Discussion why doesn't BL novels ever consider test tube babies?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Kumo723, Jul 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought that too, but when this post first came out I looked it up, and IVF seems to be on the rise in China? Unless you mean something different...

2. tailor31415

tailor31415 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are some that have this, or at least the subject of it is brought up. usually the "alternate history" ones where it's basically present day but China is more accepting as a society or scifi/future settings will have characters like the parents suggest some type of surrogacy (and then the ML reveals the MC is pregnant or already had a baby through supernatural means lol)

3. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On the surrogacy point, I stumbled upon this article which might explain the mentality behind it (surrogacy and IVF). Perhaps I misworded but I honestly didn't know how to actually define it. It's not illegal in terms of laws (like official acts etc), but the government has a ban on them. Sort of like the One/Two-Child Policy. By law, you are allowed to have an extra child if you pay the penalty, but you'll have to dodge all the authorities chasing you down to force abortion on you first. So technically...not legal?

From what articles I've read, IVF is okay but not if it involves a third-party to be the mother. However, all of those laws don't really ban citizens from flying overseas and getting whatever they want done (or via grey areas - aka like how motorcycles are banned in China's cities but you can still see them going around because no one really enforces the rule).

Edit: To qualify for IVF in China, you must be a married couple and have all the medical checks done. It's apparently very strict as you must have proven you can't give birth as a couple first.

Hail Taiwan on their progressiveness. Unfortunately, most of the CN novels we read are from China. There are specific sites for Taiwan stories but I...I can't really be bothered for now.

LaDyViL and Anra7777 like this.
  4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    It sounds rough. I feel sorry for the people who want to have kids but can’t because of this. Thank you for the information!

5. so-chintzy

so-chintzy One of the editors for Yukkuri Translation Service

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess that explains all the het novels where surrogate mothers are literally just paid sidehoes who have sex with the rich scum father & there are like no actual medical professionals involved lol.

6. 25th bamm

25th bamm A Self-proclaimed Normal Reader and Tea lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Number One Lazy Merchant of the Beast World also has test-tube babies. Transmigrated Into a Big Boss to Snatch Away the Cannon Fodder also mentioned a surrogate. I can't think of any with adoption but that is also a common way for parents to have kids. Anyways I think most authors never think about children. If you wanted more with kids you could use the tag childcare.

7. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would you happen to know the Chinese version of the tag? I never knew this genre existed and now I wanna satisfy my curiosity. I only ever saw 1 novel that's actually good childcare and that had no tags for it.

8. 25th bamm

25th bamm A Self-proclaimed Normal Reader and Tea lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry I don't. The best I could suggest is to make a thread and ask some more knowledgable nuffians. I also know NU has a single parent tag so if you wanted to check that out that might help?

Shibb likes this.
  9. Shadowdrop

Shadowdrop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This tag is for all novels, including Chinese

Try Series Finder, tag Language > Chinese, Genre [OR] > Shounen Ai, Yaoi, Tags [AND or OR, try AND first, then OR if you need a broader search] (Include) Adopted Children, Childcare (Exclude) Mpreg
    This should give the biggest probability of finding a BL novel that has adopted children and has no mpreg

Or just click here to go directly to search results

10. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek: I think they meant the Chinese version of the tag, the ones that danmei novels use on on9 publishing platforms...

11. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. I was specifically looking for the tag in Chinese (since I'm too impatient to wait for translations). I'll start my search from these novels.
    Ehe. You know me (my kind) well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.