Windows 10 or Windows 7, which OS do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by TooLazyToThink, Feb 17, 2017.

?

Windows 10 or Windows 7, which OS do you prefer?

1. Windows 10

30.4%
  2. Windows 7

49.4%
  3. Windows 8

3.8%
  4. XP

16.5%
  1. Cfourify

Cfourify Undercover FBI agent

Reading List:
    Link
    people suggesting windows 7 over windows 10 probably didn't even experience using it specially after the beta. as someone who used windows 7 and is using windows 10 i can say that windows is better if you dont want windows 10 just go with windows xp

2. GM_Rusaku

GM_Rusaku Neptune-sama's Devoted Follower

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Pandamonic

Pandamonic [The Great Swimming Panda]

Reading List:
    Link
    Been there done that. I pity you.

I like windows 7 more coz ive been using its since years.

4. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    6 years desu~
    still with me fell a couple of times too desu~

5. insyder1201

insyder1201 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm using Windows 7 because I had a copy of Windows laying around, but you should probably get Windows 10.
    I might trigger people by saying this, but because it is almost impossible to do things without Microsoft/Google/NSA watching your every move, you might as well either get a good Linux distro such as Ubuntu or just not care about people spying on your stuff. I'm saying this because Windows 10 has a heap of things that log a lot of the things you do.
    Windows 10 is also newer and has more and more things being released for it. I'm on Windows 7 and some of my drivers are just the Windows Update drivers since the official drivers for my parts are only for Windows 8 or 10.
    Also, the data people get about you in their massive servers is classed under a new trend called 'big data', which is data(usually statistics) that is so big that the possibility is astronomically small that someone will look at your individual data. To even make sense of those stats you need to make stats about those stats. So if it's any consolation, your data will just be contributing to a really big amount of statistics, there will be no men with suits, earpieces and sunglasses watching your activity to see if you are pirating movies or anything.

6. Pandamonic

Reading List:
    Link
    Ive reformat mine for atleast 10 times. used different kind of windows, bought some ram. At least it lasted for 8 years. Now its in the thrash. The the circuit burned >.<

7. iamsleepless

iamsleepless (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Reading List:
    Link
    As they stated before if you want to play games till 2016 take windows 7
    If you want better support for future games go for windows 10
    And they are still messing with the 10 the preview gaming mode showed Decrease in performance hope they won't continue developing it and are still going for fancy looks instead of performance with project neon and stuff

I dual boot linux for normal use and windows 10 for only when I want to play games and LOL
    If LOL comes to linux I'll abandon windows for good.

8. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    it has an impromptu cooling system desu~
    I would take a picture but it is only shame desu~

9. Pandamonic

Reading List:
    Link
    good for you. I did remember playing word association back then. And it always ends up deleted >.>

Frozen ink likes this.
  10. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    even with all the plus side of w7, eventually you're going to have to move forward if not 10, then 11, 12 so on. so why not embrace it and get familiar with it sooner rather than later? who knows one day you might need the knowledge (of configuring w10) during work or something

humans are highly adaptable. in few weeks you're gonna get used to it. if you skip it now, one day its going to be hard to go back and learn w10 when theres even more modern os. you'll be missing a piece of history and can't boast to your descendant

madobe nanami is the best os-tan ever. mizuki nana ftw!

Vedastra likes this.
  11. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Win10, hands down, though I do like Win8's charm bar.

It's safer and will be supported for much longer than Win7, and if you have a reasonably recent hardware, your gaming performance will simply be better for newer games, compared to Win7 on the same hardware, because of DX12.

12. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Use windows 97

13. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if your hardware's the latest gen, go with win10.

Microsoft made deals with hardware manufacturers so that the hardware won't support win7 anymore. Indirectly forcing you to update yourself to windows 10.

If you're running on older hardware that came shipped with win7 prior, you may still want to consider using win7.

Pros and cons of sticking with either:
    win 7
    - no telemetry
    - no spyware
    - no security updates (because its EOL, so if there's a zero day vulnerability, you're screwed)
    - your laptop may work better with win7, especially if it wasn't updated to work with win10. This is true with older Clevo laptops, unless the manufacturer / resellers actually have a depository for updated drivers.

win 10
    - its the latest windows
    - it has all the updates
    - it has all the spyware from microsoft trying to con you that "your life will be better" (seriously, this is the company that, in chinese proverbs, sold you off, and you're helping them to count the money they made by selling you off)
    - older hardware won't work as well, despite microshit's claims.

