win 10 fall update on unactivated os

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Parth37955, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So...I have an unactivated win 10 os right now cause I'm cheap and don't want to spend the $119 for something unnecessary. However, I didn't get the far update. currently, I'm sitting at version 1607. I'm guessing it's cause it is unactivated. I'd rather not pay for it, so would manually installing the update work instead? and will it function just fine because I didn't activate it?

If you don't know, then don't answer >_>

CountryMage likes this.
  2. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I recall right, you can use an unactivated Windows 10 just fine for most things. The only real limitation was a few minor quirks, like you can't change your own themes and you'll also get a nag message. But other than that, what you're trying to do should work just fine. Although I think it'd work if you tried updating automatically too.

I found this link. I don't really know how accurate it is since I am using an activated copy of windows and the site itself is not Microsoft, but it does state the limitations of an unactivated copy.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/you-do-not-need-activate-windows-10

Westeller likes this.
  3. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    I did. by now all computers should be updated other than pro and enterprise...I'll try waiting a week but after that all computers should already be updated automatically.

4. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Windows Update should work properly even with an unactivated copy of Windows 10. If you're not getting the update through Windows Update, it could be hardware related. Are you using a really old computer? I know that Microsoft deprecated some really old processors with the Fall Update. If you're using a processor made in the last 8 years or so, you should be safe. If that's the case, you can download the update directly. Follow the directions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update

5. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    heh. I built my computer barely a year ago. it should be fine. I'm just worried it'll bug me if I'm not activated but...seems like it'll be fine? Thanks.

6. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are only two things Windows does if you're not activated. It nags you on occasion and puts a little watermark on your desktop, and it prevents you from using personalization settings to change cosmetic settings. I've heard Windows Updates are also occasionally delayed if you're unactivated, but you shouldn't have any issue manually applying the update.

If you don't want to spend $120, you can always get an old Windows key from the gray market and upgrade it to Windows 10. Keys bought from those markets are usually $30 or less. The only downsides are that the key could be invalid or could be invalidated at a later date. So, buy with caution.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobokhand: I'll backup just in case.

8. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    There was a general windows activation key for windows 10 that may work.
    upload_2018-1-12_17-57-30.png
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7?auth=1

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
  10. 13th Echelon

13th Echelon Piping Hot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you upgrade your OS to win 10? How come you're not activated?

11. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd use security theory to explain that you shouldn't even see the activation key as windows will automatically generate one using the product key as the inspiration. But that's low-level stuff that most of us don't need to know. Nevertheless, when you attempt to activate a copy of Windows, you will enter in a "product" key.

If it's a legit product key, then activation will proceed smoothly. Otherwise you'll get an activation error.

If you think I'm blowing hot air, just type into Google, "windows activation key" and then the first few sources that come up will instead use the term "product key"

12. EienMugetsuTensho

Reading List:
    Link
    I have only activated windows with product keys... After upgrading to windows 10 those are the product keys every user will have.

13. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    uh, built my own pc a few months back. clean install of win 10.

14. EienMugetsuTensho

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    so I would just put that code in for activation?

16. EienMugetsuTensho

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, try the product key. If you have a product key for windows 7 or 8/8.1 you can also try that but try win 10 product key first.
    I have clean installed and deleted the partition windows was on multiple times and I was able to activate windows with the win 10 product key.

17. Atamahead027

Atamahead027 Pleasure Research Club President

Reading List:
    Link
    Fall update ruined my vga driver back then. Gotta instal from zero via safe mode, because the resolution is mismatch after update

Wujigege likes this.
  18. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got an old old PC that I updated to an unactivated Win 10, and yeah, I've got a watermark in my face all day, have to download theme packs to change anything, and while updates come out regularly, I think the last one may have screwed up something in my system, since I had to reload recently.

Edit: oh right, mine was updated from a XP, and other than that, the automatic updates have given me no problems, pretty sure all my errors are from outdated hardware.

19. 13th Echelon

13th Echelon Piping Hot Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... so it's a clean install. I have a computer on win 7 or 8 activated then upgraded to win 10 thus my win 10 is activated. Then I can just copy the product key with my other computers. Pretty easy no clean install needed after the upgrade, I just have to update the win 10.

20. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    so. I did it and it's saying that it's still not activated. do I have to wait or something?
    ...I looked at the site you linked to. I would still need a win 7 or 8 key :/