Discussion Why do boys like swords or weapons in general?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Feb 16, 2020.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't that simply evolution? All animals pass on experiences to their children even before they are born. These experience help shape our mentality.

Through out most of our civilization, men were the fighters, where their priority were to fight. While women who cared for children prioritized escape. This was passed on.

Add other factors such as hormones and how many children are brought up. (Even in households that don't particularly have bias on gender, many subconsciously buy things like dolls for a girl, which promotes social, while more masculine toys for a boy)

imK likes this.
  2. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess its due to instincts & blood. :hmm:

Just look at our human history majority of it are carved using violence :blobhero: for our goals, prosperity & peace. :aww:

3. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The strongest weapon is stick given by old man near a campfire.

4. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    This, except not for the ethnicity I was primarily raised with. For my ancestors, both men and women needed to be physically healthy and have combat ability in order to survive. Men and women could choose whichever roles they pleased, provided they were proficient at it. Times were harsh and to be useless to your community meant you would likely be the first to die in times of hardship. It was only with the advent of improved living conditions and the influence of foreigners that we started to move towards the men hunt/women nurture model. I'm from a particularly stubborn sub-tribe that dug its heels in on that front and stuck to a lot of the old ways.

mir likes this.
  5. LNreader

LNreader Courting Death

Reading List:
    Link
    Cypress stick
    [​IMG]

mir likes this.
  6. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to like playing with swords but it was kinda hard for me.
    weapons are cool in general

7. Invisalats

Invisalats The Bearded One

Reading List:
    Link
    Well before I even knew about swords I was waving a stick around like a weapon. I'd go with inherent traits built up through evolution. As you see more as a kid you might start romanticizing weapons but even if a you were never exposed to weapons as a kid you would have found things that could be used as weapons and used them in play.

Our natural instincts may be among the worst in the animal kingdom but our attraction to using things as tools for violence is unrivaled.

imK likes this.
  8. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    I think kids like swords because they can be though of as sharp and pointy sticks in a sense.

Sticks can be easily visualised as a sort of extension of your arm, and kids can easily pick up stuff like that, so the imagery probably gets stuck.
    Plus it’s kinda fun for kids to wave them or do stuff like smack them on the ground.

imK likes this.
  9. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Not just boys. Girls like swords too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Though Ai-chan is more in the naginata camp.

mir and imK like this.
  10. Arrynne

Arrynne 『Bubo scandiacus』『Owl in NEED of Saving』

Reading List:
    Link
    Compensation.

imK likes this.
  11. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Sentient being that aren't immortal would be always attracted to a means of protection and deterrence. It actually have no relation to whether one is female or male but rather a cemented value due to relatively less exposure of the female to dangerous activities.

Here's a hypothetical question.
    You're set adrift in a boat with one other survivor. There exist a switch on the boat that can sink it and doomed you both and you can't throw it away. Now would you rather keep it or would you rather hand them over to your boat mate ?
    In another condition there's two switch that will only submerge half of the boat, yours would sink his part and him would sink your part. Your boat mate sleep longer than you and you can take away his switch on his sleep. Now would you take his switch from him ?

12. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I become a true agent of chaos if my sanity declines, so I will likely kill us both. ONLY I CAN KILL MYSELF is what I would say in both cases.

reagents 11 likes this.
  13. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yes it was meant for control in any case. That was a fun answer thanks. Didn't notice that self preservation don't always become the motivation that one may want a deterrence.

14. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    First, you gotta look at the advertising for kids toys.

When you see actions with boys in it, it always involves explostions, guns, and other "cool" shit.

Then there are the toys for girls, and christ is there a whole lot of pink, and then they talk about spas, manicures, jewelry.

Think about this, this is probably the reason why you grew up with Power Rangers rather than Barbie Dolls.

asriu, mir, imK and 1 other person like this.
  15. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking for myself, 2 reasons. One, I'm decently good with firearms and am proud of it, but most importantly, two- I get to fantasize about shooting the people at work that seriously pissed me off and running around chopping them is going to take forever. Yes, I'm passive-aggressive. Blame society that we are not allowed to punch assholes these days so we got to bottle it up like a volcano.

imK likes this.
  16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Action and stuff is usually marketed towards boys, it is kinda easy for them to start liking it if almost all media they consume involve swords, fights or other similar stuff~

mir, imK and SquadCammander354 like this.
  17. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  18. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd like where I grew up. In my neighbourhood it's still one of those things where if someone steps out of line and gets put down for it nobody cares nor says anything. They just look at the other person like "Well, you should've seen that coming". As brutal and uncouth as it is, it makes for a functionally polite environment when trolling someone can earn you a punch in the face.

mir likes this.
  19. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know nothing.
    But I've always thought bows and arrows were cool, and short sharp knives were beautiful.
    Also sniper rifles and tanks are cool.
    Cavalry sabers (? I think that's what it's called..?) are cooler looking than straight or too-long swords, and make a nicer/more satisfying sound when slicing enemy necks in a pc game I play sometimes.

EDIT: so I was thinking about it, and I think the main reason I'm not into most guns is, they are too loud.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    imK likes this.
  20. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's mostly because of influence from TV shows and games. I remember watching a lot of those actions dramas like those Chinese Kungfu stuff and got addicted to emulating it with my friends when I was young

imK likes this.