Discussion Why Smoke?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Sep 9, 2018.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yasss

15.0%
  2. Nope

64.6%
  3. Tried it once. Didn't like it.

16.8%
  4. Tried it once. Found a better vice.

3.5%
  5. I'm a minor...

7.1%
  6. Go back to studying!

15.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zenla

zenla { Totally human being} {Kingdom building fanatic}

Reading List:
    Link

2. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if you can ween yourself of tobacco by smoking pot....I mean, pot isn't addicting imho.

Cutter Masterson and Bad Storm like this.
  3. Dolidza

Dolidza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pot is illegal where I'm from and I don't have any contacts to buy it from. Additionally I have tried pot twice and both times were terrible experiences and didn't feel nice at all.

Bad Storm likes this.
  4. Selviata

Selviata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to know what smoking cigarettes is and why it’s so addicting it’s largely due to the nicotine found in them. Nicotine is a stimulant and increases epinephrine (alertness) production in your body, it also acts as a sedative (hence the relaxation effect).
    As for why “smoke” like inhalation, that’s one of the quickest ways these substances enter your bloodstream. People smoke for a variety of reasons, similar to how people drink for a variety of reasons. Smoking is just more accepted than drug use and it’s similar to alchohol in terms of how society views it. If you were to look on novel updates there are a bunch of novels where some one drowns themselves in alcohol, though personally I have never felt that I’m really “drinking my sorrows away” whenever I drink. Maybe I just don’t drink enough to ever get drunk.

A plus is that people are hella more aware of how damaging smoking is to your respiratory system now. Unfortunately, alcohol abuse is still such a problem and I don’t see any ads being posted to stop it. Must be too ingrained in culture.

5. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    FOOD IS LYF!!!
    Oh wow, that sounds hard. And, they sound like jerks. Don't mind them.

Yeah, I agree that exercising seems a lot better than smoking.
    I heard it's like a temporary boost. Yup, similar to coffee so I'll go with coffee as well. Though coffee actually makes me sleepy...
    As far as I could remember, I never got addicted to anything... just depressed so I really can't relate much to how withdrawals actually feel. I heard flushing the remaining nicotine out your body first is a good way to start your journey to quit smoking.
    Ahh, sounds reasonable.
    Isn't that like jumping out of the pot and into the fire? I heard drugs are harder to flush out your system than smoking...

fuzor100 likes this.
  6. Selviata

Reading List:
    Link
    Smoking does not enhance brain performance. The nicotine that enters your bloodstream via smoking increases your epinephrine production. This increases your alertness, by no means does smoking actually better your brain. If anything, over time drug tolerance will require you to intake more of the drug once a constant dosage forces your body to adjust to how they regulate neurotransmitters/hormones/etc. It’s a foolish price to pay if people do this for “increased brain performance”.

7. Selviata

Reading List:
    Link
    No, all drugs metabolize eventually and are filtered through your kidneys and liver. What people suffer afterwards are the metabolites left in their systems after the actual drug breaks down. These metabolites may or may not have the ability to prolong whatever effect the original drug had.

8. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really smoke anymore. I may have a cigarette or two once a month, but i feel no urge to buy a pack of cigarettes anymore and thank god for that.

Femme Fatale and Bad Storm like this.
  9. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a very scientific way to view it.:blobsleepless:
    Thanks for the info. Really helpful.

Well, even I think smoking is better than drugs. But I put drinking and smoking in the same level.

I guess I never really understood how smoking, drinking and drugs helps with escaping problems as I tend to find other less destructive ways to deal with them.

And drinking is probably too ingrained to human culture. I mean, it's practically something that is always there whatever the occasion may be. Sometimes, people don't even need occasions to drink...

Just for say, I heard a funny quote:

10. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Good for you, buddy. :blobsalute:

11. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no, aside from playing games, smoking was something we both loved and it makes me feel close to him again.

Bad Storm likes this.
  12. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. Anyhow, sorry for your loss.

13. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks <3

14. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    People who smoke: (Insert a stupid reason to justify smoking)
    Why cant people just say they like to smoke or its just a habit now? Fat people can admit they like to eat. I will admit i rarely drink water cuz it has no flavor...

Im here cuz i want to cause feelings of hatred and hurt peoples feelings. Ooooh and also make people feel as dumb as they sound.

15. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    You should ask not why but how did they start smoking. Most of the smokers were of peer pressure or media influence which failed to see what benefit or non benefit they get by continuing.
    I don't actually smoke nor i enjoy smoking but when the guys hanging around smoking and drinking i would need to do some solicitation to survive the group. In Asia you painted yourself target for bullying if you're too far different from the groupthink.
    Smoking is stupid. I hate stupid smokers even more. Most of the guys I'm with at least not the stupid one that defended their self harming habit's or conciousless enough to smoke among non smokers and children.

Bad Storm likes this.
  16. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tried smoking cigar, joints, bong etc, drinking, but I've never been addicted to it despite doing it for months. In fact I've not done any of those at all this year. I just can stop it at any time I wish. But it's not the same for memes, anime, manga and novel???

Bad Storm likes this.
  17. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Anything can be addicting. Games, drugs, sex...

It is unfortunate, but you do not get addicted to specific components, per se, but rather the hormones that are produced in the brain that give good feelings and whatnot. So, whatever makes you feel good, if you do it too much, your brain will need more stimulation to receive that same feeling. Thus, you seek it out more and more. This is called addiction. Moderation is key.

Bad Storm and FalseGod like this.
  18. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess this can explain your situation, as well. Seeing as how you don't get addicted, perhaps you don't feel enjoyment from those things, but do from the others.

Bad Storm likes this.
  19. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Tried once and it felt meh

Bad Storm likes this.
  20. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess so, my friends were supplying me with those but I don't really like it. I did it because else I won't have any friends.

Bad Storm and Evil_Ginger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.