Discussion Why is Losing Money To Be A Tycoon rated at 4.1?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Grand_Rider_Iskandar, Apr 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why? The only reason I reached 500 chapters is because I'm bored enough. And it's not a pleasant experience. The MC has no desirable traits. His moral compass is neither black, nor white, nor gray. He's just trash, a human shaped trash. A cardboard cutout human garbage.

He is lazy. He is greedy. He does not care about anyone but himself. He will willingly destroy the futures of the people who trusted him because it is benificial to himself. He only sees his subordinates and ventures as money sinks. The only reason why he gave "wellfare and good treatment" to his subordinates is because it is one of the only way the system allows him to spend money. He repeats it over and over again that if the system allows it, he will wilingly throw away money.

The sad irony is that when he unknowingly copy-pasted a Black Mirror episode for a movie script thinking it would bomb because the plot is cancer according to him. He didn't see that he is basically the protagonist. Even when the film company polished and released the movie, he still didn't understand. The only question that went into his mind are "Why is this garbage being praised by the critics?" and "How can I sabotage this film?". Yeah, he's an idiot. For me, this is the highlight of the first five hundred chapters that I've read. It really showed how full the MC is of himself. He know's nothing and he acts as if he knows everything. And he is too stupid to realize why gamers liked the game his company publishes. He's supposed to be a gamer but he knows jack shit.

Here are the following games that were published by his company though granted that the first two became known by the players because of luck:
    1. Lonely Dessert Road - a Dessert Bus rippoff that is practically free, refunding isn't even worth it.
    2. Ghost General - a TCG for mobile with a very, very excellent and fresh art style that is practically free for it's quality.
    3. Ocean Stronghold - a fps that is easy for for casual and newbie players to get a hang to. Has a good storyline that was made by his workers. New pvp modes. The only in-game purchase is basically just a weapon skin. Hell, I can even picture Mark Brown praising the healing mechanic on GMTK.
    4. Game Designer - a Stanley's Parable ripoff but it's about the process of making games.
    5. Repent and Be Saved - a souls like targeted at casual gamers. Though the players accepted it purely because of luck. Especially the targeted at casual players part.
    6. GOG - LOL but with no bugs, balance, and way better graphics compared to season 1 LOL. And he released a 9.5 million yuan prize pool on the same week the game was released.

This story is like those xianxia "classics" with copy-paste plot and zero character development. At most, I would rate this at three stars, three and a half stars is pushing it. The only good thing it has is that I don't have to turn off my brain that much.

evil lnfant likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's some kind of weird anti-capitalist statement. Wouldn't be surprised to hear it's state sponsored. :hmm:

3. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    Why on earth are you reading it like it's supposed to be a heroic story? This series is clearly meant to be a comedy about someone who keeps trying to do something (lose money) and the universe conspiring to make him fail at that. Read it in the same way you would read about Wile. E. Coyote trying and failing to catch the Roadrunner. Or Tom failing to catch Jerry.

TXHY, I your Father and Reack like this.
  4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    > Title
    Assuming Ratings of NU are accurate. Ratings on NU mean jackshit

5. I your Father

I your Father Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's meant to be funny.
    Of course you have some kind of moral but it's still meant to be a laughing story.
    I've never taken it seriously and with each arc i'm trying to guess how he is going to fail to lose money.
    Don't take it seriously, it's a system based story.
    And don't forget that he isn't in the past, he is in the past of a parallel dimension which explains why he can be successful. It can even explains the weird mindset of his employes.
    IT'S A PARALLEL UNIVERSE.

Chill out.
    It's one of my favourite stories and i can understand why you don't like it but what you're criticizing is the originality of the story. I coud've undrestand if you spoke about plotholes or problems with narration but you're criticizing the concept itself. He is trying to lose money. And he is trying hard to do IT. The universe says "no, you're going to make money". It's the story of a guy from our world who is sent in the past of a parallel universe trying to use his knowledge to lose money. But it is a parallel universe, things are different, people are different. So it's normal that things doesn't go as he expect.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  6. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    *Reads Thread*
    *Remembers my Rating and my first review*

Haah....I'm too lazy to counter rant since its too tiring but at least I have to defend my first every review.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————

The story focuses on the MC losing money. He is in an alternate world where some histories had change. He gets a system that only gets HIS OWN money if he loses it. He can't even buy himself a mansion or a sports car with the conversion of his Buisiness money to his personal money because its sht. This is what made himself low-profile to not become someone to be milked by not only his family, relatives but also his friends.

He is greedy but for a good reason because how can he even earn a single bread if the money is converted to running his buisiness? He isn't good but he isn't totally evil, just created a misunderstanding because of events that were created.

I kinda want to talk more about this but I don't want to write a long list of reasons to make this thread a 5 page to conter-argue any rant you want.

So, let me get the games and reasons.

The games that he made are basically from good luck from his end. Every games he made had come from pure accidents to the system's guidance which he was FORCED to follow. From the first game which someone discovered and made a review on it to even people making many assumtions and portraying him to a god which ended up thinking more misunderstandings from another.

First game? Accident
    Second? A talented accident
    Third? A team of talents with good imagination
    Fourth? I never played the game but i think its similar.
    Fifth? Only thinking of making a hard game and not knowing how much lore his employees put into it.
    Six? Due to his friend which would gain him immense profit if he didn't try to subverge it into creating a new one.

The main core of this is that its mainly because he is controlled by the system. He cannot earn and the system even deducts the ratio of profit to lost interals which is why he is trying to lose money.

