Working Solo Vs. Under a Group

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Little Potato, Jun 30, 2020.

?

I prefer...

1. working solo

31.6%
  2. working under a group

23.7%
  3. being a leecher(reader)

44.7%
  1. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Translators~!

Do you prefer working alone aka setting up your own site and being your own boss?

Or

Do you prefer working under a group (eg any other translation sites that recruit translators)?

Why? and What do you feel are the Pros and Cons?

Emme Unofficial and Eila Mai like this.
  2. ryuxenji

ryuxenji Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oooh, interesting question. I've only been working solo thus far, but I have been considering whether to work under a group for my next project. Partly out of curiosity, and maybe for a sense of community? I would be interested to hear what others have to say too about the difference.

So far, I've been happy doing my own thing since I like having full control over everything and don't have to worry about being accountable to anyone else other than myself (and the readers, but that's a self-imposed standard anyway). It definitely helps that I know html and was comfortable setting up my own site/blog and maintaining it. I guess working under a group is a quick way for new translators to the scene to jump straight into translating without worrying over the other details.

TaffyGirl13, Fuyuneko, Sasa and 3 others like this.
  3. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Leeching is definitely better than translating.

peachsodas, Poptart, fox23 and 3 others like this.
  4. Deleted member 125960

Deleted member 125960 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Group group group! My Bio: I love translating and the WordExcerpt team. I have the best boss and teammates in the world. That's right, fite me! :blobhero:

5. shan1102

shan1102 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A group is more fun~ (and less troublesome since you don't have to set up anything, just tl and upload)
    ಡ ͜ ʖ ಡ ( ꈍᴗꈍ)

I will fight you, Foxaholic is the best :blobhero::blobowoevil_horns:

TaffyGirl13, fox23 and Creativity53 like this.
  6. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Sasa

Sasa The bored bookworm

Reading List:
    Link
    How true is that... But once you start, you somehow have responsibilities to end it... I have too much in hand be it translating projects or current/ future reading list... But I still took one month off to focus on reading last month... Ha.. Ha..

As for being solo or in a group... I guess for a group, you are accountable for it. As for solo, you can do it at your pace...

As for setting up my site, I'm by no means an expert...in fact I'm quite a beginner in this matter. But google do help me a lot

I am a solo MTL translator from Incarose Jealousy MTL

8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is easier to quit when you are solo
    So solo is always better, you have more options

9. fox23

fox23 Digging Pits

Reading List:
    Link
    "just tl and upload" says the person who didn't tl for so long... :hmm::blob_coffee:

shan1102 and Little Potato like this.
  10. shan1102

shan1102 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Boss– :blobsweat::blobsweat_2::blobtired:

11. Shunraiki

Shunraiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Working solo (my opinion)
    Pros:
    1. you can translate on your own pace
    2. you can edit your website according to your taste,
    3.freedom. you are your own boss.

cons:
    1. if you aren't fluent in English like me, you will need to find an editor on your own, whereas if you are in a group, you might not need to do this by yourself.
    2.you also need to edit each chapter before you upload it (like the previous, next button, change font colour etc), whereas in a group, from what I heard, they did state you just need to translate. we do the rest, or something, I'm not quite sure bout this.
    3. (opt) you need to spend some money to buy your own self-hosting (safer, not that expensive but if you live in my country where the money conversion rate pretty much high, it's expensive) or you can use the free version (have some risk), whereas, in a group, you don't have to think about this.

I, for one, has been working solo. So far, I kinda wanna know how is it feels to work in a group. hope someone can share pros and cons, as well as their experience. (*^▽^)/

TaffyGirl13 and ryuxenji like this.
  12. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done/am still doing all three, in addition to a fourth option: editing for a group, which currently might be my favourite role. Here are the pros and cons of each (with the assumption that the group is well organised).

Translating solo (Mostly the same as what people have already said above):

-Pros: Full control in everything including translation style, pace, site etc.This also means higher consistency (inherent with only having one opinion) in all the things above. Less work in the sense of not needing to spend time/effort managing or working with others.
    -Cons: Basically no help or support, which often means spending a lot more time on troubleshooting, translating, addressing feedback, etc, all of which are more pressing concerns for anyone first starting or is attempting to translate multiple series alone.
    Translating in a group:
    -Pros: Great way to learn from others by seeing how they work and working together with them, which is especially helpful for new translators. Allows you to focus more time and effort on only translating instead of additional tasks like editing, site maintenance, etc. Able to easily consult/discuss with each other for issues, questions, and troubles. Also it's just a much more fun social environment to make friends!
    -Cons: Less control in everything previously listed. Potential conflicts may arrive as a result. Translations may end up less consistent due to multiple styles/opinions even if only one translator is assigned to each series due to editor preference, site owner preference, etc. Generally more pressure to perform according to a certain standard/expectation.
    Leeching:
    -Pros: No effort needed, just enjoy the story :)
    -Cons: Zero control over everything previously listed, which may result in disappointment, frustration, etc.
    Editing in a group:
    -Pros: Can help speed up translations and improve quality/consistency (which eliminates the cons of leecher above). Able to read content as soon as it's available. Able to enjoy interacting with other translators and editors.
    -Cons: Potential conflicts with clashing opinions, little control on pacing and may be put under time pressure for results. Depending on which translator you are assigned to, may require a lot of time and effort to finalise the work.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020