Discussion Why do writers love sucking their own country's ****

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by aliyothman83, Feb 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IndelibleWords

IndelibleWords Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like I want to contribute something starting with'as an African', but I fear mass triggering.
    :blobpeek:

2. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Really dont know "NEET Receives a Dating Sim Game Leveling System" got stopped seemingly cause one of the Villians was from China??? While so many other Novels describe People of other Countries as lower Life Form,Barbarians, Slaves and such and Open and Upfront, while saying the Mc´s Country´s People are Born Higher, Smarter, with More Rights and Such.

Araenn and Mnotia like this.
  3. SuchHappy

SuchHappy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Might be national pride, might just be wanting to appeal more to their country. Or in the case of China the novel might just be removed if the message of the book isn't "in line" with what is expected.

4. Rhydec

Rhydec Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They like the taste?....

bf likes this.
  5. jimmy1989

jimmy1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We will either have too much population to supply the world that riots will happen or it will be world war or cpuld be the corona virus lol who knows but live your life now :)

Melikachan, Dr_H_16 and 0000000 like this.
  6. xalienxgamerx

xalienxgamerx Mmm friend...

Reading List:
    Link
    No one calls Canada the Dominion of Canada they just call it Canada and no one calls China the People's Republic of China. There is no reason to treat The United States of America any different.

7. Nessle

Nessle Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well,you can say that everyone is patriotc in a way or other,for some countrys you can say that they have ,,a lot of pride" but wich country doesnt, but some have reasons to be or some are born and raised in an enviroment where you thnik the country is the most important and relate to the dark side of the history such as wars and whatsoever to be as such.And the censorship in most asian country ,you can say that there is no choice for a public figure to talk,,badly"about the country itself,so is for america, during the 20th century where they did what they did to become a mondial power and the power rose too quiclky to its leaders and therefore the citizens and these concepts appeared

8. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, as a Finn, I guess my national pride would be about cool pet dogs/cats, a lot of nature, cold winter and freedom to be one's own self... as long as you're not a total retard.

However, as a Finn, what I'd boast about to others is our high suicide rate, the annoying taxation, loneliness and depression, freezing here, short summer, and midsummer having the shittiest weather possible... even if it doesn't rationally have... it still will be raining/hailing/snowing with full cloud coverage and minus degrees.

Oh, and we'll definitely get "Finland, zero points" in Eurovision, our hockey team will lose championships at the last minute, and no one even needs to mention how far behind our football is.

9. Liron

Liron Well-Known (Failed) Prophet

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course there is. The Dominion of Canada spans... Canada. The People’s Republic of China spans... China. The United States of America does not span the whole of America, far from it, actually. The issue here is not a name contraction, it is just arrogance.

Dragon-sama, Dr_H_16, Araenn and 3 others like this.
  10. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Clearly your define Asia as Japan, China and South Korea. You should add USA too in your version of Asia. I am pretty sure they would fit well:blobangel:

asriu and runsing like this.
  11. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    You know you are kicking your own butt by saying that, right?:facepalm:

12. Nmaan

Nmaan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you honestly think the US is any better? Go to any gathering in the states and start repeating USA a few times and you'll end up in mass chant not long after. That doesn't happen anywhere else in the world. Also despite objectively being nowhere near the greatest country in the world it's still something that gets thrown about US folk as if it's fact. There's the self proclaimed leader of the free world nonsense, or the president being the most important man in the world, or the lie that's the US is the most powerful nation in the world, when realistically we all know China could cripple the US just by calling in its bonds, let alone its overwhelming military superiority.
    The same self hype and aggrandisation is present in a lot of works from the US be they novels/comics/films/tv series or even the news.
    These types of threads pop up every so often, usually with just a slight variation, but the only reason why you don't realise how bad it is in the US is because you've grown up around that if you live in the Western English speaking world where US media dominates the landscape. It's just part of your day to day life, so it's jarring when you see it in the works of other cultures. Also works of fiction tend to exaggerate characteristics good and bad for the sake of the story which is something you should be able to recognise so you're seeing a far more extreme viewpoint than you would otherwise.

asriu, Dr_H_16, runsing and 3 others like this.
  13. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    This is not exactly a new issue. Just look at the good old religious books. The countries are simply following suit. The purpose of vilifying those not in your group (religious or national), is to give a sense of superiority to those already in the group, and to create a desire to join said group. Also nothing unites a group more than a common enemy. Finally, people like to be on a higher moral ground, even if said morality is based on lies. Hence the other group is treated as trash/devil/barbarians.
    As to why modern writers are so biased, it's basically due to stereotyping in media they are exposed to. They forget the fact that what they see and hear is just a small part of the whole and not at all representive of the entire group.

14. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    thank you!

15. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    actually we have quite a few people saying "fuck America" here. But I would like to see that done in china, after all if they are soooo accepting of protests in Hong Kong, i'm sure China will be equally accepting if not more so for one of their citizens inside their republic condemning their nation. That is freedom right there.

16. Monrai

Monrai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's true, sometimes I can't even read a novel normally because of the racism that writers have towards some of the nationalities.
    I would say Japan case is different from Germany, they never really properly apologized or admitted to all the atrocities they've committed towards Chinese,South Koreans and others from Asia. Though, Chine is the same and probably some Asian countries too. The hatred towards each other runs deep in the Asian region. Almost, the same as Balkan region.

Dr_H_16, Araenn, bf and 1 other person like this.
  17. Monrai

Monrai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, about America issue, if I'm going to be pedantic the continent should be called The Americas, no?
    Not just America.

mir and xalienxgamerx like this.
  18. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn

kenar, bf and otaku31 like this.
  19. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    never be afraid to speak the truth. In the immortal words of Usher "forget about game ima spit the truth, wont stop till i get em in they birthday suit"

IndelibleWords likes this.
  20. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While that is correct the Japanese never truly apologized for it or went trough the cleansing germany did. The ressentment is a lot higher because of it.

mir and bf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.