Spoiler Winner Takes All

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Apaylia blackrose, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Apaylia blackrose

Apaylia blackrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Winner Takes All
    [​IMG]

Novel Summary
    A fickle, decadent, wilful person going through life like it’s a game.

An experienced, logical mind that’s above feelings.

This was a relationship that had started off with “Carpe Diem”, but slowly turned into a bloodless, psychological battle. They shared a mutual distrust, but also mutual attraction. As they suspected and tested each other, challenging each other’s limits, they both fell into the enemy’s hands with their eyes wide open. Sentiments growing amidst ignorance, they finally, were caught in their own traps.

Winner takes all,

Loser stands small.

- Description from Novelupdates

Details
    Short Title : WTA
    Original Title : 谁把谁当真
    Author : Shui Qian Cheng
    Type : Web Novel
    Genre :
    Drama, Romance, Shounen Ai, Yaoi

Novel updates link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/winner-takes-all/

2. Apaylia blackrose

Apaylia blackrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to Acidelia

Short summary of the novel: Turbulent. But absolutely worth the read.

I like the MC, he's mature and principled, tolerant and kind - and those strengths of his also appears as his glaring weakness, but still he learns and actually reflects from his mistakes and actions. I think his character was well written. And I actually really like how author writes about other aspects of his life, beyond his relationship with the ML, in the text.

The ML, on the other hand, has got me sooo conflicted. He's a thrilling character in MC's life, one that certainly tests his boundaries - both in a good and bad way. Good, in that MC's controlled character can finally express what he's always repressed and never dared to do. Bad, in that his later actions in the text is sooooo scum-like I hoped that he'd be more emotionally punished (though I might also be influenced by all the scum-abusing novels I've read lately). I mean he protects the MC, but also low key takes advantage of his kindness.

Like author's other works, the question of whether the MC should forgive the ML for what he does is certainly gonna be a point of conflict for readers. Most will definitely get mad, but some may also forgive him. If you can ship author's previous pairings in her old works, you can probably tolerate this one. I personally wouldn't but I'm not the MC. Still, he's not intolerable and definitely should not the reason you avoid this novel. Please read it, I want to discuss it with others too.

Whether love and relationships, should really entail losing your mind over someone depends on your views and I think that's something the author also highlights through the difference in views and behaviours of the MC and ML, and their ability to compromise and be together despite that.

Also I have to call out that the side characters actually have purpose in the text. It rarely happens so I feel the need to point it out T-T. Like, for all the various characters that are introduced, they all add to the text and are not merely passerby who are later forgotten. MC is so lucky to be surrounded by good friends and a supportive family, and he knows and appreciates that.

Overall, I can see the author's experience writing dogblood novels here, it is well-written with well-fleshed out characters and a frustrating drama and relationship that compels you to continue. I personally think this was better compared to author's previous works because it had a less scummy ML and a more rational MC, making their HE more acceptable.