Question why do people join translation groups?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by cherryclan, Jan 15, 2018.

?

Would you join a group?

1. yeahhhhh b

35 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. nah

17 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the main appeal is to get an editor tbh, your text can always be improved somehow, and having an editor to help you would be a big plus.

Getting a TLC would also be amazing, but those are probably pretty rare...

2. iampsyx

iampsyx Have some rest, and let's do better tomorrow

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm most of the usual reasons have already been posted. As for me, I joined @Blob Translations because I thought it would be really fun to be in a translation group with my friends~! \o/

Another perk of being in a tl group would be getting early access to chapter updates for all the group's projects hahahhaha (though I dunno if other groups do things differently)

3. amethystically

amethystically Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the editor that would be assigned to you, if you don't wan't to look for one yourself.
    And also if you thought that group's output was good quality and you sort of wonder what kind of people they were :)

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    As a rouge translator myself, the two biggest benefits I see in joining a group is having a fresh set of eyes to proof/edit my translation. The second is more brains to pick at when I get stuck on certain lines. Unfortunately, I also enjoy working alone. The autonomy I have in managing my own site and seeing the progress I’m making gives me a lot of pleasure. Inversely, seeing my site do poorly gives me lots of grief. >.>

LynneSuzuran, pinkrainmi and Fuyuneko like this.
  5. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

too lazy to make my own site, and make it look pretty....was invited too, so might as well.
    granted, if I did run my own site, it wouldn't have any ads, so I suppose there is a drawback for readers? if you call static ads a drawback

6. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I have no idea.
    1. I pester translators to release more if they get lazy
    2. There are rules in place that restrict translators
    3. You have to standardize in how chapters are posted
    4. You're stuck with a Japanese name when translating a Chinese novel / overly shameless leader who names TL site after herself
    5. There might be someone who completely changes a sentence because you misTLed (you don't know how embarrassing it is)
    6. There is someone who checks the website for any bad grammar, bad links, or no comments enabled :blobdevil:
    I have no idea why these idiots joined my slave team.

...But it's fun here! Join us and let's become friends! :blob_grin:

...Okay, reasons for people to join a TL group:
    1. Why not? -Hentai Senpai ( @Sir_Spicious )
    2. Automated chapter navigation links and table of contents links -Lainconnue ( @Lainconnue )
    3. Pay
    4. Editors/TLC
    5. More people see translations
    6. No need to set up a site
    7. Being in a group is more fun than being alone

AliceShiki likes this.
  7. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    i love my group because they are sometimes... uh... lovely? lol
    like this convo
    Screenshot_6.png

AliceShiki likes this.
  8. Sir_Spicious

Sir_Spicious Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought why the heck not and joined Ebisu Translations, but our boss is such an annoying young master.
    He drives us like slaves, he wants weekly chapters, I want to translate once a year, weekly is way too much..
    Then you have that grammar nazi looking over everything you type and correcting you at every chance he gets.
    He also insults our intelligence constantly and how bad we are at the language we are translating.

But, Minvera, the loli goddess is cheering us on so I find a way to push through the hardships.
    Joining a translation team can be good, just don't get one that slave drives you.

JK. Ebisu Translations is pretty good, the rules aren't too harsh, you can more easily get people to proof read your stuff, get help with translating from people better than you and they have a loli goddess in the server.

I would say hurtful things to Lys, but NUF won't let me.
    I love you Minvera.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  9. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    You use light style?
    Ewwwwww.....
    Well, we have great conversations too upload_2018-1-18_5-48-13.png

Evil, am I not?
    Is this a confession? Are you an M?

10. Sir_Spicious

Sir_Spicious Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On second though Fyou Lys. My love is for Minvera only.
    Damn rich young master.
    And damn NUF's censoring of me talking bad about Lys.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    After some more thought, this conversation also lends itself to why or why not become the head of a translation group. In my case, I have trust issues with people. I suppose you could say, don’t pay them when they don’t contribute, but life could get in the way and they might never come back >.>
    Like I said, trust issues

pinkrainmi likes this.
  12. yukamichi

yukamichi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you have other people you can blame when something goes wrong.

pinkrainmi and kenar like this.
  13. isecai

isecai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I picked no because I'm a bit of a control freak and can be very egotistical about how I do things. (Or I'm fickle and like to tweak the smallest things all the time.)

That being said, if the group is more established and has a good future for the *cough*Patreon*cough* community management, I'd actually love to join. :)

yukamichi likes this.
  14. ScipioM

ScipioM :D

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally it's great to have a group to conplain about... language can sometimes be a little "special":);):emoji_spam::blobsalt::blobhero: and these little emotes show my emotions fluctuating as I translate... very quick 1-2 second changes between those... so yeah a group is great

15. plum

plum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead of answering the original question that was posted, I will answer a question that I came by which was "why would you become the head of a translation group?".

Being the head of any organization or a simple team project is hard work. You have internal management, website maintenance, recruitment, translate, and real life obligations to list a few. There is a lot of work and effort that goes in into every one of those categories. Sometimes a staff member don't coordinate with you as well thus you have to adjust your thoughts and pace with them. It is also especially hard since it is through the virtual screen. Sometimes staff members just go “poof" and you cannot do anything about it. Thus the novel that they were working on is left to the head of the group to handle and to recruit new staff to take over it.

I think that my main point is that behind every translated chapter, there is a lot of effort and work put into it.

kenar likes this.