Discussion Would you dare to fall in love?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zhainan2157, Mar 9, 2019.

?

Do you dare?

1. Yes, the power of love overcomes all obstacles.

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. Yes, I would like to experience that ephemeral moment of happiness before I perish with them.

11 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. No, I would want to keep them safe.

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Romance? What is that, is it edible? I am a proud wizard treading upon the path to sage-hood.

16 vote(s)
    44.4%
  5. Other...

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading so many cultivation novels(other novels included but this mostly happens in cultivation novels) with OP MC's or MC's that eventually become really powerful, it made me think about their love interests and how most of the time they're always targeted and something bad always happens to them, then MC does what MC's do and so on and either saves them or gets revenge.
    Now consider this hypothetical situation, you are now one of the strongest in the world with maybe only a dozen others as powerful as you in a one on one situation, and even if a few band together, you can still escape from them with your super duper escape-jutsu, and the vice versa is true as well, they can escape just as easily as you can since super duper escape-jutsu seems like a requirement for powerful people in novels these days. You then fall in love with someone who whole-heatedly loves you back, would you grasp tightly onto that romance or let it crumble? Would you take the risk to be with your one and only or would you stay away to keep him/her safe given that you have no way of protecting them against the many enemies you have made if they were to ever find out?

bbctheory84 likes this.
  2. Black_Cat

Black_Cat 『The Cat That Leapt Through Time』

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually in CN when u reach that level of power there is a certain degree of co-existence between everyone.

Sabruness likes this.
  3. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    If I'm already at the apex of cultivation, obviously I will embrace the relationship

It would be different if I'm still a passing cultivator with no backer or something to rely on.

Fulminata and Sabruness like this.
  4. