Question Why do so many Second Chance MC's just play Videogames?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Aedenvuur, Sep 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aedenvuur

Aedenvuur Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This never made much sense to me. The grind of playing those videogames can't be the most efficient way to make money. I mean if persinally I was sent back in time ten years, I could farm A lot of bitcoin, buy Tesla and short GE and Sears. I wouldn't be playing a lot of fortnite, Dota or CODin hopes that they will make me rich at the end. And why wouldn't the developers patch your crazy powerful over the top lucky build? Makes no sense.

Personally if you found yourself back about ten or twenty years in the past what would you do?

2. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    I would hug my dad at least one more time before the cancer took him from us. That is what I would do with my second chance.

3. frenzy85

frenzy85 Not Well-Known Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    I can only think of one story where they go back in time to play a game. In it, MC had another goal, which was to get revenge. One Man Army, I think?

Most others have a catch, or aren't set in the modern world...?

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, its either that or business. We never get the normal life ones, we have one in japanese but the mc dude gotten crazy insane. Other than those we have korean/Chinese apocalypse/fantasy/godpocalypse ones

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They play mostly VR games which simulate fantasy worlds. That way the authors can get action and adventure in their novels with the MC getting a prescience cheat (via 2nd chance), instead of the more complicated transmigration into a fantasy world which the MC doesn't hv any foreknowledge of.

BTW, I agree it's stupid.

philosopher17, 0000000 and justmehere like this.
  6. CosmicInsomniac

CosmicInsomniac Well-Known Cultist

Reading List:
    Link
    Off the top of my head, there's Emperor of Solo Play, Rebirth of the thief who roamed the world, and Rebirth of the Legendary Guardian. I know I've read at least 1 more, but can't remember the name of it

7. KizunaAi

KizunaAi Cookie Lover ~ I love fuwa fuwa dolls ~

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to learn a lot of language and save my money ~~

ebonykun and Gen17 like this.
  8. Zion

Zion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easier to pass off plot contrivences as lucky chances or glitch exploits, allow the escalation to seem lethal but not actually result in anyone dying for real meaning you can keep recycling villians longer and generally lets them have a modern or near future setting while allowing their protagonists the chance to overwhelm their opponents in over the top battles.

0000000 likes this.
  9. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Great Thief
    Reign of the Hunters
    Pierce Heaven til it Breaks

10. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i think a gamer wouldn't know anything about stocks. As for the patch, usually in this kind of story, the game would be managed by a super AI and it should already been balanced(?)
    And the game in these kind of story would usually be very profitable.
    Those are just me trying to justify it, but i agree with you, it's kinda stupid

AliceShiki and 0000000 like this.
  11. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree.

I would've borrow money from the bank and bet 1 million dollars og was going to win TI 8 and TI 9.

Im sure the odds would be something like 1:100.

Pay back the bank afterwards.
    Although I'm not sure if the dealers going to honor the bet, or whether they're coming to kill me.

otaku31 likes this.
  12. manga2000

manga2000 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its always either playing games or somehow developing games with their random super specific and detailed memory.

But yeah, I'd invest in things i know will succeed or bring profit with little effort. Maybe trademark or patent something to get royalties.

otaku31 likes this.
  13. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess u don't know how casual they spend money on games right?
    Those Korean and Chinese spend so much on game that u wonder where they get money from

0000000 likes this.
  14. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    there's plenty of things off about game novels, and the MC doing it in the 2nd time around is hardly one of 'em... a single revolutionary game that's so important the entire world's economy, or even it's very existence, revolves around it (despite being so new and expensive that most people can't even afford the subscription, much less the equipment to play it), everybody and their grandmother seems to be completely obsessed experts that've been playing since before the alpha even existed and know almost everything about the game (except what the MC needs to know to just barely stay ahead), time is apparently something they can just warp at will (with a week's worth of 168 hours, or even longer, somehow being compressed into less than a day), some rich young masters will literally spend months before getting a single level (while some asshats can just earn 20+ levels in a single afternoon, if they're so inclined), maintenance that seems to happen daily and/or completely at random, and even skills that are so imbalanced that some have cooldowns longer than a month in exchange for turning the player into a veritable god for a couple minutes (seriously, this sort of shit should get people fired, not become something that's practically expected for top rankers to have)...

as for playing it in their second life, most of the time the MC was decent enough to get by, if not an absolute top tier pro, and with the game becoming so vital to the entire world (and RMT not being managed in any fashion), although it's weird they don't put a little more emphasis on the real world and investing, the game is basically some magical dream job that prints money if they're good enough, and they're more than enough for that. there's just no reason for them NOT to play it again, since they already have so much knowledge about the game and how to "beat" it.

