Windows defender and kaspersky ,which is better Antivirus

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Rosella, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Rosella

Rosella New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't use anything besides defender before and I'm fine. Did secondary scans with third party programs. Just don't do sketchy shit and you won't get viruses.My friends said there is a risk of personal information.Should I use the inbuilt Windows Defender? I don’t trust the inbuilt one enough to actually be effective,they recommended me to get 2 antivirus software from Bzfuture,Windows defender and kaspersky ,which is best virus protection software?

2. Kainord

Kainord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    in terms of quality the win 10 inbuilt defender if you keep up to date is really good. previous versions in win 8 were not enough, but now it's good. Best that experts gonna recommend that you make a virtual machine and run programs using that.

Haruhal and Sabruness like this.
  3. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes should be enough with common sense practices.

Ddraig, udonsage, Chrono Vlad and 6 others like this.
  4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    As it has already been stated, Windows defender used to be crap, these days it is pretty decent. Of course it isn't going to be as good as kaspersky, but the difference is negligible(we are talking about in less than 0.5%). If anything the false positives is a bigger problem with microsoft defender than anything else. That and how much impact it has on the system.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/comparison/

So Windows Defender is good enough for most people, if you want the best that would probably be Bit Defender.

dhRPGamer likes this.
  5. UsernameJ

UsernameJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a very well researched topic, you can find lots of information. The TL;DR is that for a while now, every anti-virus software is garbage/a virus itself. Norton is literally a virus (you can't uninstall it). Avast and Kaspersky are about the same as Norton.

Windows Defender has been the #1 recommend (or close to it) security software by actual IT security professionals for a while. The only other good one is Malwarebytes. That's literally it.

Spybot S&D was pretty big like 10 years ago, probably is still good but you need to know stuff to use it properly.

The reason why the 'security software' ecosystem has ended up like this is because software was a lot less secure in the beginning. That led to the rise of a competing market for anti-virus programs. However so much security is complete in not only the operating system, but also modern browsers, that companies like Kaspersky Labs and Norton are trying to gouge ignorant people out of their money.

Windows Defender, Malwarebytes, and not being retarded on the internet is more than enough security. It's honestly at the point that you have to try to fuck up your computer to make anything bad happen.

6. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Windows Defender these days is actually very good but doubling up with a second AV (as long as you get one that can operate alongside other AVs) is the better option.

That should cover you for most things as long as you dont go stupid and go to virus-ridden places.

I disagree that Norton sucks though. I run Windows Defender and Norton (because it came pre-installed) in tandem and i've never had any problems at all.

7. L0pez

L0pez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I only use antivirus since windows 10(and it is built in windows defender, it's more than enough. It's more than enough, still needs to be turned off when I set sails and take off to be a pirate), as long as you don't go full retard it really is hard to get some virus.

If you want childproof PC then you might want to check out some extensions for a browser you use, perhaps there is something to stop kid from activating 100 toolbars.

8. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend Bitdefender or Eset. If you concerned about your personal information you should try open source antivirus like Armadito. Having two antivirus program is safer because if one antivirus failed to detect virus then the second might be able to detect it (it's hard to build malware that is able to bypass all antivirus). If you want to install two antiviruses at once you should know that most antivirus didn't work with each other but, there are some antiviruses that work well with others like Malwarebytes (you need to configure its fist).

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  9. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    That is a bit inaccurate. Most AVs prevent you from simply uninstalling it because that is the first thing a virus would do. That is why you need to use the special uninstall tool to completely remove them.

These days, windows defender is #1 recommended because it is free and less 3rd party software thus less room for error. And yes, it is correct that for most people it is what they should go for. Unless you are running a corporate computer where even 0.1% better detection rates makes a difference or you need optimum system performance, there is little reason to get anything else.

That was because most antivirus back in the day were virus protection and firewalls. They did not include antimalware protection nor antispyware protection or phishing protection. Spybot search and destroy was one of the early ones one the scene which filled in that gap. These days, everything from AVs to even web browser have most of it covered and anything they miss there is malwarebytes.

Spybot search and destroy these days has branched out into AV and uses the Bitdefender engine.

You are right about the first part but kind of wrong about the 2nd part. I know that companies like Norton and Kaspersky market themselves quite a bit to ignorant customers. But let us not pretend that they are some scam. As I said, their products do have better security than windows defender (of course its not enough of a difference to average consumers) and they have less false positives and less have less impact on system performance. They might not be worth their retail price for anyone who isn't a corporation, but you can literally get most of them free after rebate every year so...

I will also note that Windows Defender gets a lot of their virus definitions from companies like Norton and Kaspersky, partly due to the openness and contributions of the security community. (The fight against viruses is an industry effort).

End of the day, most of these AVs' income is from corporate, followed by selling other services like secure cloud backups and etc. Many of them even give away their AVs for free. (not counting the free after rebate)

Here I completely agree.

UsernameJ likes this.
  10. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    I will warn against having 2 antiviruses. You can have multiple malware scanners, but for AVs, it gets complicated due to how deep their integrate into the operating system (It can cause issues where one damages the other or system crashes/hangs). If you plan on having more than one, only get their scanning engine and do manual scans.

01 likes this.
  11. setitup

setitup Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    linux

dhRPGamer likes this.
  12. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    don't start so small, just go for solaris right from the start
    or freebsd

01 likes this.
  13. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    Small? Linux based OS is #1 operating system in the world. BSD based OS are #3 at about half of windows marketshare.

dhRPGamer likes this.
  14. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I pretty much meant it like this
    Look up sarcasm

dhRPGamer and 01 like this.
  15. 01

01 [REDACTED]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, my bad most antivirus will kill each other but there is some antivirus that works with each other like Malwarebytes but you need to configure it. I installed two antiviruses in my previous Windows OS. Then configure those two so they didn't kill each other. Now I'm using Linux as my main OS and I rarely do a virus scan in my Pc.

16. dhRPGamer

dhRPGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though probably off topic, I've come to believe that the quickest and most efficient way to deal with computer virus is an OS reinstallation coupled with a reformatted harddrive. @@

17. TooLazyToThink

TooLazyToThink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use eset nod32 and smadav.

18. udonsage

udonsage [Underpaid Software Developer] [Lazy Novelist]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Rosella Windows Defender will be fine to use for your anti-virus needs. Adding any other anti-virus software will most likely slow down your computer in terms of performance and not really matter in the grand scheme of things.

What would you really need is something like an ad-blocker for your web browser because most of the time you are going to get a virus from a stupid ad. You might also get a virus if you download something from the internet as well.

Additionally, I would put your money towards getting an external hard-drive to backup your data in case of a ransomware attack or emergency failure of data.

Other than getting ad blocker or external hard-drive, there isn't really much more you can do. The attacks nowadays are highly sophisticated pieces of software that are going to be far more advanced than most security software can offer to protect. In other words, its a waste of money to get anything more than Windows Defender.