Why do JP Manga love to skip volumes in the beginning?

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by lnv, Jun 25, 2022.

?

Should manga start from the begining?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It should start from the last volume

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    So I noticed on of the light novels I've liked now has a manga, except they are starting with Volume 6! Or more accurately end of Volume 5.

Why?!

Bonus points for anyone who can't read Japanese who can figure out the name of the light novel without image search cheating. (Hint: it ranks amongst the top 100 light novels(by reading list) on NU, and has the highest rating out of the JP novels)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  2. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    Could it be that it's a series split into arcs? Some novels like Re:Zero or Honzuki have a different manga series for each arc.

I don't read the series, but I have come across the synopsis. I'll go check if that's the case then return to edit the post with the answer if it is indeed split.

EDIT: @lnv it seems that, in fact, it's a series that I'm reading and I have just mistook it with a different one I'm not.
    I believe the reason in this case for the "skip" is more of a chronological reordering making the thing be an in medias res, yet chronologically correct. That arc (not volume; WN have no volumes and the series has only one published volume as of now), is technically a time skip that returns the MC to a previously not shown time in her life (?), so I believe that what they will do here is continue the story until she becomes aware, cut to the start of the first arc, then go forward until they reach the start of the manga.

EDIT2: Besides volume 1 of this novel's printed version, the author has 4 volumes in print of his already finished series Otome Survival plus one volume of the manga adaptation of said series.

3. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    It does have arcs, but they chose a really odd arc to start with because it does the least to represent the content of the story. And since they did it at end of volume 5, it is pretty much in middle of the arc

Though I don't think the series has other mangas if that is what you meant

4. Eccentricstate

Eccentricstate ❀ Face-Slapping Champion ❀

Reading List:
    Link
    It is a little unusual for a manga to start at volume 6. But generally, it has to do with pacing. What works for a novel won’t always work for a manga, so they may skip more draggy or unnecessary arcs to keep the pace flowing. Especially if the arc isn’t visually interesting. It’s similar to how a movie adapted from a book might be missing certain scenes.
    Obviously, this is done with varying success, and fans of the original work may be disappointed if it strays too far from the source material. That’s just the rationale behind it.

5. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    They started at pretty much end of volume 5, which is when she becomes self aware. But it is a weird place to start considering the first arc.

And yes I am aware the other title from the author has a manga, I was already reading it, then by coincidence noticed it had the same author. So I went to double check only to noticed adapted to manga for this one.

If I'd be honest, the 1st arc is better than this arc they started with.

Eccentricstate likes this.
  6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    That image definitely threw me for a loop, didn't at all fit my(somewhat lacking) memory of that novel. lol
    Think it might be that I lost interest in the novel around the point they decided to start the manga with.

As for the poll, I don't think it is necessarily bad to start an adaptation at a different point than the source material, just probably not well advised unless there is a well thought out reason for it.

7. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, when I first saw it. I had to double check that it was the same thing cause it confused me too. That is because the MC has blond hair through pretty much the entire story with exception of that arc. Add to it that the story happens mostly in medieval setting with exception of again that arc. It just kind of feels like them going "Okay, which point of the story least represents the novel? Let's go with that". Of course I've seen others that pretty much cut out the best arcs only to start at mediocre ones and then return to those arcs with a quick crappy flash back.

As far as this one goes, yes, it was one of the weaker arcs. I read 1 arc after this one, then stopped cause it went MTL.

Generally, the #1 reason I've seen arc skipping is to introduce the permanent cast. Cause they are afraid people will get too attached to the temporary cast and have push back. But this one is beyond me.

Nimroth likes this.
  8. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did it use flasshback for the previous vol then?

9. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Quiz answer: for the most part I prefer ‘Yes’. I like adaptions to follow the original story as much as possible. However, there are exceptions. Sword Art Online did a great thing by avoiding its manga as source material for the story boarding. That anime would have been a mess if it tried to adapt from the manga instead of the books.

Sailor Moon Crystal made the mistake of trying too hard to follow its manga. Original Sailor Moon may have had too much filler, but it also had character development occur over a reasonable period of time. Crystal compresses the story so much that it becomes… well creepy. The likes and dislikes of various characters are so dramatic without the nuance of a fleshed out backstory. The main cast becomes friendly way too fast. Chibimoon’s affection for her father and her brief turn as a villain doesn’t inspire the same sympathy as you barely have time to bond with her character or her struggle and obsession to be useful. Her complex love and resentment for her mother are also not explored as the bonding moments from fighting together simply don’t exist anymore. Let’s not forget the main couple either. MC has no chance to develop into being more than the immature 14 year old she is. ML is a college student and he matured early. They have no emotional basis at all past their previous life yet the ML still can’t resist kissing her in her sleep…. in episode 3!!! That’s a crime! That ‘filler’ in the original anime carried MLs hesitation and resistance to his initial attraction. He and his daughter come off so badly without that key emotional struggle to define their actions. In summation, definitely a case where the anime shouldn’t have tried to follow the manga so strictly.

Tbh, the SWO example is better since they introduced stuff from volume 2 directly into the volume 1 timeline for a chronological season 1. This turned Kirito into a bit of a player (lol) since it moved the focus away from Asuka, but my dislike of that is more of a personal preference. The actual effect on the anime was pretty good since it helped flesh out the story world more and resolved the issues that plagued the original manga.