Discussion Why do you love that type of novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by BigFoodie, Aug 3, 2022.

1. BigFoodie

BigFoodie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've asked myself this type of question when my friend asked me why I read sign-in novels.

So why I love sign-in novels genre is not because of the MC but the "side characters", theirs stories specifically.

In most novels of that genre the MC is usually low-key, OP and doesn't do much in the story except helping when the situation is dire. :)

So the author should do somethings for the reader to continue to stays and reads (because seriously no one is gonna read a story about someone who just cultivates for 500 chapters) and that's where the side characters come to play.

In most novels that I read the "side characters" can be MC of their own stories and what I love the most is their 'character development'.

Seeing someone so hateful at the beginning growing up, maturing and realizing the bad things he had done in the past is just satisfying.

E.g: the fifth prince killed many of his brothers (who btw didn't want the throne) to be emperor, he succeded but after many years he felt guilty and just wished to atone for his crimes and changed his personality.
    While he didn't have a good life (with all the backstabbing and the clans wanting to do a coup) he wasn't sad and just thought it was his karma for all his wrongdoing.

This is the main reason why I love sign-in novels.
    So what type of novel do you read and why do you like it ?

P.s: if you can recommend me some novel who have that type of setting (the MC is low-key and OP as hell but doesn't do much except guides some people, and we sees the lives of others) I would be grateful. ^^

2. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of novel are sign-in novels? I've seen it thrown around, but I never really understood what it was

Lunaix likes this.
  3. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Camping.........:sushi_sleeping:

4. BigFoodie

BigFoodie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a type of novel where the MC can sign-in (like how you do in some apps) in different locations and obtain some sort of rewards (if it a Cultivation novel, he can obtain pills, weapons, manuals... If it a Modern novel, he can have cars, money...
    ).
    It usually depends on what type of novels, but in some the MC can only sign-in one time a day (if he signs in the Palace he can only sign in another location, another day) or in others he can only sign-in one time in one location a day (like he can sign in the imperial pharmacy and other places in one day but only one time)

I'm sorry if the explanation doesn't makes sense, I'm very bad at explaining (╥ω╥`), but I hope it kinda helped

Sign-in can also be called check-in

Lunaix and Baldingere like this.
  5. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    So MC is a task taker, who has a system through which he transmigrates to places to do stuff, before going back to his real world?

Lunaix likes this.
  6. BigFoodie

BigFoodie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a novel with this setting:

Hide in the Banished Palace and Level Up To A Big Boss

7. Shorng

Shorng Rotten BL Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh, is it like, if the MC does something he will get something in return? Like a mission reward or something? It sound so confusing (n)

BigFoodie likes this.
  8. BigFoodie

BigFoodie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No he just gets reward(s) every day for free, he just needs to get to the right place to get those

No, he transmigrates when he dies in his own world and get the system in his new world (usually it's in Cultivation novels) or he suddenly gets the system in his world (Mostly used in modern settings)

Here, their explanation is better than mine

9. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe this could make it clearer:
    There are games where you get some kind of bonus when you sign-in (one bonus per day.) It might be another roll for you gacha game, a skin for your gun, some in-game money... it's a bonus you get from doing an action, which is signing-in the app at least once a day.

Take that frame and put it into a story and you get a sign-in novel.
    "Go to the bathroom."
    "Go inside your sister room.
    "Go to the North Pole."
    "Eat a donut."
    (well probably not the last one, but you get the point.)

10. BigFoodie

BigFoodie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep but usually the system doesn't tell them (mc) where to go but it the mc who try to see if this place can be signed in

Senros likes this.
  11. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    I love action, fantasy and adventure. the main reason why is because it's an amazing world to admire. Adventure shows the natural world, fantasy shows another cultural aspect of the adventure side and action since it's a part of fantasy and in turn culture. What happens, in the end, is a total mythical world that is beyond its individual parts.

Well, If it's done correctly.

ragingphoenix likes this.