Discussion Why do Koreans always ruin their novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by OldManGu, Aug 15, 2022.

1. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve fallen in love with a lot of Korean novels. But the authors always seem to ruin them around the middle of the story. A lot of them also have rushed endings that come out of nowhere. I’ve only seen a few that don’t leave me feeling cheated. I would say about 80% percent of them become straight garbage. I will never forgive Reincarnator for ruining everything and rushing the ending. It became unbearable to read after the video game arc. It quickly went from my favorite novel ever to my most disappointing novel ever. It was like the author went through a mid life crisis or something and ruined his whole story. It was literally like he took a big steamy dump right on his own book. The 2nd half of that story is nothing like the 1st half. It’s literally like they got a new author or something. I’ve never been so let down by an author in my life.

whitespade and 0000000 like this.
  2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Drunk dragon always rushes his ending but still manages to make it decent

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    OldManGu likes this.
  3. tekinwillie

tekinwillie TEKING

Reading List:
    Link
    I know some of them are due to the Author rushing to finish their novel before they enter military service. Don't really know about the others.

4. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, it is not just the koreans.

The CN endings are either always a one chapter "and they live happily ever after" with paragraphs/ sentences of texts that skim on the lives of the cast or an open end, as though the author has no idea on what he wants and just leave it at that.

I dropped Reincarnator cuz of the BS too.

Jred, OldManGu, TXHY and 1 other person like this.
  5. slarbi

slarbi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Every cultivation story ending is always them sensing a bigger area and then them going towards it

gingingin1605 and OldManGu like this.
  6. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've dropped a lot of novels because of that or the whole rinse and repeat thing they have going. I think my favorite of the worst rinse and repeat is when a novel hits the second arc and is basically the first arc with new names with the only difference is the MC being a one shot OP type or giving the excuse that he needs to be stronger again (and the MC could basically one shot kill the planet at the end of the previous arc).

OldManGu likes this.
  7. OldManGu

OldManGu Legendary Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never thought of that

CN stories turn to crap because the authors only care about pay for word. They drag their stories out with random gibberish just to make a few more yuan. The authors will even write what you tell them if you pay enough money. Korean authors feel like their rushing to get done a lot of times with only 300-500 chapters.

whitespade likes this.
  8. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not an ending. That's Ouroboros eating its tail again and again.

"It is as though that the authors lack creativity." (Sarcasm mode ON as the authors continue to milk their cashcows, kind of like what Disney is doing.)

And it is sad to say, to see something that could be filled with potential only to turn into shit as the authors pander to their readers.

I mean, I will suck dick if it pays well, so I can't complain. As well as the fact that I am a free reader ie I pirate.

Jred, whitespade and Geor like this.
  9. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    This is also the reason why after stories. Others put it on book 2's and 3's which is also equally terrible

10. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, look at Korean dramas and see how they have the same problem.

I don't know if they meant it to be unique and unpredictable ending but for me it is poor imagination and running out of ideas.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  11. Yasi

Yasi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One reason is money. New novels have the initial burst of readers/purchases and it taper off at later chapters. Korean authors want to finish their novel quickly so they can start another novel and make money.

What some people might not understand is that for the majority of authors they make very little money. Maybe a few cents per chapter. That's why rather than outright dropping a novel they just rush an ending.

I've spoken to the author of https://www.novelupdates.com/series/villain-hides-his-true-colors/ and his situation is like that. He can't make a living writing it...he only makes a few cents per chapter. His colleagues told him he should rush the ending, but he says he doesn't want to. So what is he doing now? Getting a job so he can support his writing.

It's a sad cycle. Erratic release schedule because he needs money but he's not making much money because his novel isn't popular because erratic release schedule.

Asf and whitespade like this.
  12. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh I never notice that. Maybe because I never finish one kr novel lol eventhough I always prefer Kr MC compared to jp and cn Mc. They are always the most human.

13. Haibara07

Haibara07 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm generally i love their works but i when ogfl became a bitch it feels so stupid

14. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk but i agree. Ive redt tons more KR novel outside Nu and they all suck from mid point to late.. id see like maybe 1 or 2 that do well in like 20 novel..
    Maybe their formulaic development and tending to go the template route after its initial premise or ideas ran out.
    I can litterally skip the mid to late part and go straight to the ending and I wont notice anything missing much. Thats how useless those part is

15. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually Koreans can write very good novels but they mostly make the ending bad so meaning they suck at making an ending...tsk!
    :blobangery::blobconfused::blobangery::blobangery::blobangery: