Discussion Why Smoke?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Sep 9, 2018.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yasss

15.0%
  2. Nope

64.6%
  3. Tried it once. Didn't like it.

16.8%
  4. Tried it once. Found a better vice.

3.5%
  5. I'm a minor...

7.1%
  6. Go back to studying!

15.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hate to break it to you, but a friend wouldn't force you to do something in exchange for hanging out with you. I know that I want to have my friends watch anime with me, but even if they don't, I don't mind playing basketball with them if they ask. A friend should be down to do whatever and shouldn't be based on such petty things like that. If you say no and they are cool, then it is fine. You shouldn't feel compelled to do things you don't want to just to have friends.

I wish you luck.

Bad Storm and FalseGod like this.
  2. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    Common phrases that appear neutral when saying 'no' without coming out and saying no. There is still some leeway for the other party to not get the gist, but this is an alternative option that shows you do not want to harm the relationship between you and them.

• I'm not feeling it right now.
    • Sorry, not today.
    • I'm good. Thanks, though.

Sometimes, saying no is the most difficult part. As an anti-social person myself, I would rather not get into arguments or hurt other people's feelings. However, if the other person just doesn't seem to get it...you will have to use the hard N-O word.

No can be pretty powerful.

Bad Storm likes this.
  3. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It was just a passing thought so I didn't really planned out the question that much. Not that it matters a lot since people willingly share why they started smoking in their answers. I'm a bit positive that asking why they started would lead me to results quite similar to this.

Also, I've noticed how many stated they did it due to peer pressure so there's that.

True, I hate it too when smokers smokes anywhere, disregarding the general public. Probably because my country doesn't have a clear policy on public smoking.
    Lol, I practice this. Not on saying no to smoking but on favors I can't do or on occasions I'm not interested with at all. Learning to say no whether subtly or not is a great skill to have (if it could be considered a skill)

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  4. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Your right the judgements around here is a little much. By the way good job convincing your dad. Especially since his history of smoking. And don’t be to dispirited. You are a great example of moderation and touch board that everyone should try to be. To tell you the truth. After what I said about the reason I wouldn’t smoke. You actually “like” it. Which just through me, but made me read your post more closely. I can say personally that you are a good person and I’m interested in what you have to say. Just so you know I’m still not smoking, but it is interesting seeing the other side. Keep being strong. You have a following who know the true you.

Bad Storm and Femme Fatale like this.
  5. Femme Fatale

Femme Fatale | Sublime Goddess Of Chance |

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your words. I try to keep it real and kind. :)

My dad was ill for a long time, he stopped smoking and his health appeared to improve greatly...but as the doctor said the damage was done already and he died from a type of cancer in his blood that did not respond to chemo, etc. Tobacco is so cheap in the United States, especially back then....he once told me he smoked to stave off hunger. O.O A cigarette and a coffee. However, I think that quitting gave him a new lease of life for those years before his cancer manifested itself. Anyway, he died too young.

6. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Smoking lengthens the edible period of the meat. It doesn't really calm the smokers brains, but it can indeed be quite calming to smoke stuff. When you sit in front of the smoker, doing nothing but playing with your phone or talking with people, you are not actually doing nothing. You are doing something useful. And this calms you down because you do not feel guilt over sitting in front of the smoker doing nothing. You are both doing something and not doing something at the same time. The slacker in you are happy that you get to slack off, but since you're not actually slacking off, the productive part of you is also happy.

Ai-chan also doesn't really like smoking. People said pine wood smokes best, but Ai-chan doesn't care. Ai-chan likes my meat tender, not dry. To be fair, smoking doesn't shorten anyone's lives, except for the bacterias that can't survive without water. Also, the correct term is 'one log at a time' not 'one stick at a time'. You will find that your wife laughs at you if you put in one stick at a time because that's a complete waste of time.

Usually people smoke to make their meet last longer. Nowadays you don't have to do this anymore as we have the fridge. However, some people do smoke their beef, venison or fish and sometimes smoking does add flavour.

Bad Storm likes this.
  7. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Now, I'm wondering if we are still referring to the same kind of smoking hahaha.

Ai chan likes this.
  8. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Good for you honneh do not try to smoke. Don't be like this uncle, getting scolded by his wives Everytime he smoke.

Bad Storm likes this.
  9. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    I started smoking socially when I was young(gradeschooler) and continued till I was in my early 20s when my ex had our first kid. I quit cold turkey and only been tempted a few times when I hang around heavy smokers. I have to say I'd rather not start up again. Namely because of the cost. Just a half a pack a day(that's conservative estimate) will cost you around 1000 USD a year. And health issues aside, I have better things to spend that money on.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  10. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    ¬.¬ using pine(evergreen) wood to smoke your meat is bad for you, in some cases down right poisonous or so I've been told. The one time I tried something pine smoked, it was extremely bitter and disgusting. I wasn't even able to finish the small sample. I hear using hard woods or wood from trees that near fruit and nuts give the best result.

Ai chan likes this.
  11. bbctheory84

bbctheory84 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Smoking is great for my motor skills. Though I dont do it anymore as it tastes bad. I like vaping/hookah far far better. I get the same calmness without the nasty smell/taste.

12. NinjapowerMS

NinjapowerMS Local man ruins everything

Reading List:
    Link
    I smoke from time to time for years and I still dont get why people are addicted to it. A blunt on the other hand....

13. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah there are many things better than smoking to fight stress imo

14. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    You can refuses if they're just your peer or below. When they're your superior then you better reconsider things first especially if you're not close with them.
    But i agree. Decline politely whenever you could decline.

Evil_Ginger likes this.
  15. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    For some it's like coffee. It's one of common addiction.
    For reasons why some starts it mostly either peer pressure, curiosity, or escapism.

16. LordOfPears12

LordOfPears12 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Beacause life sucks and cirgarattes will directly shorten your life span.

Bad Storm likes this.
  17. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Enhances the brain perfomance? lol
    Relaxes? Only after you get addicted and the act of focused breathing relaxes yeah. You could just breath clean air and do nothing though, it's called meditation.

18. glendalton

glendalton New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes vaping

19. The Ram

The Ram [Anxiety Sheep]

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, it's great to just go on the balcony and do something so monotonous and enjoyable that it's a good way to wind down.... Also smoke rooms and smoking corners are the best places to meet people.. Shit my main circle of friends all met by going to a cafe (cuz we love coffee) and with coffee you are basically required by law to get a smoke.... Basically these 2 insignificant things that aren't the basis of any friendship let me meet an awesome group of people from poets, singers to body culturists.. It's honestly a surprisingly good ice breaker, hey can ya lend me a smoke? Hi im yada yada.

Tl;dr helps calm down, good 4 meeting peeps, ice breaker. Also slightly helps metabolism and super nice after eating a huge meal and then just goin to take a nap.

Not gonna force anyone to do shit tho. You don't like it? Good for you, I'll just walk slightly around you if I'm holding a smoke

20. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh look, a zombie thread.

Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.