Discussion Why obtaining immortality?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by yushiro, Jul 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yushiro

yushiro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really understand some chinese novels, where the mc want's to obtain immortality. But the problem is: He can't have a romantic relationsship for not distracting his mind or cultivation.

I don't really understand. What is the meaning of obtaining immortality, but being a robot with no feelings. I would rather die ...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  2. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So you can pee on your enemies graves.

Also can bang lots of girls after you are immortal, endless millions of years for it then.

KhayDesu, Kansuou, kirsshiyo and 12 others like this.
  3. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    And you forgot to add that in most cultivation novel what you get is not immortality just an increased life expentancy, hundreds of years at low level, then thousands, then hilariously ridiculous numbers at later stage... (you know the usual way too ridiculously inflated to not laugh when you hear them numbers CN authors throw to make their novels look more impressive than the previous one in the pile)

But they still could die in every other way than old age so it's longevity not immortality...

4. yushiro

yushiro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but I don't get it how they can live for so long but not having thoughts of suicide

5. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    I would choose immortality over girls any time.

:blob_patpat: Why would anyone think of suicide.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
  6. yushiro

yushiro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not really about the girls. But why they want Immortality? What is the purpose? Becoming strong? And then what?

7. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivators are usually shown as quarrelsome psychopaths obsessed with pride, it's not a kind of mindset that is usually associated with suicide.
    More with a weird fixation on having the strength to back off the puffed up by pride balloon they have as a face and their need for carnage.

But many fall of a cliff to get their cheat (cliff-roshi is the truck-sensei of cultivation novels) but they are usually pushed soo... Missed assisted suicide ?

8. adrielpirate

adrielpirate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    because author only knows how to make two dimensional characters with no depth and personality.
    only raw power (that can be quantified) matters.

any other type is too complicated to be inserted in a daily novel without a big research and editing.

9. yushiro

yushiro Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you already saw everything, experienced everything. What is the meaning of being alive?

Anra7777 and The loner like this.
  10. adrielpirate

Reading List:
    Link
    there was a day that i dreamed that someone would achieve the ultimate bogus to explain this bullshit in WebNovels. And it will become a trend and everyone will clap their hands together and finally call Xianxia/Wuxia not garbage.

but i think that i dreamed too hard.

11. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    [
    i don't get why people think like this. you would think there is immortals on earth just wishing for death. who gave mortals the right to say how they think and feel.

12. adrielpirate

Reading List:
    Link
    i know what immortals think and feel, i know Emanon story.
    [​IMG]

13. P0_1X

P0_1X Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has anyone read the manga “to you, the immortal”

animefan217 likes this.
  14. Blank-1

Blank-1 Fantasy-holic

Reading List:
    Link
    If near any ‘mortal’ was suddenly given biological immortality, it’s a tragedy because they wouldn’t have the mindset to cope, and likely even survive from inevitably scheming enemies and calamities that follow a long life.

But in most xianxia you need to temper yourself to actually reach higher levels with corresponding ridiculous lifespans. Whereupon you can handle it and the constant effort required to keep progressing.

As for motivation, I’d say the reasons would be stuff like seeking the gratification of self improvement, actually enjoying the difficulties of cultivation, or trying to fulfil an an ideal.

Edit: Many stories kinda suck at this, resorting to explicitly stating or even just leaving out stuff like this and character development. So you get ascended immortals pretty much acting the same as low level scrubs

15. unkxz

unkxz Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    but if you're not immortal then you can't see everything or experience everything, so why won't they want to be immortal? and how do you know that there's no meaning to be alive after you've experienced everything?

I mean, I have experience orgasm for more than 20 years and I'm still enjoying it, and I don't think orgasm will be meaningless for me 60 or 100 years later, if it's still possible. so in short, if I'm an immortal, I can just keep orgasming for eternality without thinking of suicide.:blobpats:

16. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, it's a cultural thing, and it's kind of a holdover from Buddhism (though since the CCP now encourages state atheism, a lot of the cultural context has been lost in many of these WNs, though the sentiment remains). It's the whole idea of mortal life being suffering/hardship, and so striving for enlightenment (true immortality vs endless reincarnation) will allow you to break free from this suffering. Now, though, it's kind of just an excuse for endless powerups and fight scenes and all that jazz.

FranckOA, Voromir and FIEND like this.
  17. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    shortsited people would think that way
    once he gets over that small barrier and reaches immortality, he cud just fuck the world

or u can think of suicide endlessly

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
    kennykdogg likes this.
  18. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't know about them. But in my case, I want to live forever to experience everything, this world has to offer.

19. CrimsonPhoenix

CrimsonPhoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well in my mind there's really only one reason to seek immortality: fear of death. Most people are afraid of death and would do just about anything to escape it. However, there is a difference between living and existing and most authors cannot portray it leading to the works you see.

20. orig27

orig27 Everlasting Monarch

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a lost cause; The most realistic that I can think of is Fang Yuan(Reverend Insanity). It's basically immortality exist so why not give it a try? :cool:

Yolo Swag and Imperiestro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.