WMW Map Making

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Drakaos, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys! Recently I have decided that I wanted to make a map of the "WMW," world for a certain project of mine(*Hint*It will be fun*Hint*), and to do that, I need your help! In order to make a accurate map of the "WMW" world, I will be needing details about all the locations in and out of the main continent, as well as their proximity to each other, and if you could provide me with such information, I would be very grateful. Of course, I myself will be rereading the web novel as to gain more information about the world itself, but there will probably be some details that I will miss. So if you all could help out, that will be great!!!

I will post the map here when I am done with its production. I plan on making a hand drawn version as well as one on Photoshop, both of which will probably be colored.

While I was rereading WMW, I discovered something about the novel as I was taking notes. First of all, I conclude that the authors sense of direction sucks. The locations of several places seem to contradict each other throughout the story. For example, the location of Zither Moon Mountain. Supposedly, Zither Moon Mountain Plain is a location on the West side of Poolfield Kingdom. Now, Poolfield Kingdom is to the east of Abyssal Bone Forest Academy, while Sage Gotham's Hut is on the West of Abyssal Bone Forest Academy. Yet somehow, Zither Moon Mountain Plain borders both the Abyssal Bone Forest Academy and Sage Gotham's Hut, which shouldn't really be possible. The point is, I'm frustrated with the author world making skills. If anyone has any advice as to where the locations of places are in the southern coastal region, that would be great. (Can't wait till I get to the Main Continent, its gonna be great(*Sarcasm))

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2018
    Blitz, Zenobys, ElderMaOu and 5 others like this.
  2. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    So are you done? o_O Where is it ? Any progress? *waiting patiently* XD

3. Drakaos

Reading List:
    Link
    Im still looking over all the previous chapters and figuring out where everything is. Im going to first make a map of the Southern Coastal Region, then the Main Continent. As to how long its going to take well, its sorta something that im doing in my free time, so it might take a while.

4. albab304

albab304 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oh mighty Drakaos. i applaud your initiative and will be waiting with fellow Kaolala for your awesome map. (y)(y)(y)
    I cant help with the WMW mapmaking but i do have the map of middle earth lying around somewhere if you need it. ;)

Rumby and Hahhaa like this.
  5. Sietse Valici

Sietse Valici Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Goodluck dude! When will you begin mapping out the other worlds and how they connect to one another? :D

6. ElderMaOu

ElderMaOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly speaking, i'm not sure whether what you are doing is possible or not cause the author doesn't go into much details when it comes to geography and the best estimate that you have for distance is how long it took him to get there but given that his speed varies according to his rank and whether he is taking an airship and the kind of airship that he is using it's not a good estimate

but then again i am clueless regarding maps and these details might not be that important

still i will look forward to your map hoping that it would be a nice estimate :)

7. Drakaos

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey guys(for some reason I get the feeling that 90% of people that view this would be a male(No sexism intended))!
    So after hours upon hours of going over WMW's previous chapters and trying to figure out where everything is and how big every thing is(I am measuring distance solely by how long it takes the MC to travel through that location.), I got really bored. As such, I decided to take a bit of a break. As such, I drew a picture of a scene from chapter 112, Leylin VS the Black Horall Snake!...

...Yeah the quality of the image isn't to great and a couple of touch ups would make it a hell of a lot better, but considering the fact that I don't have access to my scanner or Photoshop right now, all things considered I would think this is pretty decent. (This took like an hour of drawing and like two hours of trying to get my phone to take a photo and upload it properly.)
    [​IMG]

Zenobys likes this.
  8. Drakaos

Reading List:
    Link
    I just realize that I didn't put fingers on one of Leylin's hands... Rip.

9. Akken

Akken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Umm, yeah. That's rather common. Most of the time they just have an idea of the name and landscape of a place and not where it actually is.

In fact, to me, its become a mark of a good author to be able to keep geography consistent and logical.

10. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did the same but with "I am the Monarch"
    [​IMG]

Rumby likes this.
  11. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zither Moon Mountain | Sage Gotham's Hut | Abyssal Bone Forest Academy | Poolfield Kingdom
    If Zither Moon Mountain has a diagonal border with Sage Gotham's Hut it could also border Abyssal Bone Forest Academy....

I might also note you are assuming that countries are box or circle like... They can easily be like a snake on a map and make illogical turns and bends...

12. Zenobys

Zenobys Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could try to work with OMA to contact the author directly to get more information. Some of the more organized authors keep a log of their novels with many details that may or may not get revealed throughout the story that may help with your plan. Besides, I'm pretty sure they'd (author and translator) be thrilled to find out that a fan is willing to produce art for their novels.

P.S. nice sketch!

Damyabo likes this.
  13. Justsomeguywhowantstoregister

Justsomeguywhowantstoregister New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hows the progress of the map ?

14. kungfunovel

kungfunovel New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i more interest want to know how big Desolate Era map.....each small Commandery City have wide 10 thousand kilometer.....i wonder each Commandery have more than 1000 Commandery City and for Grand Xia have 3600 Commandery

15. Licifer

Licifer New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi can you please tell me how do I contact OMA or the author i’m wor On the map as well

16. Sceptre of Arden

Sceptre of Arden Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I made a map when i read this post. New reader here, just barely reached chapter 156 on ww. How to post picture tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.