This is just a comedy which the MC is thinking ways to lose money. He would watch the reviews, ask for advice and even listen in to info which will help or hinder the money loss. He would fight those who will make him profit, he even helped everyone around him for the sake of losing money and even find ways for evil people to not gain any benefits from him(a chapter about housing and health measures and those 'scalpers'). The reason why he is lazy is because he turns into that due to being low-profile(because he will get extorted of money he doesn't own). Basically the MC is a neutral guy who is greedy but has good will to those he cares about.

And this is just my small rant on this since I don't want to write a long list to argue.

7. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    I never intended to read it as a heroic story. I knew it was comedy. It was funny at first, until it wasn't. As I've said, the MC's moral compass is neither black, nor white, nor gray. He's just garbage. The MC doesn't have a character. At most, he's just a device to make a story.

Both The Roadrunner and Tom & Jerry are very black and white. There is a very clear distinction on who's who. We know who they are. What about the MC. Who is he. A tool to run the story but not a character or even a device to move the story forward. The story is static. Nothing changed. It's still the same story from chapter 1 to chapter 500. But hey, at least we see some people around him.

Tom & Jerry may not have some character dwvelopment, but at least they're alive.

You're right. I have ignored the concept because of my bias against the protagonist. But we should've seen some signs that he's a person and not just some tool being used to make a story. Yes, it is a comedy. But even comedy characters who have no character development have some personality. Even though their personality are just basically carsboard cut out.

Also the comedy on his reaction when he fails. It's really hard to laugh at his cries. It's not dark humour. The tone that was used is comical in nature. It does not poke fun at anything. We are meant to laugh at his antics. And I highly doubt this is slapstick.

It would be acceptable fir me if it us like I am the God of Games. The protagonist is just a tool. The real focus of the story are the mc's worshipers. But in Losing Money to be a Tycoon, the focus of the story is the mc.

I'm calling him lazy because he does not give any effort even in loosing money. He does not even try to understand the report that was given to him. He just look for the keywords he gave... Wow I'm having a cognitive dissonance trying to find a reason why I said this. I'm way too biased against the MC that I thought. Can't fault him in Ocean Stronghold because he was looking down on then. Can't fault him of Repent and Be Saved because of what happened on Game Designer. And he doesn't know jack shit about game design. But he really should know what gamers like since he's a gamer himself.

I guess I really just hate the fact that the mc is the focus of the story and that the comedic scenes aren't funny at all based on the tone. Because I did find the characters trying to understand the MC interesting and the Black Mirror part as the highlight.

Well, thank you. I'll try to read this story in a different mindset.

I really still do not think that the mc giving benefits shows his good character though. He really just want to find a way to burn money.

otaku31 likes this.
  8. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is a comedy novel.

also you're just being too serious.

he's not trying to destroy the life of his employees. infact, he's paying them so much better than any other company in the novel. even if he successfully causes his company to go bankrupt, all of his companies would be so much better off with what they've done in the company.

i read this for a long time and eventually dropped it because the MC seems to be constantly bringing out successful ideas after the first joke game.

for example, he bought out dead souls and a better LoL which was bound to be a success.

but yea, it eventually stops being funny which is why i dropped it. but not for the reasons you stated.

there aren't alot of good comedy novels and this is one of the better ones (sadly it stopped being funny after 300 chapters or so and focused on being completely anti-capitalist)

9. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    You sound like a person with no goals. I have a simple question for you, do you want to live, or are you content on just surviving. Sure they have money, but they never achieved anything. The only difference they had to a person surviving on paycheck to paycheck is that they have spare money. Both of them are just working on soul crushing dead end jobs. The fun part is that Tenga employees cannot leave the company if the mc actually succeded. They have nowhere to go. Who would accept a bunch of failures. Tenga will always be a black mark on their resumes. And don't forget the amount of damage they will have to their self worth. At that point, their salaries and benefits are just a slap to their face. They are not rewarded for doing nothing, they are rewarded for creating garbage. Please remember that these people have dreams. They aren't just content on surviving, they want to succed. But yeah, the system probably wont allow that right. At that point, the ones that have morals is the system, not the mc.

10. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, I’m so confused. You made a whole rant because a novel you thought was maybe 3.5 stars is rated 4.1? Literally a half a star’s difference? Holy shit I would’ve thought this was a 2-3 star difference.

Grand_Rider_Iskandar likes this.
  11. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. Buy hey, there is only a one percent difference between 59% or 60% but that single percentage can mean passing or failing.

But I'm really just looking for other people's opinions. The last thing you want is being trapped inside an echo chamber.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because different people have a different taste than you. Some like what you dislike and give a higher rating than you think it deserves.

Some people will give Twilight a 10/10, other people will give it a 1/10. That's just how ratings work, not everyone has the same taste and not everyone has the same opinions on things.

When talking about things with a subjective evaluation criteria (like books), it's hard to have any sort of meaningful rating system. Ratings are useful mainly for things that can be evaluated from objective lenses... Like evaluating how good a knife is at cutting vegetables or something.

In other words... Ratings are useless and you should stop caring about them.

Grand_Rider_Iskandar likes this.
  13. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont think you have ever worked a day in your life before.

you have no idea just how helpful it is having words like "facebook", "amazon" or "google" is on your resume, even if your department was closed down because it failed to be profitable.

just speaking of the gaming industry, why do you think game devs in AAA studios are usually shuffled around other big companies?

do you think the employees of bioware who made anthem would find it hard to get a job?

not to mention that almost every project they've worked on is very successful.

furthermore, the very first few people he hired were people who were already down on their luck. giving them a job with the pay increase would have helped them immensely even if the company closed down after it was just founded.

anyway you seem to be a kid and don't really know what you're talking about besides "THIS NOVEL IS BAD" so yea, added to ignore list

14. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This thread is going nowhere and it doesn't really like the op cares for a discussion. It is what it is. I know it'll be hard but move on. Locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.