Why do you choose to continue to live on? What is your reason to live?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sarang, Mar 24, 2016.

?

What is your purpose for living?

1. I have none.

27 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. My own Happiness

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Others happiness

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. Family

7 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. Revenge

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. Money

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Fun/enjoyment

11 vote(s)
    11.0%
  8. Because I want to..

10 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. Because life is precious, a gift

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  10. To leave a mark in the world before I die (good or bad)

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  11. God(s)/religion(s)

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  12. To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Take over the world/destroy the world

5 vote(s)
    5.0%
  14. Haven't thought about it

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  15. Don't care, I just am

12 vote(s)
    12.0%
  16. I live so I can die

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  17. To love

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Sex

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Other.. (can't think of anything else.. sorry if I didon't get yours just write it below ;))

6 vote(s)
    6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    "In man’s life his time is a mere instant, his existence a flux, his perception fogged, his whole bodily composition rotting, his mind a whirligig, his fortune unpredictable, his fame unclear. To put it shortly: all things of the body stream away like a river, all things of the mind are dreams and delusion; life is warfare, and a visit in a strange land; the only lasting fame is oblivion." - Marcus Aurelius

I live because there are still things to see in this strange land, and because afterwards I won't be me anymore. before I go home, I want to satisfy my curiosity.

Novelty likes this.
  2. Sarang

Sarang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite the intellectual, does that mean you will or are persuiting a research or scientific career? Or just personal curiosity to quell?

3. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I qualify for the title of intellectual, but thanks. I'm not pursuing a scientific career, no. the humanities are where most of my curiosity lies. more specifically religion, philosophy, literature and history. psychology as well; anything that deals with human nature basically.

4. mortezamoeinimm

mortezamoeinimm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    like i said i am afraid of death and this is my solo reason for keep living it dos not matter if some one else want to kill me or it is suicide i am afraid of both of them. in the end i have no reason for my life it just i have to keep living without any reason and it is quit depressing special in my country (iran) most of people are just steping stones for others of course i know overall is like this but iran is very bad in this aspect.

5. Sarang

Sarang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahh well I think you're at the very least knowledgeable. Imy quite impressed by people quoting hahahaha
    Mmm yeah me too I enjoy it too which is one of the reasons I started this thread. So are you pursuing careers in the mentioned list of curiosities?

6. Sarang

Sarang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmm so does it maybe want you to pursue immorality? I know it's quite extreme but I find where most people are afraid it can push people to the extremes. 0:

mortezamoeinimm likes this.
  7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    like tour around the world, become a lazy rich person, have a big poultry, marriage, have children, see my siblings success ect there still long way to go so way stop to live?

8. mortezamoeinimm

mortezamoeinimm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nope i just wait till death arrive you know when death is unexpected it way way less fearful so let evervthing go as it wishes and die at the end immorality is a grate pain man think about it i just reached 20 years old this year and already am tired of life

9. Nargol

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really capable of pursuing a career in anything. but if I could, I think I'd like that.

10. false

false Today is always the best day ever~

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, i think human and animals is the same in that sense.

11. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be or not to be that is the question...

There's much that I still want to try and do. Nothing grand like change the world or the like but small personal interests and quirky fascinations built up over the years.

I want to learn how to draw/model and animate in 2D and 3D, maybe create a game. Blender/Unity maybe CryEngine. On the downside I have very limited artistic skills.

Learn how to throw a knife -I've spent over 8 hours but still can't get it to stick point first reliably. Maybe I'm incompetent when it comes to knife throwing. I have basic archery skills, ok rifle skills and decent pistol skills so I thought I should be able to learn knife throwing.

Thought about learning how to hunt but seeing a video on field dressing at the end of hunter education... Don't think I can pull the guts out of an animal. Will take a bow hunting class in April though.

Also want to learn how to fight with a spear and rappel off a wall.

I guess my point is that you have to find something that captures your interest -regardless of how meaningful it is to others around you. Although considering we're on this site most of us are already practicing escapism in copious amounts. I'm currently following some 10-20 translations. Without translations and the plethora of fantasy novels on kindle I would be so much more productive...

Plus the undiscovered country could be Kender Hell, Dante's Inferno or just oblivion.

12. Deep

Deep NO TITLE

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason for living is to find one.To find what one want and to fulfil it.To make it simple just live if ur heart says so and follow ur hearts path. U can get the reason at the end

13. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    he/she/it(? citation needed) posted a poll asking something, I answered it. I can't see how this can get more relevant than that.

I live therefore I am, I have no meaning to my existence and I accept that, What will be will be what happens happens, I do not fear what naturally should come to pass(death) Yet I DO NOT seek it. on a side note I don't avoid pain(nor do I seek it), nor do I actively seek pleasure(nor do I deny it).

In an oversimplified way: I am what I am and I am fine with it.

I'm like life, I just am.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  14. Qianweijia

Qianweijia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For the sake and promise of a better future

Novelty and Sarang like this.
  15. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehh?! There's no "because i want to troll people" option :(
    *cough**cough* i mean there's no "meat" option

Novelty and DeadlyBell like this.
  16. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm waiting for VMMORPG , for enjoyment

17. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hang on are you looking for

Reasons to not die?

or

Reasons to live?

Two wildly separate categories. I can have absolutely no reason to live, but if i can find one reason to not die i can power on through. (and contrarywise i could have no reason to not die, but as long as i have a reason to live still pursue that goal.)

18. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if apathy is the natural result once there's no struggle for basic needs in life or is it that natural selection used to weed out apathetic people when/where life required more struggles.

It's been a slow translation day, and I can't focus on Blender tutorials... Hence the rambling.

19. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    Change the title, reason and purpose is different thing. Purpose is what, reason is why.

DeadlyBell likes this.
  20. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have any paticular reason to live. But one thing I know. Never back down, never give up, always move on. To become faster, stronger, better in many ways...

I don't care reason. I just I am.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.