Question Why do in CNs are they called "Wife" despite being Fiance?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnknownSaint171, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldau

Eldau And now for something completely different

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh right you are, never even considered that, that might be why I just instinctively hate that word. It's not even a nice connotation of the word.

2. Grenore

Grenore 《Member》

Reading List:
    Link
    only when they are serious (and decided), that they would be together.
    unless if its like the situation similar to the starting part of BTTH, in that case they won't use husband and wife to call each other.

UnknownSaint171 likes this.
  3. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As a man, I would call my fiancee or girlfriend as wife in a way to confess/proclaim the intention to spend the rest of my life with that person.

When I read CN saying wife, even though they are not married.... I already see them as married, as the p.o.v of that character sees the girl as the one he will spend the rest of his life with. It is more like a confident confession that can mean many things depending on the circumstances.

4. Pork_Supreme

Pork_Supreme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it has a lot to do with the formality in how you address people in most asian languages. There's a bunch of terms that imply differing levels of seniority and respect and using wife to refer to them would imply a different level of closeness. For MCs and villains, I think a lot of it comes from arrogance, I very rarely get warm fuzzies from the dudes who do that.
    Hell, as an American I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've referred to my wife just as "wife" rather than using her name or some nickname. Cultural differences, hooray~

mir likes this.
  5. Danis

Danis {(Harem Sect Leader)}{Trickster}&{Lurker}

Reading List:
    Link
    east and west have differend culture in east once they become fiance most of them will get married i know in west is ................................

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    But relationships don't always end up together... Wouldn't be calling your girlfriend feel pressured or 'too soon' kind of feel? I mean in real life lol. Never mind, then again back in the 70s girls always loved having promise rings while dating and young

Wow I've often heard women are portrayed lower then a man in CNs. Is calling "wife" perhaps that so they don't use actual name?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  7. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget that in ancient China most of the marriages were arranged marriages. The bride and groom rarely had any say in who they chose or when they married - it was mostly handled by their elders. An engagement was as good as a binding contract that tied two families together, just waiting for an auspicious date/age for the wedding. There were great negative consequences for breaking an engagement. So the question of whether the girlfriend feels pressured or not would have had very little meaning or importance to the ones arranging the marriage.

8. Tachi Works

Tachi Works Not a very well known member

Reading List:
    Link
    in cliché Yakuza romance mangas, you don't notice the entire gang call the girl "sister in law" when she doesn't even like the guy yet? It's basically just an adknowledgment of someone as your partner.

youre reading too much into it

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  9. Jastolus

Jastolus [Anti-Nihilist] [Captain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Marriage is just a ceremony. It has only as much meaning as it is given.
    Wife is just a title. If it seems appropriate, why not use it.

10. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the person how he expresses his love or how much love exists between the two people.

If you know and intend to spend the rest of your life with that person and cannot imagine another person in your life, what's wrong with that? Also, you will not likely say "wife" to someone who does not share the same feeling of sharing their life together. Love is about mutual will, being sure that you will spend your life with that person and cannot imagine otherwise is beautiful.

This is what I see when I see the MC calling the heroine his wife. Some are arrogant, too push but that's fiction... I think in CN and from my culture, the idea of calling someone wife before marriage is more of a declaration, confession in faith and confidence to spend the rest of your life with that person.

I will say, no man will call a women/girlfriend or fiance as a wife if the feeling is not mutual..... unless he has a screw loose or is a delusional psycho.

11. Askurai

Askurai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It kind of depends on culture and language. In my culture I never heard someone call his wife 'wife'. There may be nicknames/ pet names, that kind of thing, I don't know. so we would never do that cause it is a derogatory form of addressing.

it kind of depens where you live and your surroundings if you can understand it.
    well or just accept it as cn use it that way. it wouldnt be possible to translate.

as you can not translate kun, san, chan, sama, dono, etc into english cause there will be a loss of meaning if you do it.

What yakuza call their boss 兄貴 (aniki) so his wife will be called 姉貴 (aneki).

if really translate it, aniki means elder brother but is also a honorific which can be translated to boss. aneki means elder sister and can be used the same way as aniki.

strictly speaking it doesnt mean sister in law, but can have this tonation.
    it can also be used for close elder females, cousins etc. all depens on the position.

as for the yakuza it should be since thier boss is aniki, the partner of the boss = female = aneki.

well it is more or less my interpretation on that.

edit... i realy hate to write on a tab, too many mistakes

12. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you're taking it too literally. Which is why I personally don't translate 老婆 directly as "wife", but "wifey" a lot of the times, because it's just a close way of the man calling his partner. It's like how the girl would call her partner 老公, literally meaning "husband" even though they aren't married.

13. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    because its more pleasant to call her that, instead 'My Fiancee' how are you today? did you get good sleep? did you miss me?

Ex = How are you today My Wife? <> How are you today My Fiancee?

14. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

it's supposed to mean before anyone else, but everyone just uses it instead of babe....so regardless of what anyone says, its just shorthand for babe.

kinda like how everyone uses nigga instead of dude, so the definition of nigga is "bro, dude etc"

15. Yoru

Yoru God of the New World

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a term of endearment to make it sound like they are each other's property. It's kinda cute to do it irl.

16. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Couples in real life call themselves wifey, or hubby when they are not married yet.... Does it matter in novels?

17. Blushy

Blushy 【Procrastinator】

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it a pet name?

18. TheSupremeManificentSovereign

TheSupremeManificentSovereign Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not chinese...learning chinese though

19. kuppy123

kuppy123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My personal opinion is this: even in the western world, sometimes when a creep hears that some woman is another person's fiancee, their reaction would be "So what? It's not like they are married. All that matters is that I claim her first." Thus when a MC says a woman is his "wife/wifey" without actually being married, he is giving notice to the other males that she is not just a mere fiancee, and that he has already "claimed" her so to speak. An example of this can be seen in Ancient Godly Monarch when the MC proclaimed a female to be his wife, the horny evil dude stopped referring to the female as a "saintess" and started to refer to her as a "slut" because she had already been "defiled" by the MC.

TL:DR It is a way of placing a claim on a woman that infers you know each other in the Biblical sense so that horny evil dudes will back off a bit

20. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    You also have some CN novels where they aren't even engaged or in fiancee status yet, but they call each other Husband and Wife... :rolleyes: 夫人~相公
    It's like the logic of the Chinese telling their 'victims' to call them Daddy or Grandpa when the victims beg them for mercy lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.