Discussion Why does my heart and breath almost stop during elevation?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't find anything related online, so I'll ask here instead.

When I'm on an elevator and it goes up or down, and in that exact moment, my heart or chest tighten and as if there is a force stopping my breath and heartbeat for (few or a) second/s. I'm not sure if it hurts or not, but I do feel numbness momentarily occupying my chest every time an elevators starts moving (not during movement).

During its lift, up or down, I can somehow handle it while feeling the resistance of gravity, but that part where it starts going up or down, its like I'm getting choked and punched hard the same time. No pain (maybe), but the force is concentrated on my heart specifically. It's annoying and probably the reason why I hate getting on them; likely became a phobia of mine now.

I'm not claustrophobic if you're wondering and I don't have fear of heights.

2. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you tried to consult that with a doctor?
    I found this thing called angina on healthpartners.com which is, in my opinion, fit your description.
    "
    • Signs of angina can also differ between men and women. For example, women often report sharp chest pain, whereas men say they feel chest pressure.
    • Discomfort may not start or stop in your chest. Pain, pressure, tingling or numbness in your back, neck, jaw, arms and other areas nearby is also possible.
    • Chest or upper body pain or pressure may not be the only thing you feel. You could also feel dizzy or breathless
    There are two types of angina: stable and unstable. Stable angina is more predictable and only lasts for a short time. For example, you may know that when exercise, climb stairs or feel stressed out you’re more likely to experience angina. Unstable angina on the other hand may appear unexpectedly, feel more intense, last longer than just a few minutes and will require medical attention."

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  3. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to WebMD it’s cancer. You’re fucked, sorry. :blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful:

4. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe due to the increased pressure or gravity from a sudden acceleration? I hated the Tower of Terror at Disneyland because I couldn't breathe while it was in motion. I had to exhale then take a deep breath in the short moments when the ride stopped moving. (There's no way off after getting on, so I had to wait until the ride finished.)

The photo the ride took showed me in the middle of trying to breathe, so my family thought the ride scared me. (which was technically true, since I wasn't sure I'd survive long enough for the ride to end.)

5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Gravity, g-force, weightlessness, acrophobic feeling

Mnotia likes this.
  6. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I don't think its serious enough to warrant a consultation in this times.
    Not cancer, because it only happens during elevators or when I see PCs jump down from tall places in video games.
    Most likely yes, but I want to know why such an effect on me? Everyone else seems fine or normal except me during elevation.
    I don't have acrophobia and the gravity isn't fast or strong.

01 likes this.
  7. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, you need to check your symptoms before it's too late.

8. Scyphoza

Scyphoza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive watched all of House, DR Who, and read some of WebMD. Now that you have my doctor qualifications out of the way, I think its cancer and you need a heart amputation. But its not a big deal people have two hearts just like lungs so you should feel fine.

9. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Phobias are a lot more complex than just 'heights' or 'small spaces'. It could even be a specific phobia of elevators due to a memory , or something you don't consciously remember that's similar in motion, for instance a parent holding a child and lifting them up and down but then dropping it *whoops* something like that would leave residual responses to similar event.

i.e. they artificially induced a phobia of lab rats in a child, and as he grew up the phobia's 'neurological pathway' spread out and connected to things that have things in common, which in this case was a gray rat, gray fur, gray hair. Ending up with a phobia that got triggered around seniors or santa...

10. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a chance it is related to blood pressure. Elevators exert vertical acceleration on the body, which messes with blood pressure more than horizontal acceleration. That said, you should not feel such a strong effect from it.

Just because it seems more annoying than lethal, does not mean you should skip telling your doctor about it. If it has been happening your entire life, you can wait until your next check up to mention it. But if this is a new thing, take the time for at least an online appointment sooner rather than later.

11. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Does this reaction occur if the elevator has glass walls so you can see outside? Does it happen with escalators? Is there a difference when you ride an elevator in a "short" building compared to one in a skyscraper, which has faster movement.

Perhaps it's related to pressure in your inner ear changing which can cause some people to feel dizzy.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  12. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    I just thought of a test you could do. It will require an empty, unmonitored elevator and a willingness to try anything. Get in the elevator and press the open door button to give yourself a few seconds. Next lay down on the floor of the elevator (knees bent is fine as long as your torso and head are horizontal). Now see if you get the same reaction when the elevator starts moving. If you do it is more likely to be a psychological issue such as a phobia. If you do NOT feel the same sensation, then you know it is a mechanical issue with your body (when you experience vertical acceleration) and that you need to see a doctor.

13. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    Instincts. People weren't made to just move at speeds in a metal box.

14. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It could just be your body type. The g-force and acceleration are probably what's causing the reaction. Perhaps you have a bigger body/neck/head so you feel more pressure on the way up. Perhaps your bones are naturally closer to your lungs and heart, and the suppressive effect is increased for you when the pressure pushes in on your ribcage. Or you might just have a weaker heart than other folks, and the comparatively small pressure for others is actually enough to slow down your heart rate significantly. You could check family history for these things, but it's all just conjecture unless you actually go see a doctor. Odds are you are fine, but if you notice any other odd things you should probably get it checked.

15. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe get your Blood pressure tested, even ecg for safe side....actually even better just visit a doc when you are in doubt

16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, we are not doctors., this is a fantasy novel forum. At best we can tell you that your heart will explode with manaand awaken your special powers.

So you should simply ask your doctor in your next visit.

But taking an educated guess, as mentioned it's probably the g-force. Humans in general do worse with vertical g-force than horizontal one. This is why when launching into space, astronauts tend to be facing upwards instead.

17. Isaac20

Isaac20 Dark Lord | RS

Reading List:
    Link
    It is Newton's third law. I think you only have anxiety, not phobia. Many people have strong misconceptions about elevator safety. They fear of enclosed spaces and being trapped without a means to escape. Try to lower your fear by riding an elevator every day with someone. Don't do that alone first.
    If you still can't control the situation, find a therapist. Good luck mate!