Request World Building

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Noche, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good night Nuffians I need help with something and idk if this is the correct format. Im writing a story and im stuck at some world building stuff. The story i am writing has is based on
    Human Realm: Humans/vampires
    Dragon Realm: Dragonfolk
    Demon Realm: Demonfolk
    Sea Realm: Merfolk
    Elf Realm: Elves/dwarves
    Beast Realm: Beastfolk
    (
    • Rat
    • Ox
    • Tiger
    • Rabbit
    • Fox
    • Snake
    • Horse
    • Goat
    • Cat
    • Dog
    • Lion
    • Wolf
    • Bear
    • Monkey)
    Fairy Realm: Valkyries/fairies
    I need names of the continents and governments of each realm. If possible also some background info on continent and form of government.
    Example:
    Beast Realm:
    Espada continent- Albatross Republic-Wolfkin

2. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Narnia (if you don't get it shame on you)

infinit3aura likes this.
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You know there are sites for these kind of things right?

http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/

udonsage likes this.
  4. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont get it though. I didnt even get why the author decided to kill the three of them at the end.

5. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep

6. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know. Im compiling info from others before using random generators that everybody uses.

7. BarryKaizer

BarryKaizer your crazy fairy godmother of death

Reading List:
    Link
    how bout sanguis [ latin word for blood] kingdom a warrior nation ruled by Blood king Claus Ferrum [ latin for blade] Lupus [ latin for wolf ] a cold blooded silver wolf kin ruler of the land of Ghur the realm of beast
    first time helping with this sort of thing lol the name Ghur is from war hammer

8. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you this is helpful.

9. BarryKaizer

Reading List:
    Link
    will write something else later on when think of something else for your story my comrade

10. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    While, it's cool to be all original. But for me I like having a connection with the world I'm exploring. Like for instance an ancient empire from Earth like Rome or Greek. Maybe a legendary kingdom like Atlantis or Shang Ra La.
    The main point is that I feel connected to it because of the real/ possible history. Same with the names. I would use well known names or connections to those names. Like using Fenrir for the beast folk. Or Lucifer for demons.

At least that's what I think.

11. BarryKaizer

Reading List:
    Link
    terra regem [ land of the king] for human land cuz lets be real they always think they the best
    for their homebase what about the Dominus Empire of maybe
    alysídes [ greek word for chain's] if you want to make it a slave based society or epizon [ greek for survivors] Dukedom if its a land of adventures using it as a beginning point or mid way point for the story could use it to introduce a dungeon based economy where instead of mining in mines or other kinds of production's in a normal land they would a large dungeon/labyrinth and many small dungeons to harvest cutting down on reliance on foreign trade and export most of the items/materials only producible there having a large control on the market and if its a Dukedom could have different set of laws that allow all races to come and go as well as be adventurers which would annoy foreign powers and allow for you to build up on conflict later on

12. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Human Realm: Humans/vampires : The Septimontium Republic (Republic of the Seven Hills).
    For this, I choose Latin names to make it more 'humanly' and based the county on preImperial Roman Republic model with Vampire as Patricians and normal humans as plebeians. Currently led by the Eternal Consul Vladislaus Perfictoris Draculaus, who started to gather all power to himself as the Republic began to turn into an Empire.

Dragon Realm: Dragonfolk : Ognennaya Zmelya Tsardom (The Zmey' Tsardom Lands of Fire).
    For this, I choose Russian/Slavic names, since due to heavy Soviet impression on our global culture, Slavic names make it more 'oppressive' and give off a sense of resilience.
    With the Tsar of the Zmey, Azi Dahakka reigned over various chiefdoms overseen by a brutal internal security force. Currently trying to centralize all the power and strip power from any rebelling Zmey.
    Also, instead of General Winter, they got Mother Desert, that surrounds their vast mountain homes.

Demon Realm: Demonfolk : Satanarchy of the Ishim. (Though the other called them demon, they call themselves Ishim - try google it).
    Talking about demons, it reminded me of Semitic language, so I'll just use a mixture of Hebrew and Arab myth for this.
    Enter, the Satanarchy of the Ishim. Led by Seven Iyrin Council (Iyrin is plural, Iyr is the singular), where the leader amongst them was called Satan. Hence where the Satanarchy came. The current Satan, Samyazai bath Helel-Shaḥar, was trying to reform the constant internal feuds of the Ishim, however, her reform was opposed by the conservative faction. A civil war might be on the horizon.

13. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Go lurk on /r/worldbuilding for a few months on reddit, a good and deep worldbuilding makes the story you're writing much more consistent, and makes developing believable plot progression a lot more believable. Basically what I'm saying is, expand upon what you have, your current barely even qualifies as world building (not looking down on you here, as it's totally fine if you don't want to do more, but it might result in a more messy story).

As for the names, try looking into anagrams of some words that you normally come into contact with, that or try palindromes, people generally don't guess them anyway, and even if they do, does it really matter?

14. corvax

corvax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your having trouble thinking of names go to google translate and try out a bunch of languages until you find a work you like.

15. Faye

Faye Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Human Realm: This one should be the most modern setting place. Lots of industrial or something connected with technology advancement
    Dragon Realm: Mountains and valleys should suit this place
    Demon Realm: a barren land or frozen continent
    Sea Realm: Need to ask for more?
    Elf Realm: Okay this is kinda hard since you put the dwarves with the elves, elves love their nature-like environment, treehouse etc while dwarves love their mines and underground ore vein, put the two together and you get contrasting part
    Beast Realm: this is nomadic tribe maybe, since wild lives suit em better

I used to build the human city around port and centralized around a castle or capital city.

onto the world building, to get a background on it, you probably need to put a core into it
    such as, you story will revolves on guild adventure around the world [this can put the Race's Realm on non-aggresion pact or all out hostile]

so, you might want to elaborate some more on the story core

16. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    Using other language might work too when naming it~

17. infinit3aura

infinit3aura [Infinit3 Clan] [delirious army] [meowstic]

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's elf realm, u have to have spirits there as well. U can have it all centered upon what all elves think as a greater being (and dwarves well acknowledge it as something great). This can be something like yggdrasil or a godly spirit or a very very old being. Dwarves will worship a blacksmith god.

In short, have each realm/faction worship (or something like that) something and from there, u can easily come up with their culture.

18. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The human realm is technologically modern and the other realm magically modern. The human realm has been disconnected from the other realms for a long time. The plot is set 7 years after contact with the other realms.

19. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    beast realm, a government system could be the 12 zodiac, western or chinese which ever one you want.
    - if you pick chinese, you could make it so that the cat or cat-like races (lion, tiger, panther, etc) form their own nation and are against them, as due to mythology where the cat was kicked from the chinese zodiac for not attending the god's party.
    sorry i couldn't help with names

20. Greyman

Greyman Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why do you list the Human Realm's population as Human/Vampires? What is the relationship between vampires and humans? Are they antagonistic or cooperative? Are they secretive or open? Are they egalitarian, or fantasy racists? Are they equals, rulers, or hunted? Are they transformed humans, or a separate thing? Are they considered predators, or victims of a curse? In fact, what are 'vampires': blood sucking fiends, or simply misunderstood?
    So did Vampires even exist prior to opening contact with the other realms? Did they cause that connection, or were they caused by it?