Why's this plot used often to connect lovers in most Novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Yuki_Makoto13, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20cents

20cents New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been wondering I should say anything, thought I wasn't going to but then decided to.

While I am not going to discuss the implication of rape in fiction and the relationship of rape fantasies have with power and domination fantasies

On the point on what is real, I must point out.

In a sense, yes orgasms could occur during rape. And orgasms does involve a chemical reaction. But the term pleasure and attachment need to be fully understood before making that claim.

I don't believe humans are such base creatures that will simply react and accept, feel good and enjoy = attachment

And this article could be cited there about arousal and rape.
    http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-05/science-arousal-during-rape

the discussion of whether the rape-induced arousal is a biological reaction or a psychological on is a difference of opinion.

I don't know if you are a lawyer or not, perhaps you would make a good one.
    Point is, when the lawyer was told that the victim admitted to having orgasmed when she was held down and raped by 4 men, the argument was that they were friends, since they were flatmates and since she orgasmed she must have wanted it and therefore consensual. She must have changed her mind afterwards the facts, to ruin the lives of “good people”

Even with scholarly evidence the prosecutor was unable to convince the jury that orgasm does not equal consent

Regardless of what you believe, I refuse to believe that the victim, if she was raped more under the “under the right circumstances”, like in basement for over 20 years she could have and attachment to the rapists. I don't ever want to believe that maybe she just didn't “light up” enough, otherwise, she would have fallen for those men.

I don't know what the percentage is, nor the number of cases there are, but i can unequivocally say there are cases where a victim of rape orgasmed, but no once, not once saw it as a moment of pleasure.

Not to argue, not talking about fiction, just saying what happens

What you believe is up to you

That is all I created the account to say

2. Tyrant

Tyrant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Glaurung You're twisting the initial argument which was: it's realistic for the rape victim to fall in love with the lover. No one said anything about it being "high probability" before you.

nerebear likes this.
  3. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    This thing still going on?

Hah......
    For me the answer was quite simple...
    Most people / reader read things for dramatic things... Most of you, I think, will hate slow / undramatic novels (like mot Slice of Live stories).
    So most readers want dramatic thingy
    Rape is a dramatic event
    So authors used rape as dramatic device
    Readers get dramatic event they wanted, authors get viewer
    It is a cheap tactic,but it works (somehow) to create a dramatic feeling
    And just admit it, Humans are assholes and hypocrites, and most popular story showed how asshole and double standard a human can be

Westeller likes this.
  4. Luc666-_-

Luc666-_- Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont know, i dont think it is used all that often except in ero novels. For xianxia, there was one i think called Chaotic Lightning Cultivation that used sex as a way to cultivate and apparently the MC raped a girl to advance. Then they continued since it raised their power. But other than things like that....I dont know. Other than MGA nad a few others, i dont see it used often in Xianxia in a way to force relationships. In ATG, it was used but it didnt force a relationship since the two already had feelings for one another at that time. So it was still rape, but it wasnt a terrible depiciton of it and was, in my opinion, a bit of a grey area. So, that is the only real time i recall it being used in xianxia like that. And again, the relationship wasnt forced as a result. It was pretty much already there. I mean, it would have progresses that way even without rape being involved.

So yeah, other than in MGA and others it's not something i run across very often, using rape to force a relationship. Maybe its simply since i dont usually read novels with a rape tag so i dont know of many examples of it. Well, specifically i dont really read novels where the MC is alright with raping, like in MGA. Sometimes i do read it, and sometimes i would have conflicting thoughts on the matter depending on the situation like how it was in WDQK the first time it appeared, but usually it wouldnt be in the tags and i would read it not knowing what would happen. So, i dont know of many novels that have what the OP is describing. As i said, mainly i would see this in ero novels. (i dont read ero novels where the rape is obvious, and the MC is scum, but i do know this would be a common thing in ero novels simply from tags, the description and the reviews)

To really answer the question, i would say that its simple to execute and such, so that is why it is used. Plus, people in the novels would have different views, so....yeah. Its easy to establish the thought of, "I already conquered your body, so eventually your heart will follow" i guess? Like, they already went that far so they might as well learn to live with it and fall in love so the victim can feel a bit better about it because it was the person they loved who did it? That's Stockholm Syndrome is what it is.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  5. kainee

kainee 「Lazy Lurker」【Overlord of Slumber】

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, this thread has been an awesome place for me to add people to my ignore list. I am side-eyeing the people that come in here with some troll logic like crazy. I can acknowledge why you might think or act the way you do but I also have the right to reject you and your kind of logic and be a better human being than you are. I don't need that bullshit in a world that's already gone mad.