Do I sound like anti-Microsoft? No, but i'm starting to.

Disclaimer: Microsoft vs Netscape, I was impartial. Microsoft vs Google, I was impartial. But when Microsoft decides to go all out retard by going spyware on the OS, i am starting to be become anti-Microsoft.

TooLazyToThink likes this.
  14. Claire the Lunatic

Claire the Lunatic Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So go full linux and keep windows virtualized for tasks involving them?

15. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So because my unit is latest gen then I have to stick to windows 10? Now I'm lazy to downgrade. I instead optimize windows 10 and reduce the spyware with Tech City's tutorial

udonsage likes this.
  16. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are alternatives if you really want it. It all falls on what you really need, and how far along you're willing to go around with it.

I use multiple OS es, because there is a need for me to use multiple OS-es for multiple environments.

As for virtualization, it really falls on how much roundabout way you want to get things done. Going full Linux isn't exactly the best answer (but one has to acknowledge that Linux distributions have improved dramatically ever since the mid 2000s until now, paid or free distros)

17. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you remember the free upgrade to win10 with the option to downgrade afterwards?

It was a trap. And I fell for it.

When win 10 came out, they gave us a year where we could upgrade to it for free. And they said it was possible to downgrade while keeping the "already-generated" key if we ever decided to change back to win10 in the future.

Enticing, right? I thought so too.

Well, the system being new and all, I didn't want to upgrade early. I decided wait a few months until all the kinks were taken care of.
    Finally came July '16, nearing the end of the free upgrade period so I decided to give it a try...

I hit upgrade. I waited until the upgrade finished and then I turned off all the spy-crap that MS allowed me to turn off.
    Then I decided o test the system. Boot time was amazing. I was shocked. I heard it was fast, but I didn't expect how fast it really was.
    Then I went to file explorer and I finally found options I was missing in win7. So far so good.
    Then... well... unfortunately, that was it for useful changes. At least as far as I'm concerned. So after a few hours I was annoyed enough and decided to downgrade...

I hit the downgrade button, the system went through the process, it restarted, it tried to load win7... and it ended up in bluescreen.
    I tried system recovery and bunch of other things. Nothing worked. So, of course, I had to do a clean install.
    Win 7 installed alright. Unfortunately, updates didn't wanna download. Even manually downloaded updates stopped midway the installing process...
    So I made another clean install. Same thing happened.
    And then again, and again... (different HDDs, etc)

So I decided to give a clean win10 install a go.
    Did any problems occur? Of course not.

To me, it looks as if MS made sure that people who tried the win10 upgrade would be hindered if they tried to go back to win7. Probably based on the motherboard series number, or wherever they use to assign the activation keys too.

I finally gave up and stayed with win10. Although, I'm only using it for gaming and Photoshop. Linux can handle everything else.

18. orensan

orensan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is why i kept my original disc for both windows 7 and 10, it's so much easier to do it from the disk than downgrading/upgrading thru microsoft

19. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you did not understand me. I said that I tried a clean install after the downgrade failed. Clean install being - I formatted the hdd, used the original dvd to install win7 back. The install went through, but the system would look for updates for hours without finding any. Even if I installed the bigger updates manually, the problem would persist.
    Also, installing stuff in general would take a lot of time. Or it would fail.
    So I tried formatting the hdd and installing win7 anew. When that failed to help, I then tried it on another hdd, but the problem kept coming back.
    After a few more tries I tried to install win10 from a disk a burned on another PC, no problems came up. <-- Seems too much of a coincidence to not be somehow related to MS' master plan.

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Havent used Windows 10 enough but I know some features of Windows 7 were removed in Windows 8
    I could not use some download software due to virtualization software missing.
    Havent tried the software in Windows 10 but it is probably similar
    Features that came free in Windows 7, you would have to buy software to use them in Windows 8
    But with features updates and support, Windows 10 is recommended, although you cant turn off windows update unless you enter services.
    Pretty annoying to be honest, especially if you were tethering with your phone, the updates would eat up all your data.