Why's this plot used often to connect lovers in most Novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Yuki_Makoto13, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    When have I ever argued that women can never fall in love with their rapist? Have I ever said those words? No. I haven't.

But if you're going to write active rape into the story as something the main character, the one you're supposed to relate to, does, you have to do it well. And if you're going to have his victim fall in love with him afterwards, you have to do it better still.

And don't give me that shit about "dressed up version of rape". Are you talking about the filth women themselves read where they're seduced? 50 shades of grey etc? There is an enormous difference. Those are almost invariably written from the womans point of view. Having an internal view of the victim and not the perpetrator is completely different.

kainee likes this.
  2. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm i guess so. My point was more that who women fall in love with is often irrational. So if you feel it doesnt seem realistic it could in fact be too realistic.

3. Readingaddict36

Readingaddict36 [Mostly dead]

Reading List:
    Link
    So here's my two cents:
    First I don't believe the 'there are women who want to get raped' statement. That's mysoginist bullcrap.
    Yes there are those who enjoy being dominated but that's fundamentally different. Rape is never consensual and a both physical and mental violation for the victim.
    Second, there are indeed cases where the victim develops positive feelings for the rapist but there are conditions for this. a) the victim does it to cope with the trauma, b) the victim has no means of escape, c) it's not a one time thing, so the victim needs to adapt. Still these conditions often rather lead to suicide or mental disorder. And even if 'amourous' feelings emerge, they are coupled with dependency.
    As for the occurrence in novels: Imo it's like stated earlier sometimes due to poor imagination of the author but it can also be interpreted as releasing a pent up gender-connected frustration. Please don't hold me liable for this as I hold no proof:
    In asian countries mothers hold a position of power over the family, exspecially children. this might lead to a subconcious feeling of oppressment as showing sexual urges/needs by males is frowned upon, thus usually hidden and repressed. Rape fantasies are a reversal of this, putting the man in absolute power/control, so he can freely act on his sexual urges, ego boost ensured. ('whipped' mc isn't a mere trope I think). The victim starting to enjoy it/ falling in love later on could be a try to absolve the mc of his crime, removing the bad taste.
    On another note, what do you know, I believe remembering reading some articles about women wanting more proactive boyfriends, not having to be 'in charge' of setting up romantic/sensual moments.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    Consider the story's setting. The women are often depicted as powerful individuals, proud and aloof. Yet when they have fallen into the clutches of the MC, they also surrendered their hearts. It's because the author wants to paint a picture whereby the women have been 'tamed' or dominated by the MC: firstly by physical means and then mentally by having the MCs play on their emotions.

If after the 'good deed' the MC treats the women badly, they would of course revolt. Such a MC would be a scumbag anti-hero anyway. But by having the MC immediately apologizing or openly admitting their love and/or lust for the women, the author gives an illusion of justification for the women to forgive him and eventually fall in love with the MC.

You ask why authors do this, the answer is very simple: it's far easier to write about someone being submissive or a lesser partner to another, rather than to write about a relationship of equals.

This goes beyond writing female love interests for the MC, observe the lack of major antagonists in those novels. Most stories have a "monster/villain of the week" variety. There are very few novels that showcase them as equally interesting as the main character.

5. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as the translation goes. There has been Rape yes. But it hasn't been Rape in the way the OP(whom started the thread) was wondering about. In fact, in this story... The MC and that woman in question both got raped by a third party... Which is a bit odd but ye. And he simply born a determination to make amends/take responsibility. So I do not find that too... Bad? Besides, both were basically under Estrus during the fact so the 'rape' became a bit tamer.

On topic.
    I rarely see Rape in novels. I see forced sex which can be considered 'rape' but I call it Forced rather than Rape since in most of these 'rape' novels that you people are talking about includes getting the woman going before the act is done... To me, rape is when the woman isn't really aroused or prepared for it... Basically Dry penetration, physical violence etcetra. The closest in terms of Xianxia/Cultivation novels goes, GDK is the one I've read closer to the Stockholm syndrome that you people are talking about mostly.

But ye, my view of Rape may be a bit outside normal view, but this is because most Rapes tend to be... Dry, unprepared penetrations. Basically something known as realistic/grim dark.

6. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What the hell? This is once again, confusing the exception to the rule. Why is rape criminalized? Because normal people frown upon it.

Your head is skewed if you think raping someone has a high probability of them falling for you.

Sick.

7. Aternus

Reading List:
    Link
    when did I say "me" or any normal human for that matter? its like were not on a novel site...

in all cases of this in literature the man is beyond normal limits. an OP cultivator with ethereal beauty for example. Also in cases where society places a heavy importance on virginity different from our modern one.

second the rape is almost always surrounded by supernatural circumstances that differentiate from the sick crime it is in a normal modern world.

8. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's your opinion right? But your opinion, doesn't apply to yourself?

So women falling in love with their rapists is realistic, but not if the rapist was you?

Added: and dude, you made real world examples, so that should reflect your opinion.