For the few sane voices in here, there, there... If you rely on the internet as a window into humanity, the suicide and depression rate would climb so high... Logic and reason won't work with them. Their heads are too thick for that. Just let it go.

Could maybe a mod lock this thread so the trolls won't keep getting fed?

Readingaddict36 and Imnotarobot like this.
  6. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So initial argument- it's realistic for a rape victim to fall for the rapist.

Answer: no.
    Argument: exception vs rule.
    :ust because there is a chance it could happen- doesn't mean it's realistic.

I'll buy a lottery ticket, there's a chance I'll win- but realitically, I won't.
    Again, don't mistake the "exception" to the "rule"

So is it realistic for a victim to fall for the attacker? No.
    Is there a probability? Yes.

If you were offered to invest in something that would double your money 5% of the time, but fail the rest- is that a really a good investment? Will you realistically double your money?

7. nerebear

nerebear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I originally was not going to look at this thread anymore; however, two people felt fit to attack my character with fallacies rather than logically reply to my objective point of view. Weak.

For the record, I am personally against rape. Unless a woman/or man asks for it as a form of fetish play, I say throw the perpetrators in prison. I wouldn’t even let them out since it has been known to be a repeat crime. With all this said, I am still able to objectively argue a single point without letting my emotions run rampant.

For the people that don't know what ad hominems are, ill tell you. Ad Homs are used to attack your opponent's character or personal traits in an attempt to undermine their argument. In other words, their argument is so weak that they must resort to attacking someone rather than continuing a logical debate.

It is a fallacy. What is a fallacy one might ask? It is a failure in reasoning that renders an argument invalid.

Alrighty, lets start responding to everything.

Lol. Since when does objectively and logically looking at something and replying to a post with sound data from a credible source equal being one step away from prison sex or trolling? Lol, dis foo. I'm not trolling, and I love your ad hominem fallacy.

“I think everyone agrees that the possibility is low”. lol. When did you start talking for everyone? Skewed? I’m purely looking at data to back up my objective claim. Norm? When did I ever say it was the norm? Furthermore, although you obviously think that the possibility is low, it happens more often than you’d think. Again, this is backed up by statistics on rape victims and people stuck in bad relationships.

I have no clue? The rule? You are right, I don't. However, that is only because you don't actually lay out what your rule is and substantiate it with a logical layout or factual data.

Try arguing your point without using personal attacks against a person’s character, and you will see that you don't actually have that much to say on the matter. Hell. Google is at your disposal, use it. These ad hominems. Lol.

Under the right circumstances does not mean the condition is not normally met. Lol. Stop banking so hard on this fact. For example, I could say that under the right circumstances, a baby could be born. What are those circumstances? Well. Two people have sex. Check. They don’t die for 9 months after said sex. Check. The woman doesn’t get an abortion. Check. The baby doesn’t die from a birthing complication. Check. An air plane doesn’t randomly blow the hospital up after the baby is born. Cheeeeck. Saying that something can happen under the right circumstances don’t mean that those circumstances being met are rarely met. What a joke.

Additionally, you keep talking about a rule that doesn’t have any real application to what it is we are specifically talking about. You are only spouting and yelling, “rule, rule, rule.” Hell, you didn’t even lay out what the “rule” is, not that it matters, because the horrible act that rape is isn’t something outlined or controlled by your mythical rule. What a joke.

This is why i linked it to chemical dependency and addiction that would form over a period of time. that period of time would differ between people. furthermore, chemical dependencies won't necessarily form; I openly admit that. I am happy that someone has actually looked things up before responding to me. I tip my hat to you, not that I wear one. : 3

I too think this. There are many people out there that won't fall to such a thing. I also account for the billions of people in the world evening out the statistics.

