Will Neurolink Make VRMMORPG A Reality?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Reindeer, Jan 17, 2020.

?

What do you think about Neurolink?

1. Exciting

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. Scary

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Can't say, really

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as the genre of VRMMORRPG has disappointed me again and again, I still find it one of the more interesting genres out there. After all, wouldn't it be cool to be able to play with just lying down and letting your brain do the work? Well apparently, we're already within decades of reaching that technology.

This is both very exciting and scary at the same time. The convenience brought by this would be crazy, but man who in their right mind would want to mess with their brains. Although this technology seems more similar to us using our hands to manipulate our phones. Basically skip over the hands part and literally control the phone like you would control your hands. If it's a one way (brain to outside) flow of signals, I guess it's not that risky?

Now the reason why I thought this could lead to VRMMORPG is that since we're even going to be able to control phones, wouldn't we be eventually able to control a second set of body too if this technology goes far enough? Today, we are living in the future. But the future is even more than where we are today, isn't that pretty crazy?

2. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is old news, as I've already seen what it's all about. Certainly it's a ingenious idea for cybernetics in the future, but will this make SAO a reality? No, it will not, but hopefully it will help inspire or pioneer the technology possible to make SAO a reality. Why SAO? Well, that is the grand scheme of things in VR, since prototype nerve gears already exist. I rather play Accel World, because trauma is power! Weakness is power! Reality can eat shit in Accel World!

3. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    The first problem is how a game world which is equal to the real world can be created then next comes the problem of synchronisation of humans in that environment and how can all the senses can be reproduced too. Long story short, NO.

Araenn likes this.
  4. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    well think of it like this. . .
    how are human alive?
    maybe real life is just a server where it's players cannot access menu's or maybe those things are not implemented.
    maybe when you die, you just create another character where it will grow old and die again,
    making a cycle. . .

and those people who says that they remember their past lives, are players.wgo were somehow bugged.

5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I just can't wait to start building my personal Ai designed by me to read my mind faster and execute my commands with very little energy on my part. Programming will get so much easier, and I'll be able to develop all the tools I want.

Reindeer likes this.
  6. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is cool and all but we all know that someone would abuse it...

7. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you call?

8. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering that the concept of a neurological interface with computers has been around for a long time. For instance, the first time I remember encountering the concept was with some novels by James P. Hogan such as Giants' Star in 1981 and The Genesis Machine in 1978. Of course in those novels, the interface wasn't used for games, but the concept of a brain/computer interface has been around for quite a while.
    We're getting closer and I hope we can develop a noninvasive full dive interface. But if that isn't possible, I wouldn't be surprised if an implant based system is eventually developed simply because the technology is so potentially useful.

Havisu likes this.
  9. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't need to be hyper realistic. It can just be literally an MMO in VR for now. We already have the technology for full-body tracking and making elaborate body movements in VR. Prime example of this are the Virtual YouTubers. I've seen them use full-body tracking in VRChat for example. Now if we make an actual game that uses this feature plus Neurolink that can make the players have full control of their character's body, we pretty much already have a functioning VRMMO. This is totally workable in a decade or two. The other impossible things like time dilation and other senses can wait for later.

10. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Being able to do it is cool and all, but can we afford it? Most likely not in my lifetime. At least I can watch rich streamers use it in the future.

Havisu likes this.
  11. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before we get into vr,

lets talk about ghost in the shell/matrix brain info dump.

For unlimited knowledge , would you connect your brain to the internet? Say theres a chance that you could short circuit, but the chance is better than you crashing on an airplane. (does not say anything about the chance of people hacking into your brain though)....

Araenn likes this.
  12. Arash1

Arash1 A Simple Introvert

Reading List:
    Link
    Overlord, Yggdrasil please be created before I die

13. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    This depends on how much advanced we are on neuron research. We probably have much more information than when this concept was first introduced before, but we still lack in the part of human body modification. While other things such as bionic hand have been successfully implemented in real life, they aren't really related to neuron, but instead based on muscles nerf.

Now, lets talk about elon.

Elon Musk huh..

you know, for some reason no matter how much people preach me of how genius he is, I don't find him all that amazingly genius.

All of his so called invention or ideas, are actually something that we all probably already thought up before, it just that we don't have the money or capability to make it public and get applauded for it (we'll get criticized instead lol).

The same goes to this Neuralink... It strangely sound freaking familiar eh? Well because not only the name is almost the same as Neuro Linker from Accel World, but how it was used was used, and how it needs implant also very familiar to it. Almost 99.9999% lol. Neuralink is wireless? Oh thats nothing new in AW, they also have brain implant chips which enable that. Can play VR? Oh well..

Instead of genius, i would call him a weeb opportunist. He claimed a doable (but maybe in far future) ideas and make it his own. And then, many tens of years later, when those ideas can be realized, people would truly believe he's the real kayaba akihiko lol.

The ideas have always been known to us, especially since .hack series started many years ago. And then when an anime that focused on how the device itself works, few years later, elon announced this shyt lol.

But, even though the ideas are not original, the advancement in neuron research that we waited for might not even move much from our times, if no one gonna be initiating it, elon boy must be afraid he won't make it in time to do a full dive into isekai world lol, so he initiated this himself lol

My bet, maybe 10 or 20 years from now on, we can see much advancement thanks to ElonWeeb Isekai Musk initiating this ideas to public.

I means, the ideas is there, but who gonna make the world seriously look at it if not the "genius" inventor right?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  14. starwarscards

starwarscards Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I feel you and kind of agree. He just has the money to make stuff happen and the will to see it through. I told my family years ago about how the technology was floating around for full VR it just had to all be put together.

Havisu likes this.
  15. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    isn't VR a totally scam? Buying a 1000usd 6dof only to discover there isn't many title except vr girl friends.
    And you need an another 1000 dollar pc to power that thing. In the end the gaming experience...... I couldn't recommend it to anyone. But vr girlfriends are good. Expecially the ones with H-patchs.

I basically don't sees a need in vr. As the cost of making those 6 dof is extremely costly and that's not even full dive. Indeed recent years computers are improving very fast in recent years but there isn't much growth since the intel sandy bridge to kaby lake. And soon x84 will hit another wall and the progress will stop again like few years back.

And everyone's is unique, everyone is different. If all our brains are same, there wouldn't be stupid people like me in this world.

Jeebus likes this.
  16. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Long-term? Soon, Short term? No, not possible with this current age of technology though who knows in the upcoming decades or so. I'll prolly be 10 feet underground by then.