Discussion Why do people sometimes not put the gay love tag on gay love novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by rijimon17, Nov 3, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    As an Australian, you've got that half borked. We call americans Seppos which derives from septic tank which rhymes with yank and also because americans generally tend to be full of shit.

2. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the correction. I always forget the actual word just remember it comes from septic tank.

Sabruness likes this.
  3. Eunusss

Eunusss Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well nice questions, maybe they just forgot or smth like that i guess

4. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the difference in native Japanese usage for GL and yuri and for BL and yaoi?

5. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    they want to pull you in the abyss of the yaoi genera.
    It will pull your soul in the abyss for an eternal damnation, in there you will see unforgettable things that will make you mind numb.
    trust me, I have been there (accidentally)

6. Shinygold13

Shinygold13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For more views, I guess? Which I frankly don't understand why. Most of us want to avoid reading what we don't want and tags are necessary for that. It pisses readers off to be handed something different from what the package implied, and in some cases, if they complain or criticize the author in comments or review they'd be called out as homophobic which would escalate into arguments because they all want to defend their respective principles and blah, blah, blah.

So, yeah, if authors are not including the tag when it is clear from the start that it should be there, it is for one thing and one thing only; views.

7. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what you call a surprise butt s3x.

baka8roukanako likes this.
  8. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shounen/Shoujo Ai: PG-13 technically does not involve explicit scene with the MC but might imply sexual relationship (not with the MC) between other characters without mentioning it explicitly.

Yaoi/Yuri: R-18 Might involve sexually explicit scenes or just simply up to fan service level but definitely have strong implications of sexual relationship between the MC and other characters.

9. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I like having the distinction of “shounen-ai/shoujo-ai” vs “yaoi/yuri” no matter what it means in the original Japanese (and I majored in Japanese in college, so it’s not like I have no appreciation for the language) because it’s far more effective than using BL and GL. BL and GL are umbrella terms the Japanese themselves use that encompass everything about the genre, but you know what? Sometimes, I wanna read smut, and am not in the mood to read something without it. Sometimes, I don’t wanna read smut, or anything to do with sex, and wanna avoid it. Having defining terms which can easily tell me whether something has sex in it or not (and not everything with sex in it is smutty), is extremely useful. Yes, the terms don’t mean the same thing in their original language of Japanese, but I’m okay with that. Because the Japanese don’t differentiate between stuff with sex in it and stuff without sex in it except sticking an R18 label on doujinshi, and I like knowing what I’m reading.

baka8roukanako likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.