Discussion Why is that character alive? They should be dead from that fall!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Kadmos1, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Suppose you are watching a movie or TV/web show or reading a comic with the following scene: On a tall building, multiple people are fighting each other. Then, an explosion or attack knocks 1 or more people off said building. Later on, at least 1 of those fallen are revealed to have survived. This is not necessarily a butt-pull or plot hole. Perhaps they were falling and something or someone broke the fall. This could include a scaffolding or shaft impaling their clothes enough to stop the fall. Now if that person was stabbed and had multiple broken bones prior to the fall, that is where they would be more likely to die and thus them coming back might be more of a butt-pull.

Let's use a specific example. Suppose Peter Parker was, as Spider-Man, battling Green Goblin on the top of the Empire State Building. One of Goblin's pumpkin bombs from his glider or his razor bats hits 1 of Peter's buddies off the edge of the building. That buddy (for the sake of argument, we will call this person "Jamie" as it is a unisexual name) might have either observing (be it as a kidnapped person or not) or was helping Spidey fight! We see the body fall! However, 10 issues later we that Jamie has survived.

To account for how Jamie survived and it not being some supernatural salvation, how would the comic book writers explain that? Some "real world" examples could be the following: as Jamie is falling, a swing stage stops their fall because Jamie collapses into the it. Another example could be that the friend sees some wiring or antenna on 1 of the lower levels. Jamie either grabs that wiring/antenna or that wire/antenna pierces Jamie's clothing. However, Jamie didn't survive entirely unscathed. Maybe Jamie has busted leg or arm and is still in recovery, such as in a wheelchair.

Thoughts? For the record, I never really got into Marvel or D.C. Comic books but a limited understanding of how their stories go. More specifically, the type of knowledge from looking at info site such as a wiki page.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. phucanhcr02

phucanhcr02 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DIRECTORS' WILL.

Wujigege and UchihaSena like this.
  3. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    Author's authority.

Diametric likes this.
  4. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Like this?

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  5. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, can you explain me why when trainer on pokemons still have the pokeball in the hand after they throw it away to call the pokemon?
    Don't try to guess physics of finctions....

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, the director of a movie version can say a character survived that fall this way. I was referring to how that fall could be explained more naturally vs. some supernatural salvation!

Explaining the physics of fiction carries more weight (joke there in the sense of physics and weight) depending on the specifics of the situation. Me explaining that fall is easier than @Liyus' Pokémon example.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  7. RNGesus

RNGesus <<+10 Luck upon seeing this Nuffian>>

Reading List:
    Link
    I happen to roll a die in these situations :blobpats:

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    Suppose when a writer was doing the script for that scene, they literally cast a dice cube. If the result was odd, it was a naturally-explainable survival. If It was even, it was a supernaturally-explainable survival. Personally, I would want it to be odd because a natural explanation might sound more discussion-worthy!

Wujigege likes this.
  9. RNGesus

RNGesus <<+10 Luck upon seeing this Nuffian>>

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what you're looking for is an explainable survival that follows the rules of the world they belong in, or if the plot actually requires the survivee to have a reason to stick around other then lazy scriptwriting.

Rather then "how" Jamie survives the fall, the bigger question would be "why". For example, Spidey actually layered webs around the building to catch people b4 the final battle. Or Ironman happened to be there to catch any poor sap that got kicked off a building. Or it turns out Jamie had soul-transferring capabilities and shunts to another clone. Honestly the "why" is the answer we should be asking rather than if the answer is normal or supernatural.

mir likes this.
  10. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Rooftop pool on the building nextdoor. Trees can function as a speed break as well if the building isn't overly tall.

11. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice pun

12. GonZ555

GonZ555 What i want for christmas is you

Reading List:
    Link
    Cables, outdoor fan, emergency ladders flagpoles and cloth terrace broke their fall~
    And probably dislocated all their bones~

13. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what your talking about. but i love a disfigured friend/family thought to be dead but back as a villain storyline.

14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Jamie is IMMORTAL!!! :blobhero:

Or a slime....:blobneutral:

15. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually there are a lot of cases when human survive from falling extraordinary height (failed parachute etc), while at the same time not few people died from falling from their bed/stairs

It really depends on how you land, basically luck. So yea, sometimes reality is stranger than fiction because fiction needs to be believable and consistent to avoid breaking immersion even though it is entirely within the realm of possibility

16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    People have fallen from over 20 story buildings and walked away with only a broken arm or minor injuries. It's all a matter of how you fall. This is why you can have people who tripped and fell from no height at all get seriously injured or even die and people who fall from a crazy height and live.

Sure there can be 3rd party factors such as falling on something that brakes your fall, but the state of your body is also important. For one, opening up your surface area would reduce the rate you fall at due to increase aero drag. Being less tense and relaxing also reduces your chance of injury. Even things like your breathing can influence your chance of living or dying.

So to answer your question, its possible. Though I will note Marvel and DC aren't known for following any scientific laws. Hence why some genius is able to compete with aliens with tech 1000 years ahead of us.

mir likes this.
  17. AryaX

AryaX Less-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm... Palpatine apparently survived his fall into the reactor... so... falling off some puny little building can't be that bad...

mir likes this.
  18. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't question why Jamie lives, for it is the will of 'the One above all'
    [​IMG]
    Probably, perhaps, Jamie got some later role and it is too early to kill him/her/it :blobunsure:

19. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    If it was a nagging Flat-Earth mother-in-law who saved Jamie, Jamie might have preferred to have died!