Discussion Why do you like a certain genre?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Grand_Rider_Iskandar, May 23, 2021.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the kingdom building and dungeon core, especially dungeon core for a very simple reason. I like RTS. I like watching RTS pro tournaments to be exact. Dungeon core seems to be the closest one for that. This is also why I read Starcraft fanfics with the zergs as the protagonist. Put zergs anywhere and they'll probably survive. The only SC fanfics that I've read are the only ones that focused on the RTS part of the game.

2. Kirikaize

Kirikaize Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like transmigration, reincarnation, time travel and similar ones. I like things like getting a second chance, learning from experience, tragedy with a happy ending, fluff and angst.

I like how their behaviour changes based on their experience, how things work out at the end, and hopefully good people have good endings.

3. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    It's ironic, but despite being aromantic, I veryuch enjoy romance novels. Well, I also like the Dexter tv show but I swear I'm not a serial killer. Anyway, I very much hate the subtle gender stereotypes that can be easily found in bg novels, and BL, quite often in my experience is basically bg, but there is aan instead of a woman, so I'm not that into it, though I do have an easier time reading it. Yuri though, while also sometimes failing to provide me with stereotype-free plots, quite often gives me more of an emotional story, with characters not being as bound to their sex much as to who they really are as individuals.
    Quite naturally, I prefer romance-free novels though.

Then my favourite genre of all time would be fantasy. There's something incredibly appealing about a world full of magic. I guess it's either me still loving fairytales from childhood, but longer and presented in an easier way, or me just digging the idea of magic.
    Sci-fi, I can't stand. The authors who write it often don't understand many things about science and technology and it's just not as interesting to read.

Like quick transmigration quite a lot. It's because the short stories usually have a sense of finality and completion, while not leaving an empty taste iny mouth when they end, since we still get to continue the journey along with the protagonist

ianakitten73 likes this.
  4. Sirusblue

Sirusblue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like harem and romance genre. Why? because it adds flavor to the story. No, I don't like MC that think with his d*ck. Let's just say I thirst the affection the MC receives from his harem member. I also like romance because of the same reason.

5. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like QT, since it's short and fun! blobmelt_thumbs
    I like romance horror, since it's thrilling but scary! :blob_ghost:
    I like scum abuse, for all the tear jerking moments! :blobsob:
    I also like pretty much anything BL~ :blobtaco:

6. powwder

powwder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i like cooking and food novels because i am a man who has eaten a large variety of food and alcohol and haven't experienced the magic of food in a long time. Like don't get me wrong, food is delicious and i still greatly enjoy eating my favorite meals but at this point in my life i don't think i can ever eat anything and be surprised or blown away by the taste like in novels and manga. just once in my life do i want to eat a meal that brings me to tears and leaves me with no regrets.

StressedByTheBooks likes this.
  7. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like thrillers and mysteries(LOTM), fantasy and slice of life(Life, Once Again), crime and police,(Crazy Detective), and thriller and romance.

8. Mr. Tired

Mr. Tired Professional Idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    I like a lot of genres and can read pretty much anything and enjoy it. I really have a deep love for thrillers, some horrors, and mysteries~
    I love when it's from the antagonist's point of view too since you can see their 'reasoning' behind their doings.
    It doesn't make it any less bad, or 'let them off the hook' but I get to see their perspective as to why they're choosing to do what they are doing.

And gore, gore, gore, gore, gore~

Also, romance stories are fun (all).

9. aintg

aintg Fairy Queen of the Demonic Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    I like fantasy and sci-fi, but sometimes mystery and at rare occasions horror. I read romance sometimes too, but the story has to be rather realistic.

10. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite genre right now is historical novels, and while I do have a lot of interest in history, this interest isn't the reason why. I've read historical novels for a very long time and while enjoyed them for this whole period, it wasn't until I read 回到明朝当王爷 in 2017 that it really clicked for me. This book (and the other historical novels by the same author) blew my mind when about what's possible in the genre, and the worldbuilding is at a level that just can't be accomplished in any other genre.

I read fake historical novels as well. These are books that are written just like the historical novels except that the setting is fictional (although often informed by history). It's almost the difference between the two can still immense. This kind of book just has way less impact because they're just not real. There's just so much more power with the proper historical novels.

11. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite genres are mystery and sport novels/any form of media in general.

Mystery because I really love seeing a genuinely smart protagonist deal with problems in methods that I couldn't have thought of and the way it keeps you at the edge of your seat throughout the book is really nice.

Sports - The learning curve and the issues that come with trying to be a professional in any sport are probably some of the toughest that any real life occupation can have. Also, it's the best form of realistic action one can have without violence.

I love anything with a good learning arc too. I like it when the MC slowly learns stuff and gets stronger in the book rather than having a time skip or an MC who already knows literally everything before the start of the book.

12. wasntbornyesterday

wasntbornyesterday Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like genderbender, supernatural, school life, thriller, fantasy, mystery
    I like genderbender, and mystery most of the time it has strong MCs and I enjoy how all the clues build up (its not always like that in genderbender thats why I don't like all of them just some)
    I enjoy thriller because <
    Fantasy is nice because^
    Supernatrual has lots of plots, many of which include somewhat of the genres above sometimes there are sub-plots that don't affect the story in a negative way.

13. ListlessCat

ListlessCat ࿈༼The Anarchic Witch༽࿈ ⦑⤉notsoGoody Good Shoes⤈⦒

Reading List:
    Link
    I like BL with a infinite flow kind of plot. Not only do I read about two boys falling inlove slowly. BUT MYSTERY! PLOTWIIIST! AND SOME HIDDEN LORE AND SHT!!
    Its just exciting to read lol

14. ianakitten73

ianakitten73 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hallo! I'm currently a sucker for romance, Bl or str8. Haven't explored gl yet.
    I like it cuz irl I'm not romantically interested or maybe I'm just emotionally numb. So reading people fall in love gets my heart beating and I cheer for their love too! I just enjoy riding w/ the protagonists' emotions and feel them too, love, hate, hurt betrayal, all of them "good" or "bad". Especially in lockdown as we're not really going anywhere.
    I especially like HE but tragedy & good angst to make me cry feels nice too. BREAK MY HEART TO PIECES. It's a very satisfying heart ache.
    Oop, that part's definitely cuz of emotionally numb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.