Question Wordpress Plugin Suggestions

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by abodammen, Aug 2, 2021.

1. abodammen

abodammen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    See, I'm a newbie in wordpress. I've been watching youtube videos, searching and reading the plugins, but my dumb ass can't understand a single thing.

I NEED HELP
    Anyone who's a novel website owner can tell me what plugins do you guys use? I've been translating for a long time and now that I'm planning to create my own personal site, I want to navigate it easier.

To anyone who responds, thank you.

2. Random.poet

Random.poet Powered by Coffee

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try using sites like this one for example:
    wpdetector.com

It scans the website you choose, and gives you a list of plugins that the site is using, then you can look for the same plugin in wordpress.

Hope it helps

abodammen likes this.
  3. abodammen

Reading List:
    Link
    You're a lifesaver, thank you so much!

Random.poet likes this.
  4. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are a newbie at wordpress, make sure to learn the best practice of how to publish your wordpress project (production mode) before publishing it for real. one mistakes that alot of newbie do is to hardcode sensitive information (username, password, API key, etc) into the project itself, which is a high security risk

for wordpress, try asking wujigege, if i am not wrong wujigege help alot of people setup wordpress for their translation website

abodammen likes this.
  5. abodammen

Reading List:
    Link
    Noted, thank you.

6. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two that I use that might be relevant to you are Respoonsive Accordion and Collapse and Easy Footnotes.

The accordion one just gives you a box you can expand and collapse. I used it for a chapter summary of a wuxia novel.

The footnotes one is sel-explanatory. Just uses a shortcode [efn_note][/efn_note] in your text and put the note in between the brackets there and it will automatically insert the footnotes at the bottom of the page with proper numbering. Really handy. See it in action here.

Oh yeah, if you're going to be posting a translation, the clasic way is to use "pages" for the chapters, another page for your table of contents, and use "posts" for release updates. You don't have to do it that way, but that's the "standard" way, if you will, of doing it.

abodammen likes this.
  7. abodammen

Reading List:
    Link
    This is really insightful, thank you so much!

By chance, do you need a plugin to rename Pages and Posts? And if you know, how do you remove the previous button and next page button below a post?

8. Random.poet

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe its been so long that this doesn't make sense to me.(about the next button)

As far as i know, pages and posts are a given in wordpress and they always show up as 2 different things in wordpress dashboard. And their names depend on the title that you put in.

But for next and prev button, they depend on the theme you use. Most free themes dont have that option, and base/categorize what is show next only by the date (that will mess up if you have more than 1 book uploaded.) Unless you spesificly use a site mapping plugin or a menu plug in to make a TOC.

Some themes are spesificly for uploading books/manga, that they catogorize it for you.

Sorry, last time i made my own site was like 4 years ago. I dont know if the majority of wordpress settings are still the same now. Some people say the layout for posting has changed.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
    abodammen likes this.
  9. abodammen

Reading List:
    Link
    It's totally fine. Do you still remember the theme names?

10. Random.poet

Reading List:
    Link
    You can google "wordpress themes for online reading. "

But if i have to name one, a very common one.
    :blobsweat: im embarrassed to say (Because a lot of people say that too too many translation sites use it, and its become a go to for new translators) : Madara.

abodammen likes this.
  11. abodammen

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you.

I'm way more lost than I have ever been.

Random.poet likes this.
  12. juststian

juststian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can take advantage of Digitalocean 100 USD new user coupon code and one-click Wordpress installation to tinker and play with a test Wordpress site. You will learn a lot about Wordpress, even PHP, HTML,CSS in this way.
    As a website owner without technology support, you need to know a lot about these things.

13. Bobwillrule

Bobwillrule Supreme Ruler of Bobylon

Reading List:
    Link
    Definitely need the dark mode plugin thing.