points to that fact that what i did was "overdoing it" which is the reason for the ban.

it does not matter at all if my edits were incorrect or correct at all.

20. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I see.

I can’t be more clear about this. Your edits were not correct. The genres you removed, often en masse, should not have been removed. They were not incorrect.

As you can’t seem to understand this, your editing privileges will not be returned.

AliceShiki likes this.