Discussion Why there are so many system novel?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by UnknownEntity, Oct 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. UnknownEntity

UnknownEntity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that chinese novel isn't exactly the standard of greatness before but just lazily adding system into the novel seem like a new low.
    At least before they put some thought into the cultivation realm and method, now it just system this, system that.
    Do they even bother to explain where that system came from and why only one guy get it?
    If they really want to write about system then just write a damn litrpg novel?

Could somebody tell me the reason why there are so many of them?
    Does people actually like this kind of novel or what?

2. Night Sky1

Night Sky1 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't really thought about it like this but true, there really are a lot of system CN. But it's k, i read for fun and to get my mind off of stuff so as long as it good enough and isn't too ridiculous, I'll take it.

3. perspherspley

perspherspley IZ*ONE

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason for many system novels.
    People like it.
    That's why there are so many.
    It's the trend.

4. Jackmeher

Jackmeher Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People like game systems for one reason: They like seeing their progress, in reality you have no idea how or when you get better at a skill. Plus a system is basically an easy deus ex machina from the author where it will conveniently have what the MC needs at the moment ;further adding to the wish fulfillment. Also that part about cultivation having some thought put into it is....questionable. But then again I've only read generic trash so idk.

aShinyVaporeon and animefan217 like this.
  5. Sunspawn

Sunspawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's an easy way to make a quick buck by churning out a bunch of shit, rinse, lather and repeat.

6. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    It's simple...

the same reason why there's so many isekai in JP and dungeons in Kr.

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Authors are part of the system.

8. UnknownEntity

Reading List:
    Link
    I know but I thought that basis cultivation novel like nga was low enough but now adding system into it just seem too much.

9. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    It's so convenient for the author to give the protagonist something without racking the brain for a reason. Just say it came from the system

Asf and Saorihirai like this.
  10. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    The best system novels (ie. The Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich and I Might be a Fake Cultivator) do explain all of those questions you ask. Other great novels (ie. My Girlfriend From Turquoise Pond...; Keyboard Immortal and I Am Loaded With Passive Skills) simply introduce a system to eliminate the need for the MC to endlessly adventure for resources so they can focus on other plotlines. Others (ie. History's Number 1 Founder and Black Tech Internet Cafe System) use the system as a McGuffin to move the story so the MC has a reason for their otherwise illogical decisions. Others (ie. My Disciples Are All Villains; Fantasy Simulator and Absolute Choice) use the system to let the MC survive in settings they otherwise would not.

There are various reasons why systems can be good things. But put simply, I feel in the good novels the system is a tool for the author. It does not define the novel no matter how central it is to the story.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    UnknownEntity likes this.
  11. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it. I also read a lot of them and I'm perfectly ok, reading cliche or overused tropes.I'll read it all

12. UnknownEntity

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks

13. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they're fun to read and popular. Everyone likes to have access to a bug and while its difficult to get one IRL, its a bit satisfying to make up for it by having one in a novel.

14. WanderingReader

WanderingReader Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's because people like to read it, it's also easy to make various plotlines by using the system as a reason for those.
    Some novels got ridiculous plots but they justify it using a system as the reason, even when the system is barely mentioned after hahaha
    I actually do like novel that got a system in it, it feels a bit fresh for me because usually I rarely read those if it's not web novels, etc.

15. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the translators like it, hence it is translated :v

16. potato413

potato413 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's part of the overarching trope of 金手指 (golden finger). Which is now a common trope like isekai.

I believe 金手指 (golden finger) is the name of a cheating device for a Japanese console, correct me if I'm wrong.

Kinda like what we know as Gameshark, Action replay, codebreaker, etc. I believe.

It should be exactly what it sounds like.

You have a protagonist, and he has his jinshouzi, his cheating device to zoom through the story.

It could be a ring, a bracelet, a bottle, a periodic lottery, a portable warehouse. a portable library, memories of the future, memories of earth, an old grandpa who follows you around, or.....

a system.

You know, if you have ever played on a multiplayer video game, and all the Chinese players flood your server with cheats because everyone has cheats turned on in their game server? Yeahhh, you will probably get what I mean. So its kinda prevalent.

Some chinese multiplayer game companies thought hey wait a minute, why are we letting other people make money selling cheat packages for our game? Why don't we sell our own cheats?

We call that "Pay to win" over here in the west lol.

Everyone wants to be cheating and have an easy win. Why wouldn't you?

TLDR - People want to read a novel where the MC uses his cheat device to roflstomp all his enemies.

UnknownEntity and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  17. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, what everyone been saying kind of make sense in a way and those might be the answers but no one would know the real/correct answers simply from our observation alone, so u might not know the real answer but here is my opinion,

I think it's because from a reader point of view, we tend to get addicted to something cool and nice and just OP. Because you gotta believe me when I say there are tons of transmigration tagged novels out there, whether in Chinese or other languages. Then, there is this revenge theme where MC just went to the past to get his revenge and stuff. All of these type of novels are numerous simply because readers wanted to read them, so they make the request.

Other reasons could be because the authors who also read that kind of theme from other authors weren't satisfied enough with the existing novels, so they go ahead and make their own version of it!

Honestly, there are many types of famous(tons type) novels out there, I think you simply came across only the system ones lol. Since if it were me a few days ago, I would also have the same question as you. But, after someone recommended 10+ similar transmigration novels to me today, I feel like I've only seen a bit of an iceberg lol.

18. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a crunch. It is one less thing the author needs to develop

It is certainly better than ambiguous power levels to be fair

19. RustyFerro

RustyFerro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the author really worked hard on thinking how the system works or the system have a very significant role all through out the story, maybe the story will be very great. I also noticed how the system in some novels is just a way to cover plot holes, serves as a golden finger so that MC can become OP. Same old, same old, yet many people love it. Honestly, when I first dive into Chinese novels, novels with systems are some of the first novels I have read and I loved them, but now, I'm still okay with them, but sometimes I get tired of them.

Asf likes this.
  20. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And cultivation novels for CN

Aachiin0914 likes this.