9. Aternus

Reading List:
    Link
    its also my opinion that humans will one day colonize the galaxy, it doesn't mean that I personally will, thats a silly point. Second you can take anything out of context and then it completely changes meaning. ex:

10. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I quoted the whole thing before duh?!? That quote was just to show you clearly- that it was your opinion.

Your argument is so flawed. Just because it's your opinion... Doesn't mean you'll personally do it? That was your point with the colonization thing. It's a stupid example. Willingness and capability are two different things.

A more valid example would be: I think jews should die (and I think they want to be killed, and would probably thank their killers) but I won't personally kill them. That sir, is more similar to your rape position.

Akin to saying, I think rape victims grow to love their rapist- I won't rape them though.

Get better justifications. I never took you out of context. My first quote was the whole thing- only when you argued
    "When did I say me?"- did I quote that one line. That was in reference to the whole post I ALREADY quoted in its entirety.

Again... Get better points, colonization... Lol.
    A belief on what will happen, is different on an opinion on certain situations.

Clearly flawed justifications.

11. nerebear

nerebear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you want something a little more concrete, I can give a bit.

Orgasms release chemicals in your brain that can be highly addictive. Highly! http://www.sexualhealthsite.info/the-dark-side-of-the-big-o.php

So, when someone gets raped to the point of single or multiple orgasms, those chemicals are being released into the brain's reward center.

Have that reward center ping for a person so many times, and the person being raped will form an acceptance to the idea of rape. Hell, you can turn a person gay or bisexual or torture someone through the same kind of constant chemical release.

Now, if you take a look at love, you will see that it too is an addictive matter formed through the same process; if not entirely, mostly.

Boy meets girl, girl likes guy, guy does things the girl likes, pleasure centers of the brain light up, the addiction, however small or large, is formed, and the relationship forms. Make her go cold turkey from the experiences that light up the pleasure center, and she will find someone else that can make it light up.

Rape, under the right circumstances, will do the same.

Bamm. School is out yo.

12. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How does that negate the argument of "seeing the exception as the rule?"
    Your argument clearly strengthens my argument.

Yes, it could happen. Yes, a person being raped could have orgasms - since orgasms are physical in nature.

Your argument that "in the right circumstances" - clearly show that it is an exception to the rule, and not the rule.

Indeed, school is out- however, you should go back in.

13. nerebear

Reading List:
    Link
    I was replying purely to "Your head is skewed if you think raping someone has a high probability of them falling for you. "

Rape is illegal, like many other things such as murder and theft, because people, for the most part, fear it. I'm not contesting the legality of the matter or the fact that people do fear rape itself.

If someone really wanted to push that line of discussion, they could talk about any early culture that basically encouraged rape. That or modern cultures that reject rape but do nothing about it. I would go as far as to consider arranged marriages a form of rape, but I wont go there.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  14. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. If you were replying purely to the "Your head is skewed if you think raping someone has a high probability of them falling for you. " - then your arguments are so invalid.

You even said "under the right circumstances", so you should admit that "that" circumstance is the exception- and not the rule.

15. nerebear

Reading List:
    Link
    Saying "under the right circumstances" doesn't mean that those circumstances are rarely met. Thats my way of not graphically or verbally running through the not for children material. "My arguement" wasn't invalid because it went over how a rape victim would become emotionally attatched to a rapist in a very clear and concise way.

Also, I'm not focused on what ever rule you are so focused on. Lol. Dem rape rules.

Tyrant likes this.
  16. Tyrant

Tyrant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't say a "high" possibility, but a possibility nonetheless as nere pointed out.

17. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly- that "low" possibility is the exception to the rule.

Whioh is why it is a skewed mind that expects the exception to happen instead of the rule- especially in this particular topic.

Imagine if everyone raped because they expected the victim to love them? Again I would repeat: Your head is skewed if you think raping someone has a high probability of making them fall for you.

I hope that clears that up.

18. nerebear

Reading List:
    Link
    We can agree to disgree. Otherwise we will continue going back and for, saying the same things back and forth.

19. kainee

kainee 「Lazy Lurker」【Overlord of Slumber】

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo, @Glaurung, I think that dude is trolling you. Just ignore him. If he really has such opinions in RL, then he's pretty much one step away from some prison sex himself.

20. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think so too. @nerebear's arguments are so skewed. Just because something can happen- doesn't mean it's the norm. He doesn't even understand what exception to the rules mean. So when I say "exception and not the rule", he has no clue. I never said, his scenario can't happen- it can, but I think everyone agrees that the possibility is very low.

To think he would argue against the point that: you have to be crazy to think that if you raped someone- they'd fall for you. To argue against that specific point. Wow. That's saying, if you raped someone- they'd probably fall for you. Now that's screwed up.

Under the right circumstances, means the condition is not normally met. The moon can block the sun under the right conditions- doesn't mean it happens daily. Under normal conditions- is the rule (I hope he understands rule by now), under the right conditions- is the exception to the rules.

kainee and Imnotarobot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.