If I were to argue any point, I would actually argue against the lawyer. No matter what light he wanted to shine on that event, it was still an illegal and punishable offense. Even if she “changed her mind” half way through, that first half would still be illegal; thus, I’d still say send them to prison.

Also, I’m not a lawyer. : 3

I agree with your sentiment on “What you believe is up to you”. I won’t try to change your mind. We disagree on some things, but that is okay. That is how a world full of people works.

Ty. I never said it would have a high probability. I just said that the probability isn’t low.

That is your opinion.

Again, you don’t explain your “rule”. You don’t actually explain it and/or use it to explain why this isn’t a realistic matter.

This is a weak fallacy that is designed to support your-self without any actual data or logical argument. This is quickly turning from “is this realistic” to “you can’t even argue your point in a logical manner”.

Again. Opinion. It is fine for you to have that opinion even though you did no research into the matter; however, when you start attacking other people’s character for having a different opinion, you bad. Mkay?

Finally, something that we agree on.

Another fallacy designed to back your-self up. Anyone here that has had to go through a class that required some form of intellectual debate would shake their head at you in disappointment.

moevora likes this.
  8. Aszure

Aszure #^#^

Reading List:
    Link
    ohooh which one you made me interested

9. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I get it @nerebear.

When I said victims falling in love with their rapists was the exception and not the rule (the rule being they won't)- you actually contested that. You thought that was opinion.

So in your opinion... victims falling in love with their rapists is the realistic outcome.

Ok... now I get it....

10. nerebear

nerebear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not the realistic outcome, a realistic outcome.

11. Smooth Che

Smooth Che [Awaiting TS' Approval]

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the aliens pranked us without us noticing creating this unsolvable equation

12. Tyrant

Tyrant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Twisting the words again?

13. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope that won't do. The keyword is realistic. Buying a lottery ticket- is winning a realistic outcome? No it's a longshot. It's a possible outcome.

Expecting a girl you raped to love you- is that a realistic outcome? There's a possibility, no matter how slim, but a realistic outcome? Possible-yes, realistic-no.

A 300lb man joins a marathon and wins. Realistic outcome? Nope. Possible though, if the circumstances are right.

@Tyrant Not twisting words, the words are there.

kainee likes this.
  14. Tyrant

Tyrant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You say all that but you can't prove it with any evidence, thus making it your opinion.

15. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So would you say your views are opposite mine? Hence, expecting a girl to love you is a realistic outcome?

Common sense is enough to prove my points, yet you want statistics? Isn't the fact that there's an actual law against rape enough? Do I still need to do a survey? The fact that t_ere's a law is enough proof.

Excuse me married couple, how did you two fall in love? Oh... It started when he raped me. Duh?

Really?

kainee likes this.
  16. kainee

kainee 「Lazy Lurker」【Overlord of Slumber】

Reading List:
    Link
    I put the troll on ignore and even I can tell how braindead their response is just from yours. You make me glad that I did ignore them because I can only imagine the skyrocketing blood pressure and the vein throbbing in my forehead if I caught sight of their stupidity.

I really don't think you should keep feeding them though. They clearly refuse to see reality and have bought into the mastubatory fantasy that their media consumption has fed them to the point where it's this self-enforcing echo chamber that they refuse to leave. They're pretty much just going to have to try to pull that shit in real life, get fucked over real bad by the state, society, and literally by somebody who makes them their prison bitch before they'll see your good intentions and/or the logic behind your arguments.

If they want to remain delusional, let them. It sucks to know there's dipshits like that in the real world but I think it's probably time to write them off as wastes of time and focus your energy on something else that's actually worth it. They've proven they're pretty much black holes of logic anyway.

17. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    I was going to take this thread seriously and reply, but then I saw you also wrote this.

18. Fragments of Shadows

Fragments of Shadows [The Broken One] [Chaser of Tales] [Hungry Ghost]

Reading List:
    Link
    If you really want it locked you should summon them so they can check it out and see if it needs be locked. Even better if you summon one that's online if you really want it locked right away.

For Example: @Parth37955

Could you check this thread out and decide if it needs to be locked or not? It's derailed and not really talking about novels anymore despite being in Novels General and gotten kind of aggressive.

19. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> I don't want to check this thread out. seems annoying. locking just cause.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.