AliceShiki, Vincent1873 and aattss like this.
  15. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, I suck at planning so I can't do those investing stuff so practicing the violin, or just not doing anything I did (in this timeline) that made me the way I am today. You know redoing it to get better result n stuff.

16. Wayang Emperor The First

Wayang Emperor The First 《The First Loli》《Cute Little Kid♡》

Reading List:
    Link
    Me? :blobthinkingsmirk:Well i will steal all the music and business idea i know :blobhyperthink:muhhahahahahahha!:blobcat_knife::blobcat_knife::blobcat_knife: Money money money:blob_nuffies::blob_nuffies::blob_nuffies::blob_nuffies:

17. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, everything doesn't make sense. If you were sent into the past, even by the smallest change, you can expect everything to change.

At that time, your reality is a different reality where company like Apple or Microsoft might not be the world dominant product as you may know now. In the worst case scenario, the world might go boom.

18. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's rather obvious why they'd play the game. It's not a normal game. If the game is so big that it takes over the world economy and they'd play whether they're rich or not then playing the game is a matter of course. There's no comparison to Fortnite. It's more like the internet in their world. So someone going back and getting in early on Apple or Microsoft doesn't make sense to you? Also there's not really a reason to bother making investments if you know for a fact that you can make a ton of money in the game and the money is more reliable. They're not hoping that it'll make them rich. They're pretty much sure of it. These games are essentially a new world and they've gotten the opportunity to be Christopher Columbus. Except a Christopher Columbus with a history book's worth of knowledge and a map ahead of time.

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I never read any novel where this happened, but from what other people commented, it seems like those games are gigantic almost-magical games that the world revolves around? In this case it makes sense they'd go play the game.

In a more generic way of looking at it though, you can simply think of it like... When you go back in time, you already are mature enough to handle your life better, and you also know enough to not need to put too much effort in remembering things you went through in the past, so... You'd have loads of free time because you would have an easy time at school, and you would also be able to ignore everything that you focused on back in your school days because... Well, you already did those, so might as well focus on other things.

Then, it depends at what point in life you went back to the past. If you're a teenager that got a second chance because of Truck-kun, most teenagers would probably want to just spend all their time gaming and enjoying life to the maximum without worrying about studies and what not... That just makes sense, they have an easy time rn, so they want to have even more fun than they had back then.

If the person was an adult though? They'd probably try to work in their dreams early on (like, if someone wanted to be a writer, they'd start writing as soon as they were a small child), when they had very little responsibilities and loads of free time, this way they could do what they never did as working adults. So they'd probably invest in things that give guaranteed returns (Bitcoins, Microsoft/Apple stocks, for example) and learn stuff they always wished to learn and what not. (like a new language, or programming, or drawing... You know, things like that)

It's all about the person's current point in life and looking back to what they wish they did differently. Teenagers generally don't have that many regrets and things they'd like to change, it's mostly adults that feel like that. So... Adults reincarnating would do things much differently than teenagers~

mir likes this.
  20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoken like one who didnt study the demographic reading the novels.
    Seriously though, you are asking a question that you answered yourself.
    You named so many games but could hardly name a truely profitable company.
    Neither Tesla or Bitcoin could be considered sound investments for anyone who knows what they are talking about.
    Just like you, the authors know more about gaming than investment, so it is easier and more believable to write about what you understand.
    Good investment opportunities would be companies like Alibaba then you have your usual suspects like Apple, Google and Microsoft.. also Amazon.
    If you want to read such a novel, here you go
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/god-of-money/
    upload_2019-9-21_14-22-0.png

Jojo775 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.