Question Why do Authors Sign Contracts with QI/Webnovel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LynneSuzuran, Aug 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LynneSuzuran

LynneSuzuran JP Translator and Author

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read many past debate about QI/Webnovel and their original author contracts but I still see many original novels getting premium there.
    Can someone enlighten me why?
    Or does anyone already have the contract and can verify that it's actually a good one?

Heard that there are actually different versions of contracts such as a contract where authors retain their copyright and another one with authors giving their copyright to QI... Not sure if it's right or not?
    Anyone knowledgeable about this, please do elaborate all about the topic at hand:hmm:

PEKA and lohwengk like this.
  2. shadowreader

shadowreader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. LynneSuzuran

Reading List:
    Link
    There's Patreon as an alternative :hmm:

4. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends if they are in need of money or don't care to be bound, a contract isn't unlikely. The contract thing bothers you only when you become significantly popular, then they become chains. Most writers won't be bothered, the rights thing is correct probably. Ideally, you shouldn't sign such a contract but there aren't many alternatives. The negotiations with rights can only happen if you become popular and are in a position to review your contract, otherwise, it is the usual contract.

5. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    Soul contract. You sell ur soul.

kenar and otaku31 like this.
  6. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Money
    Plus they aren't good enough to have people donate

7. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Must be somewhat lucrative even with the bindings of a contract, a couple of months ago they were touting a QI original author who was the first to make it to $10,000 a month (Now that I think about it, that sounds a little high but eh...) and they did a Q&A and everything to promote their original thingymabob.

8. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Big Breeder ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    You could just visit said place for the intricate details of the process since it's where it's going down, you'd find more thorough explanations and threads relating to the the subject at hand there.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  9. LynneSuzuran

Reading List:
    Link
    Heard that there are two sets of contracts and I think the ones being highly talked about is the contract that transfers the right of the story from author to Webnovel? In that case, I'm more curious about the royalty contract where authors keep their work's copyright...
    Here is the page as reference: https://acts.webnovel.com/2018/62185143/index.html

Wait what, is that even possible?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  10. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you think an upcoming author will choose in a translation world, patreon with unreliable monthly incomes that may or may not take months to take off or an easily fixed pay with a contract that will at least be steady.

Newcomer authors or average authors don't have enough authority to negotiate with QI (backed by a massive company). I doubt that there is a contract where authors' keep their copyright. On the page you linked, it says royalties, not rights. I imagine there will be clauses and stuff that further limit up to what royalties and the methods of monetization. Again it is royalties, not rights, that means if you have disagreements with them, they will still retain your work and benefit from them while giving royalties to you. Now new authors contracting might not look carefully and omit some clauses that may cause problems for them even in the royalty contract.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  11. fteg123

fteg123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...publishing-at-london-book-fair-300813101.html
    https://news.abs-cbn.com/advertoria...bsite-lets-you-earn-by-writing-fiction-online
    https://www.caixinglobal.com/2019-0...-eyes-southeast-asia-expansion-101430664.html
    Advertisements/Promotions/News?

I heard that those who sign the contract cannot talk about it unless they got permission, and if they do get permission they have to say 'good' stuff. [read from other posts so may not be accurate and not too sure if there was an update or changes to the policy]
    Here's an old thread (it's long):
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...hors-something-all-of-you-need-to-know.73509/
    From their site (basic):
    https://www.webnovel.com/terms_of_service

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Cat Corp was here!
    nyanyanya.png

maybe they have no other choice?
    hey being novelist is hard ya know~
    few success while many FAIL!

13. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems unlikely, even the author of the Wandering Inn who's been around for years and has one of the largest internet fanbases for an online series novel is only near $9k a month on pateron, whilst the author of Savage Divinity is on around $5k I believe. But hey...who knows what's possible, QI can wring money out of a rock if they wanted so I wouldn't be too surprised.

14. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance as a genre has always been more lucrative than the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genres, so the fact there is a romance web-serial author that earns more than Pirateaba is not a surprise.

Copyright discussion aside, I think it's possible for the most prolific & popular authors to make more money on Webnovel vs just Patreon (excluding eBook sales) but that's decidedly less true with authors that release less frequently and/or aren't in the topmost tier. It only takes a few dedicated fans(Patrons)—say in the hundreds— to help an author successfully monetize their writings.

Adding in eBook sales conceivably changes the discussion even for prolific authors, since as more eBooks are released by an author there is frequently a noticeable increase in sales of prior novels as more books are released. For example, releasing book 3 in a series, increases sales for Book 1 & 2, releasing Book 6, increases sales for 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. etc.

It is also interesting that one of the most popular original novelists, Wiz (Reborn Evolving from Nothing #11 Original as of this week) chose to write a second web-serial using multiple platforms focusing on earning through Patreon & eBook instead of only publishing with Webnovel.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  15. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good points there, I think Pirate has an eBook actually, I expect QI to do the same, I also expect them to start the shafting of the originals by making manhau and maybe even selling it to the Chinese QI readers as a sort of exotic showing that will no doubt earn them big bucks.

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Most authors start off as ghost writers.
    I hate to break it to people on here but this is the industry norm.
    Only those with delusions of grandeur will think otherwise.
    Of course, there are more than one contract. It is normal to have multiple.
    A dude starting out and one with 5 million views on Wattpad won't get the same contract.
    Just look at the advantages and see if it's worth it.
    Ask yourself questions like the one below
    Can you get 1 million views without their platform?

17. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pirateaba has a new eBook (Volume 2) coming out within the next couple of weeks :)

That's also the downside of having the publisher own the copyrights to a work, less incentive to combat plagiarism on their own platforms. As long as they are earning the money from readers it doesn't matter who the author is.

Freezy likes this.
  18. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Why?
    1) Large upfront payment
    2) Stable monthly income (even if small)
    3) Stupidity.
    4) Naivety.

Ai-chan doesn't know how the English site runs, but the Chinese version generally offers the contract where the author sell their rights to the title to Qidian. And once they sign the contract, they're expected to deliver certain amounts of chapters within a month or they may have their contracts revoked and their title taken by Qidian to be continued by other authors. Authors are paid per word, so it makes sense for them to keep adding nonsense to keep wordcount (and their ownership of the title) up.

There are plenty of better options for authors, but it may not be as lucrative for the author who can keep piling up nonsensical fillers. Because you know, the traditional publishers expect you to keep your work slim without unnecessary fillers and takes time to ensure that you don't make a mess of the story. Qidian doesn't care for your errors, mistakes or racism. As long as you keep making their updates list moving fast, they'd love you.

kenar likes this.
  19. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there's any particularly good reason to sign your work over to Webnovel in exchange for hosting on their platform. There are better options, really, for exposure and financing, that don't require you to forfeit control of your own work. People do it anyway, of course, and I can only imagine it comes down to bad decision making. That's all.

20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Money that you got from Webnovel is high after all. Like any web novels' series, the premium one is really expensive and could bring in a lot of money. The exposure from the platform is also quite high, even higher than RR from what I saw.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.