Why writing Reviews is pointless!

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tasear, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tasear

Tasear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know a dislike button or flag button. I clearly mentioned in first review of doom lord, why it was a poor series and translation.
    But sighs you missing the point, there's not even guildlines for reviews. It's all up in the air.

2. Lagu

Lagu Love Me

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah i know, did I assume otherwise? Chill.

3. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true. I should make a guidelines for reviews one of these days. How did you come up with 7 of your reviews getting deleted? I only found two.

drewjn, Astaroth and Green Apple like this.
  4. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't base your scores on the translation quality or a tag. Mention it in a single sentence if you must. If you can't read the story because of the translation quality or can't understand the story because of the translation quality you have no ground on which to review THE STORY. You can criticize or question the translator if you wish, though it's probably not a good idea to do so, but the place to do that is not in the review. The review should focus on the story itself as should the rating.

asriu, makenai89 and CDLevit like this.
  5. Tasear

Tasear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want to feel secure that I can a decent negative review without it being magically deleted. To be clear, I am just furious as Doom lord deserved every bit of hostility. I don't care about WC, but I could of vowed there was a lot more to that review.

The fact is I realized after I written hour long negative review about I shall seal the heavens then I realized that Imight be wasting my time and only positive reviews will stay.

thymee likes this.
  6. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    well, a one liner and trashing the translator is pretty much not a review. i mean why trash the translator on the novel review? go to their web/blog if you're unsatisfied and complain there.
    and there's still the missing deleted reviews.

makenai89 likes this.
  7. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if you're talking about the story, be as negative as you want. don't bring up translators.

8. Tasear

Tasear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I told myself that I would be leaving after finishing up x about of reviews, so I was keeping count, but I might be wrong I suppose.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, at least to some extent, but then you should also be looking at people who review based on how good they think it will be if it was written better...

Like sure, I see how and why, but is that really okay?

Honestly I think that in the case of poor translation there should be something like "Pending" that disables rating or something until the translation better represent the original work.

CDLevit and Green Apple like this.
  10. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit: nvm

little king likes this.
  11. Tasear

Tasear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know I should be leaving as issue has been somewhat come to a close, but the fact is there's other reviews mentioning translation still on site. Also being an translation the translator does have a apart of prose, so I disagree that was fair, though maybe unbalance.

On the original review with doom lord, I mention how the story was an rare concept, but translation was beyond hopeful. Also every other review for series did the same, but less hostile.

12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought the review was fine, if it had been rephrased to not attack the translator.

But as it has already been explained Tony has more work to do and can't go into too much detail.

You simply have to take a step back here and deal with it, if this discourages you too much from writing reviews, then wait until there's a more sophisticated system in place.

NU and NUF are both still fairly young and it's being improved every day

makenai89 and CDLevit like this.
  13. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think, that if the translation is ureadable, it either has to have tag "Bad quality translation" or some WARNING sign in the description. I remember I was reading some novel, previous translator dropped it, new one picked it up and when I got to that point I saw that the quality flown out of the window. It was literally unreadable from that point. My eyes were bleeding and I was frustrated from the fact that I have to drop this novel. I remember that MTL of Swallowed Star I read in the past was more understandable than "translation" of a new guy.

Edit: The novel I was talking about is not Swallowed Star. SS is just an example that 100% mtl was better than "translation" of the novel I was talking about.

drewjn, CDLevit and Astaroth like this.
  14. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Come on, you pretty much insulted the translator lol

It is a review of the 'Novel', not the translator. Sometimes, I do let a few comments about the translators go through if it's not that bad (language). But if there's already a lot of reviews trashing the translator, then I would probably just delete it as users are just repeating themselves.

btw, you can always report a review

Arcturus, makenai89, CDLevit and 4 others like this.
  15. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed. Why can't we talk about the translators? Since its a translation, it should be fair game. If the translation is crappy, we can't say its crappy?

kainee and Astaroth like this.
  16. Tasear

Tasear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we really want to go into that it's not even a translation.... nearly sloten work from google translator or bing translator. Where's the quality control isn't that suppose to be mentioned in reviews. This work translation is of no quality. But like I said... no guild lines it was censorship for unknown reasons, before mentioned here.

Also Tony don't let know me down here. You are more mature than me so don't laugh at the issue in which you are overseeing.

17. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder, how much more work is it to say "shadow ban" a review compared to deleting? You know like how only the reviewer himself can see the review until it's approved.

Maybe you could like slap on a text that says, "unapproved" without deleting it, to give the reviewer a chance to edit it so it can be approved, without giving you too much extra work.

Just a thought.~

kainee likes this.
  18. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that it's been said that there won't ever be a public way to rate translation groups. It would be useful for the readers but it would be demoralizing for the translators, because people are assholes, and demoralizing the translators is bad for the community. I am basically supportive of this stance.

I do sometimes wish we could tag MTL groups as MTL. If they admit they are MTL there should be no problem with it, aside from the aforementioned fact that people are assholes, but there isn't much one can do about that anyway. I think that is probably the closest we could get to being non-offensive towards translatiors and indicating translation quality ... and even then there would be a wide range of quality

kainee and makenai89 like this.
  19. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead everybody has to give empty flattery like in xianxia novels to make sure that they don't ever feel bad about themselves.

I think it can be a bit more in the middle-ground instead of two extremes...

20. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    I've said it before but if the language isn't that bad and people aren't repeating "this translator is bad", then I would probably approve it. http://www.novelupdates.com/series/doom-lord/ <--- I've approved reviews that talked about how bad the translations are.

I already know there's no guidelines on writing a review and that's my fault. I'm really busy at this time. I'll write one up when I get the time.

I'm not sure you mean by "don't let know down here".

Astaroth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.