Discussion Why there are so many system novel?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by UnknownEntity, Oct 1, 2021.

Tags:
  1. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like people have already said, it's just another way to make the MC faster and unique and OP, while also allowing the author to pull any plot device they want from it, especially if it's got a gacha (this can be subverted with systems that have very strict rules and only certain types of rewards, of course).

Basically, it's fairly easy to write and also not too bad to read, so the CN web novel scene being the place it is, latched onto it and now there are a million of them. Not to say that there aren't good system novels, but like any popular trope, most people have seen too many bad ones. They also have a tendency to be completely unexplained, or the explanation ends up being really contrived.

2. Saorihirai

Saorihirai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cuz it's easy. And simple. And fun for readers. But I don't really mind systems too much except when it's used in romance. For ex, "Level up if you make him food!" or "Gain 10 points if you kiss him!"

That just seems so weird and gross. It defeats the whole purpose of romance. I don't mind in non-romance novels tho, it's okay.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer them to cultivation novels

4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's disturbing

I usually avoid romance web novels since I find them underwhelming or jailbait which isn't my cup of tea.
    I am lucky I didn't read such crap.

I should probably locate something similar to translate.

Crap are usually popular

5. CadmarLegend

CadmarLegend one and a two and a bing bang boo!

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe the reason for that is because of a reason for many authors: the popularity of the genre. I think that authors try to follow the trend and write in a genre where a lot of readers are, so they write in particular areas. This in turn helps to inflate the number of novels in the genre, and help it to grow. I personally do not like to read lots of novels with the same plot style, so the 'system' novels aren't really my type... I do however like some system novels.

6. heyaoi

heyaoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lack of creativity (or outright laziness) and cheap "comedic" effect

7. applebeans

applebeans Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ll add this too: constant companionship and “my FBI agent”

a best friend who knows everything you’re going through, and is directly connected to your thoughts

8. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Its easy to write and its popular. All there is to it.

9. Lumppumpkin

Lumppumpkin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Systems are just easy to use plot devices as well as an easy tool to show growth or development of a character. Systems that include levels or rewards for tasks (missions/quests) are familiar with almost all readers as due to how almost everyone has played a game with these concepts in mind at least once in their lifetime and so it’s quick to understand from the get go than having to establish a new hierarchy or create plot lines and backstory to acquire key items etc. Systems are also not even new or recent with many prior cultivation novels including already pre-established ‘systems’ of hierarchy where instead of levels one would be foundation stage or nascent stage etc, far easier to explain that a golden core stage cultivator could swat many a foundational stage cultivator to death like a fly and that’s just how it is (like a level 100 vs a level 10) than to actually explain their true strength through other means. In a world where everyone can be a writer, a lot will just write what’s easy especially if there’s money in the line

10. Georgesmith12

Georgesmith12 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because of being the trending one. These days, every one is falling for system novels, which I did as well. But to your surprise, I won't e buying them again, or reading them. They are not of my interest at all.

11. Dr_H_16

Dr_H_16 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish NU had a way to filter any works with a certain word like 'System'. All of them are eyesores.

12. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer leveling systems more. This kinda makes it easier to understand the powers in the cultivation or any other world. Level 1 or 2 seems easier to grasp rather than the Core Formation Cultivation stages or Archmage stage. Status, Levels, Skills, etc can also be summarized by the system which makes it easier to understand.