Why you must use mac ?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by TheNewGuy, Oct 2, 2017.

1. iCataclysm

iCataclysm [Sleepy Slime] [Skullie's Unwilling Pokemon no.2]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I can only speak from the old Mac perspective (since I've stopped using Apple products for a long time now) so things might have changed?

2. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I use Windows more since it is more common. Mostly a compatibility issue for me.

3. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well yea I'm not trying to do that I'm over here drinking that Mountain Dew and playing games

4. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    That's just good UX, not laziness. Linux and Ubuntu are nice for programmers, not so nice for the common populace.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My school provided MacBooks, then told us to use BootCamp to install a windows operating system so we could use Unity. The thing is Unity is perfectly compatible with Mac, we just have to use windows because we also have to use a file-sharing software called Perforce. Try and figure that craziness out.

6. Aethalis

Aethalis 【High Templar】【Professional Lurker】【Atheist】

Reading List:
    Link
  7. KuroShiroe

KuroShiroe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am from the Area of modeling mathematics so I will my PoV in this.

The only benefit that Mac gives in our case is the fact that is more stable and doenst fuck with you as often. So you can let it do work for a month w/o shutting down your computer in case you are modeling something that needs it. So in other words if you only are modeling stuff with little time(0-3 days aprox) you don't need it.

I have heard that is easier for Mac to animating and designing. Since most hardware on Mac is optimized for the software instead of the other way around making it so that the computer doenst have to use that much power in designing. And then again it's harder for a Mac to corrupt files since it is more secure than Windows or at least is said by quite a number of people.

Then again we use Ubuntu for modeling at least in the dry lab where I study since Mac is a overpriced piece of crap.

King0Mik, Zalpha and WeiFish like this.
  8. RR Vocaloid

Reading List:
    Link

Downloadmorerem.com is far superior

AMissingLinguist, Cite and Aethalis like this.
  9. JerryHatrick

JerryHatrick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I can't comment on engineering, I can say that Windows 10 is a raging pile of shit.

AMissingLinguist and SpiralGust like this.
  10. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mac's were optimized for a walled garden - hardware clearly specified, and software written specifically for hardware. The bad side was that the software made was optimized for the lowest common denominator, power users were depreciated. Windows, on the other hand, was a general purpose platform that ran on a multitude of compliant hardware, and served as a platform for a huge amount of specialized and generalized software. Many more PC developers than Mac.

None of that is as applicable as it used to be. Microsoft has embraced a similar walled garden approach, has crippled many parts of windows and exploited others into an ad and data-tracking platform. You no longer buy software, you rent a license and become the advertising and political data product that gets sold to other corporations.

Currently, both Mac's and PC's have similar enough power vs price ratios, and software is mostly available on both platforms as well, with windows still having a slight advantage in the marketplace, due mostly to it's historical dominance. Serious Engineering CAD work is best done on a workstation fit for it; classwork-type stuff is fine on any decent laptop. Your classmate is just a braggart fanboi.

As a former corporate IT security guy who could and did track the minutia of thousands of peoples lives via their work laptops: Both render your privacy nonexistent.
    Both suck. : )
    (written from a hardened stateless XPSP4 VM : )

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  11. retter23

retter23 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, engineering student here.
    In my case, we need a powerful laptop for drawing CAD models, designing software, drawing schemes with software are quite powerful. In my opinion, these programs are often optimised for Windows, as mentioned by other posters, some just don't support Mac. Another reason would be that Windows lets you customise your programs in a more versatile way.
    Macbooks often have a slimmer and more refined look, but the problem with this is that the laptop heats up easily, so when working with the more powerful software, it will get very hot easily.
    The only downside would be that a laptop is more of a 'bulky' thing that weighs more and looks less refoned than a Mac.

I'm not saying Apple is all bad, but for the price of a new MacBook. I would rather buy a powerful Windows laptop.

King0Mik likes this.
  12. isekaishousetsu

isekaishousetsu Karakuri Pierrot

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree on the overheating part.

13. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    I use a MacBook Pro 2012 and mines fine. I don't get the need for argument if it can run fine on both. Maybe I misread it.
    Oh, also, please don't just generalise all mac users as pricks and idiots. I got mine to make sure I don't play games in uni, don't be a prick just cause you can. People who buy macs always know what they're buying and what the alternatives are. If not purely because of people bashing them as individuals.

14. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's divide this into 3
    LINUX - great for super users who know what to do on software and hardware

PC - good for the general public who has a bit of know how on the hardware side.

MAC - disposable napkin that has plastic coverings. (disposable)
    They release new ones "better" than the old ones making the old one a lot inferior and you can't do anything about it but buy the new one.

15. novalance

novalance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mac is just a overly expensive PC... With Apple software that's it... Apple just tries to tie everything to that hardware, but at its core its just a PC ever since they moved from using Motorola processors which just couldn't keep up with Intel's tech advancements. Uses the same chip-sets actually cheaply made since I think they contract foxconn... Gawd I hate foxconn crap... I nickname them the no name no blame company as they manufacture a lot of unlabeled crap that finds its way in all sorts of PCs and small component crap..

There is some difference though as far as I recall in the screens used by apple which are 'supposedly' better... But, unless your doing graphic arts where color is just an absolute where you need to doing color comparisons or something... There is no reason to get a mac. That and if you were in that kind of business you would be getting specialty monitors anyway...

If you absolutely have to run Apple MAC software... You could always just run it on a VM, but there really isn't that much specialty software that isn't already written for windows already that isn't already stable enough to run.

MAC is based off of Unix BSD using the BSD license... I don't know the exact reason, but I am pretty sure they used the BSD variation because that license is free and is not like the GNU license where everything done has to be shared. BSD only requires credit to use the license for commercial purposes... You don't have to share your modifications if you did any... Which is how Apple doesn't have to pay to use it...

Security for Unix has always been pretty secure, but its being handed to a regular user so... That kinda just makes it not secure already... At some point that computer will get compromised with a regular user on it...

16. PantsyGreenCloud

PantsyGreenCloud Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country, mac are really expensive af... (although it's quality is just so-so). So by using it, you'll get a certain feeling of superiority for those poor peasant/plebeian :blobpopcorn:

17. RR Vocaloid

Reading List:
    Link
    "People who buy macs always know what they're buying and what the alternatives are."
    I couldn't disagree more. Also, we bash people after they get a mac, that doesn't stop them in the decision making process.

While you made a concerted effort to research and knew the alternatives, most don't.

18. Eruxol

Eruxol Du-sollst――Dies irae

Reading List:
    Link
    As a programmer and a gamer, i use windows all the way. But yeah win 10 is shit, it's a shame win 7 mainstream is no longer supported. I think people use mac because which i have to admit cool and stylish.

19. beyond

beyond Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    idk about mac ... but i'm an iPhone user .. if you ask me to choose Android or iPhone i will absolutely choose iPhone . so smooth, no app crash , and gaming is great .

i think haters will hate this .

20. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    Then that's on them then. To spend that amount of money and not know what they're getting nor the alternatives is their own fault and they bear the consequences not the general public or those who hold the same views as you and other bashers. I don't see why people need to bash at all since it doesn't even effect them other than conflicting with their preference. Which is hardly a reasonable ground to bash someone on.