Discussion Why do CN harems with male protag tend to be treated more harshly than the female counterpart?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by devilsun, Mar 23, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilsun

devilsun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most reviews i've seen from the FMC harem are people liking the strong / smart / op MC and cute / fluffy romance so basically they embrace it as it is , a feel good wish fulfillment novel.

And if you see the Male MC ones , there are many criticisms of plot holes , MC should've done this or that ( if flawed MC ) or MC too OP ,mary sue etc etc ( if not )

They more or less are constructed by the same shit :
    - CN harem have cold beauty that always went mushy mushy in the end for the MC ( kuudere , ironically tsundere is not really popular here , mysterious power , and also op but usually form some sort of dual cultivation advantage for the MC) , while FMC have the MLs that blindly follow them ( usually mysterious, possessive , and op as fuck ) like a knight in shining armor . Should be noted that both types fall in love with MC for no apparent reason / weak ( Both are what i consider 1d characters one with no purpose other than exist for the MC )
    - They love their virgin harems . For some reason

This can be applied to non harem ones too , to some extent.
    tl;dr both are usually wish fulfillment novel , with the ROs exist just for MC

Thoughts ?

2. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    men will always be judged harsher than women.

women will tend to be forgiven and men will tend to be blamed. just the way of things m'boy

kenar, otaku31, juniorjawz and 6 others like this.
  3. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    Jade Beauties dont work to please readers.....they r for the authors.....

4. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mainly bcs in male cn mc go somewhere met "supreme" beauty, fck her ,leave and redo until the end of the novels

5. Lord Luc

Lord Luc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1
    The way of the world

6. RebirthofNovel

RebirthofNovel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Male MC tend to fuck all the beauties even multi-some, but female MC can only have one ML eventually, except in very rare case of polyandry even their having multi-some is close to zero.

7. PedoBear Version 2.0

PedoBear Version 2.0 「 Lvl. 69 Legendary Pantsu Hunter !」

Reading List:
    Link
    Because gender equality is a bullshit...

kenar, xiansho and otaku31 like this.
  8. taba1212

taba1212 Unemployed

Reading List:
    Link
    culture mate... culture...

Scarlet Moon likes this.
  9. Aisha Ann

Aisha Ann I LOVE SELFISH VILLAINESS

Reading List:
    Link
    Because male protagonist aren't like responsible, loyal and decent guy. He is biggest scum, pervert and douchbag who rape left and right girls. Then dump them after sleeping. No wonder it's was wrote by old man who image or dreaming having sex with young girls.

MarxDarkBear, Devon and ryosuke08 like this.
  10. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You are seriously asking that :blobconfused:?
    The answer is simple :hmm:
    It is to please the feminists else they will burn the world with talk about gender equality and all that:blobsweat_2:
    ps: look at what they said when the Rise of the shield hero became an anime :blobpeek:

11. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Double standards are a thing

AMissingLinguist and otaku31 like this.
  12. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    from what i've seen, female MCs tend to have a more core-oriented story with a relatively slow growth and more development given to all the guys trying to ra- i mean, court her. male MCs flit from place to place and grow so quickly that only random young masters from super families never mentioned before can keep up, while female MCs generally stay within a rather limited area, overcome most of their trials with tricks or pitting others against each other, and very rarely gets too far away from her harem. a male MC's harem is all about how amazing he is and the great people he collects. a female's harem is more about all the amazing sorts of people she attracts, despite not being as interesting or outgoing as everyone else. another way to put it is that the male MC feigns a low key status (when it suits them) but always seems to jump out and attract as much attention and glory as possible, but the female MC sticks to the shadows unless forcefully shoved into the light and her harem are usually those that "have seen the true her."

so to sum it up, a male MC is totally awesome and uses that to actively/forcefully collect harem members but they rarely hold any real significance to the story at large, while a female MC is just constantly attracting her harem simply by existing and they tend to stick around her as much as possible. usually to save her, which needs doing on a regular basis. her skills, powers, and intelligence are almost never good enough when it really matters, despite the reader constantly being told others. this leads to the necessity of big strong men to ultimately save the day for her.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  13. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly because the harems are poorly written,and the females in the harem are without much substance to the personality.

Sabruness, vlue, Devon and 1 other person like this.
  14. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    The demographic are difference.

IRandomGuy likes this.
  15. michael.kx5

michael.kx5 [Sloth Incarnate][Lewd Overlord][The mediator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm? I haven't heard anything about SJW and shield-bro anime.
    What did they whine about this time?

16. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    A male surrounded with beautiful women... Even I want to say go explode @prongsjiisan ....

A beautiful female walk together with a handsome man... as a man I would say probably I have a chance beating that man or at least be friend with her?

kenar and prongsjiisan like this.
  17. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    With a male MC, well firstly, they won't be the only ones to get harems, antagonists, villains and geniuses tend to get their own harems (some members may or may not be stolen by the MC).
    And generally, after some events together, they're considered part of the harem.

I'm not really uptodate with many FMC harems (bit of a mentality change), but from those I do know, isn't it that the FMC is adamantly trying to refuse as many people as possible from claiming her as theirs and eventually fall in love with 'THE ONE' .

That's for cultivation harems atleast, another situation that has me question the situation is otome games and the male version (are they just called dating games or is there another word for it?)
    In many of those otome game novels or mangas, whether the MC is the heroine or villainess, usually reincarnated (if not one, then the other, if not both of them), aren't most of the characters they can choose either engaged or married ? They tend to have a poor, low ranked noble heroine as the MC. Then the first prince is necessary as one route, maybe some brothers for others, then other 'suitable' targets. Most of them being high nobility, and nobility tend to arrange marriages rather early. And the villainess' tend to be their fiancees.

Basically, aren't most otome game routes about using true love to steal married or engaged men, ie netori ?

On the other hand, the male versions ? I might've played some outright, and some that had the theme ,but i'm having a hard time remembering any routes that had targets that weren't single, nor had some 'secret' engagement or otherwise men they were planned to marry.

Of course, the amount of otome game mangas popping up, compared to the male versions...

Basically MMC cultivators tend to focus on becoming as strong as possible as quickly as possible to be safer and not be bossed around by anyone, whereas FMC cultivators tend to either take it more slowly, focus on other things or specialize in things that a direct cultivation increase wouldn't affect their strength with so much, most of the ones i'm familiar with being experts with poison, medicines & likes or assassins.

Gender equality is pretty difficult to manage true, but double standards isn't really making it any easier.

18. LeakLeaf

LeakLeaf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You guys missing the point you need to look in China culture and understand those CN are made for them and most of them are just wish fullfilment

Sabruness and Devon like this.
  19. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Just search Feminists and Rise of the shield hero an you will get your answers but for reference, here are some websites talking about the matter:
    https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/...ero-they-refused-to-review-it-properly/74959/
    https://boundingintocomics.com/2019...ked-by-feminists-and-social-justice-warriors/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Animemes/comments/afjn7h/anime_feminist_on_the_rising_of_the_shield_hero/

20. naviet

naviet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because male lead harem in CN are lacking in interaction and romance story/ drama.too much focus on power up than story.
    mostly female harem lacking personality and action thus unable bring reader's emotion.

Sabruness likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.