Discussion Why you do this? ;^;

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by tara, Jul 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tara

tara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lately I have been trying to read novels irl again rather than going to NU or trying to find stories online 'cause have mercy on my english and sometimes I reach a point in the story and I'm like .... when did the character change and become annoying suddenly? Like the first half of the book is okay but then when shit actually happens, the protagonist changes to either being whiny or arrogant....?

dude, seriously you have been in prison for 10+ years, you have no self confidence, feel like shit then you get out, you don't know anything or anyone and you suddenly want to rule the world?

And what surprises me is that even if the book gets shitty reviews and authors do notice the reviews, as long as it is selling, who cares? MAKE A SEQUEL. I know I have the choice not to read that, but that doesn't only happen in one book, Oh no. It seems contagious tbh.

yeah I'm aware that half of the stories here are like that too

LordRikudo and Milanin like this.
  2. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You've answered your own question.

Risus, dryzzle and NoTofu like this.
  3. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    The might of ECONOMICS !!

4. tara

tara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, but that's annoying =.=. It could be good and still selling as much if not more, tho.

5. shellshocked

shellshocked Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes a story goes on for too long because the author doesn't know what to do with it.
    The opposite sometimes happens too you know, where the character does not change at all and eventually keeps repeating the same mistakes. An example that comes to mind are the Tarzan books.

Risus likes this.
  6. tara

tara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh that's just as bad if not worse .... no character development= same mistakes= you know how it ends.....

7. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    oh you're gonna love "god and devil world"

nyuu1224 likes this.
  8. shellshocked

Reading List:
    Link
    It ends like a pig sitting on a deflating balloon.
    It would really help some authors if they actually planned their stories ahead of time along more than simple plot point charting.
    One of the few authors I can think of that does some drafting is Er Gen. I love his stories because of this.

9. tara

tara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm not gonna ask....

10. Aizelf

Aizelf 『....』

Reading List:
    Link
    But the point is Chinese novels and such don't even try to show complicated character development and plots. So you dont expect anything from the story except for fights.
    While you have some of the paperback novels, which try everything...and fail at everything.

11. tara

tara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

I have read stories where authors claim they 'planned' the story ahead, but the results are the same. I swear to god one author said her book took 10 years to make and tbh I can find better stories at wattpad I think authors should take planning more seriously, their whole novel actually depends on it.

12. shellshocked

Reading List:
    Link
    A few of them do, like Ze Tian Ji or Great Tang Idyll. But they don't get translated as often.

I would love to see the planning or lack thereof of novels that are 2000 chapters long.

13. tara

tara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When i found about CN and other novels that has 2000+ chapters, I was kinda surprised, because how the hell can the author keep up with all of these infos.
    But then I found out, most of the chapters are too short to be called one.

14. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    haaaaa they try to become like that Big3 manga's. . . . but still fail. . . .
    even if 1 is down and the other one is being milked the last but the strongest one is still going on. . . . but well it might also because those authors don't have any editor or manager or advicer so it became like those. . . .

15. tara

tara Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is disappointing when you see one that has potential to be good but it just fails....

16. shellshocked

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think they're trying to become like japanese manga, they just want money. Serial style stories have existed for a long time as pulp fiction, just not to the extent of having 2000 chapters which is just nuts.

tara likes this.
  17. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhuh... i should change title to chasing fame after reading this

StudentAloe, tara and shellshocked like this.
  18. Trent

Trent ☕ Ursine Tea Zealot ☕

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, look at all the trashy web novels, thousands of chapters long, that would be split into way too many books if they were printed. Are their authors doing anything better?

Whether you're reading web novels or printed ones, you're going to experience a mountain of poorly written stories, a forest of decent ones, and an ERROR: insert metaphor here of fantastic ones. *cough*

The way you appreciate stories has likely changed somewhat, and you're also just running into bad novels. There are plenty of great ones as well.

shellshocked likes this.
  19. Stark3

Stark3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Eventually, at some point, webnovels would lose some steam, especially since it's a daily grind to churn out 1 to 2 chapters for most of them. Like some people have already pointed out, it's the rare series which has its story drafted / plotted out for a length of time.

For some stories, I get this feeling that the story was plotted out enough just to get the initial approval for the story concept and have it published - I say this because after just a 100 or so chapters they fall flat, with only a few strands left of the original brilliance that got you started. I've been bitten by this often enough that I imposed a policy not to review any novel until after the 100th or 150th chapter.

Still, you get the occasional gem in the rough. Just keep hanging on there .... :D

tara likes this.
  20. JoshRawrrs1

JoshRawrrs1 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wish fulfillment is a powerful thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.