Why is there only english translated manga?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by icewizard, May 11, 2018.

Tags:
  1. icewizard

icewizard Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where are the raws? Is novel updates only showing english translated novels for legal purposes? When I found it I expected it to be like mangaupdates or visualnovels, showing all light novels that are made by the japanese regardless if it is translated or not. I might've tried to translate some novels if I knew they existed.

2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel updates is different from mangaupdates which is a database for manga regardless of whether their translated or not since Nu is a directory linking to various translations. It exists to show the latest "updates"

AliceShiki and MangoGuy like this.
  3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking about manga or novel?

4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel updates is a list of transaction, not novels. Even if a page is made for a novel, only when it gets a release does it really go public.

5. icewizard

icewizard Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm talking about light novels. There is a site called mangaupdates and visualnoveldatabase that has all the visual novels or manga's and some light novels that are released in japan, but on this site it only shows the translations and I'd like for the owner to consider adding lists of all light novels even if they are not translated so we can know about them. There are probably tons of them not being translated we will never know about and its hard to find them if you can't speak fluent japanese or don't live in japan.

6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a Novel Pickup Request subforum here for people to ask for a novel to be translated.

The point of mangaupdates is to list all LNs and mangas, regardless of their translation status. There's not much benefit to adding that to NovelUpdates since that functionality already exists on mangaupdates. What differentiates NU is that it's made to be a link aggregator for Eastern novels translated to English. If you find an LN on mangaupdates that you want translated, come to the Pickup Request subforum to request it.

7. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easy to find Japanese raws. Most of the web novels are on:
    https://syosetu.com/

If they aren't on there then you probably have to buy physical light novels to read them. Some novels do have scanned raws available but most of those scanned raws are for popular light novels that have been already translated or are currently being translated.

8. icewizard

icewizard Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's easy to find manga on mangaupdates but its not easy to find lightnovels because there is not filter to differentiate between manga and light novels.

This is not easy to navigate if you don't know how to speak japanese.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2018
  9. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    lndb.info

10. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I thought you knew how to read Japanese. If you can't navigate the site then I'm not sure why you're trying to translate novels. Translating novels is way harder than navigating the syosetu website. Maybe try translating manga first, it's a lot easier to translate manga than novels.

11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you mean translation.
    At OP your thread title makes no sense

AliceShiki likes this.
  12. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    There is simply no purpose in listing novels without translations available, NU is not here for that.

14. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, where does it stop? Right now what is listed is very specific. Once we start listing something else we’ll need to list everything.

At this time NU doesn’t list official publications either, which might actually be nice. It’d be good to have links to real books for shopping purposes, like amazon or bookstore links. It would bury the translations though. And would only be useful in certain countries (lol).

15. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I guess I really need to go fuck autocorrect now.

16. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why are you searching for raws on NU? Novel Updates does not list raws but Translations. There's even this on the Homepage:
    Nu.png
    In fact, when a member tries to add a series, there is this line requiring at least one translation:
    Nu add novel.png

You shouldn't be comparing NU with MU. They center more around manga while NU centers more around translations. While they both can act as a directory, Manga Updates has a different purposes than NU:
    Mu.png

Are you very new to the manga/novel community? Different websites have different purposes. Just because they look and act the same does not mean their objective is the same. You're browsing at the wrong place. Please do a thorough research next time.