News WordExcerpt Going Legit and Temporarily Shutting Down

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by HankyPanky2.0, Oct 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
    English literacy in Korea among millennials is pretty high. So if they want to read Korean novels for free, they can simply read the English translations.

2. amaranthtea

amaranthtea Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regardless, that's piracy. Authors deserve to get paid for their work. Plus a lot of illegal translations these days, as far as I can tell, is MTL. There are actually piracy sites in Korea too, in the original language, but I've heard that the money from the ads is going towards awful things. If authors don't get paid for their work, they either aren't going to write period or they're going to produce much less content because they have to work another job, probably full-time.

Don't pirate English literature either. I've seen a lot of English-language authors like Maggie Stiefvater talk about piracy and how much it hurts them. She said that one of her novels sold only half what the previous book in the series sold, because it turns out a PDF was circulating on the internet. A lot of authors talk about how much they'd like to quit their day job and write full-time. (By the way, checking books out from the library is not the same as piracy and actually helps because publishing companies look at how much a novel has been checked out from the library and take that into account for the author's advance fee and royalties).

3. midorimeii

midorimeii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As Grace has said
    The monthly subscription will cover all novels that WE licensed: KR, CN, JP, including the authors' original works.

4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    So, essentially a complete paywall?. If that is the case, it would conflict with NU policy regarding locked releases thus chapters would not be able to be listed on NU.
    I'm all for authors getting their due but would wordexcerpt be able to make the benefit of a full paywall outweigh the drawbacks?. Even WW probably wouldnt be able to manage a complete paywall and retain the same levels of readership (dont quote me though) so i'm skeptical about whether wordexcerpt could.

5. HankyPanky2.0

HankyPanky2.0 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you overestimate the importance of NovelUpdates for big groups. WW could easily not use NU and still retain the vast majority of their readership.

6. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, well im not an expert so anything i postulate should be taken with a truckload of salt.

that said, my postulation is more towards paywalls themselves than the effect of NU anyway.

7. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    My hunch is that WE can pull it off with the Korean novels since
    1. There's a lot of thirsty readers for Korean novels and are willing to pay for said Korean novels, but Ridi and Kakao have geographically banned a lot of people.
    2. It's a safe and stable place to read Korean novels, especially if/when Korean publishers start another wave of crack downs on hobby groups again.
    3. Finding free raws of Korean novels is near impossible. (On the other hand, Chinese raws are everywhere on the internet for pretty much every novel, not to mention all the free mtl sites you can use.)

sophiecool05 and Sabruness like this.
  8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This might sound weird coming from me considering my position here but not getting listed on NU is not the end of the world. They have their own followers, and when their app is available, they might get more followers. Depending on how things are handled, it might work for the better if their works aren't listed on NU.

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm.. Novel Updates exists to help readers find and keep track of the various translations going on. Translators can definitely benefit from that, especially when they're first starting out, but readers don't need assistance finding larger platforms, and those platforms have their own systems for introducing new novels and tracking progress. Having translations that aren't listed on Novel Updates won't particularly hurt a platform of sufficient size, and may even benefit them in some ways.

Of course, it's probably still better to have some translations listed here rather than none. Might as well occasionally remind the people browsing this site that yours exists, right? It's a form of advertisement.

10. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree with you. It can be pulled off so much easier with KR novels due to the different dynamics around the KR novel industry compared to CN and JP novels.

11. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, sounds great. But I hope for more fantasy/adventure/action novels with ambitious bad-ass leads and less villainess intrigue drama. Most of the romance with female leads right now are so tedious to read (it's a personal preference). I'm begging for some zombies, or survival plot in general, or other Solo Leveling and Reincarnator knock-offs with game-like settings. I really want a dynamic storyline where the final prize isn't some asshole "tyrant" prince/duke/whatever ML.

Seems I'm in a crabby mood today. But for real tho.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  12. mirandalovesme

mirandalovesme Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I've only tried reading one Korean novel (Omniscient Reader) but if there will be a legal source of English translated ones then I will definitely check it out as soon as it reopens.

13. kouhai

kouhai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh

This will definitely be quite interesting and I look forward to reading more legal works

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2020
  14. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Guess we'll meet on a pirate website sometimes reading our novels there.

Howsy321 likes this.
  15. HopelessRomantic

HopelessRomantic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How much does a locked chapter cost? I tried everywhere, but it only stated that i didn't have enough coin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.