Why you must use mac ?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by TheNewGuy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So today, after class, my prof give us an assignment, making/analyze something in a program called catia or patran/nastran, but then a new guy (a second/third year maybe) protesting why the prof. recommend using "high powered" windows pc or gaming laptop per group because the prof. only provide windows installation for the classes, because he own the most expensive laptop/mac in the class ( the rest is under $950 pc or laptop) and cannot use it (other than presentation).

The debate went on for about thirty minute with his point of how optimized mac is vs the prof. said that he need bigger ram and better processor and 99.9% of the student don't own mac, most using pc or gaming laptop or "cheap" laptop (ranging from $500 to $1000).

My question is, why you must using mac when all you need is processor + ram ? and how optimized is it for engineering field (analyize using cad/finite element) vs laptop or pc build with same price (include windows installation price) ? is it faster to analyze in cad ?

He's been in my head for some week for saying any mac is better than my reincarnated pc (rebuild old pc with all thing new except its hard drive, sell the old part, and buy new-er one), and saying i need a mac for creativity as i am into a designing (cad, catia, airflow,etc). my reborn pc is core i5 6600 8gb ram and gtx 1050 (the only one "available" at the time).

2. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Windows all day everyday

3. KingOfDreams

KingOfDreams [Master of Sleepiness]

Reading List:
    Link
    it all depends on the specs of your desktop if you got better processor and gpu than the one in mac it'll of course work better given that you aren't using the resources anywhere else.

AMissingLinguist and pocketbear like this.
  4. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Because windows sucks......

5. SpiralGust

Reading List:
    Link
    Specifics please?

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Mac's are complete garbage. Optimized my arse, almost every game and program is optimized for windows.

You only get a mac if you're rich and want to look like a prick when you surf facebook.

7. Sheep

Sheep Best Original Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    Because some people need to feel better about themself without understanding much about spec.

Anybody using Mac are looking for the fashion point instead of the usefulness.

mac is useful for design and server OS wise but performance wise its shit.

you are buying brand when you use MAC not buying power.

go figure why Apple advertisement always use young adult with headset and groovy headphone etc. its because they are the main market. People that use mac barely understand the different between RAM, HDD, Processor, SSD, Motherboard and etc.

8. SpiralGust

Reading List:
    Link
    And if you build your own you can upgrade it as long as parts are compatible ,I'd like to see that happen but it won't because that would void warranty for a mac etc

9. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont like apple. theyre more expensive than theyre worth in specs.
    Will never be using any apple in the future either.

10. Cite

Cite 『Procrastinator』

Reading List:
    Link
    Why would you buy those overpriced pieces of those apple junk?!?!? Just buy any windows computer and chances are it performs better and is cheaper.

11. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    I found Macs are shoddily made and the tech support is the worst out there.

Sheep likes this.
  12. RR Vocaloid

Reading List:
    Link
    Please tell me you're a Linux guy.

13. SpiralGust

Reading List:
    Link
    Only apple I use is a iPad and I'm sad to say it's pretty much barely functional except for safari

RR Vocaloid likes this.
  14. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    There are no specifics. Pople like something and dislike other. But my opnion is windows is for lazy people(i'm a windows and ubuntu user)

15. SpiralGust

Reading List:
    Link
    I see no reason for it to be for lazy people?

16. iCataclysm

iCataclysm [Sleepy Slime] [Skullie's Unwilling Pokemon no.2]

Reading List:
    Link
    I do agree that the OS for Mac is more optimized for performance (but it's within a certain limit) while the support for Windows is strong because it's been around for a long time now.

17. isekaishousetsu

isekaishousetsu Karakuri Pierrot

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm an architect.
    When I was in college, all my classmates who used mac had trouble either because the software wasnt compatible or the mac wasn't powerful enough.

The pc is more customizable and cheaper. If you know what you're doing, it trumps the mac anytime of the day.

Plus a huge percentage of aec programs were designed with windows in mind. Take note of this as it'll save you a lot of headache.

There are some programs though, that are better in mac but they are usually in the creative field.

18. Conqueror of Atlantis

Conqueror of Atlantis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion mac has it's good points and bad points, and depending on what you will use it for. Eks. Mac is not that bad for design, movie/video making and songs. But if your also gonna play games and stuff like that, Windows is better( and most games on steam are meant for windows).
    Ps:
    Had a mac for 5 years now, it only gets slower by time and organizing and transferring photos is a living hell

And a normal pc is cheaper and there are different options for your need and is easier to change or add parts

19. RR Vocaloid

Reading List:
    Link
    Last time I checked iOS is filled with clutter aimed at eating up your memory so you have to upgrade. Except Mac's are designed to make them near impossible to modify so you have to buy a new one.

20. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    When using ubuntu you need to learn a lot of thing to use it well. But windows you have only to know ho to open the app.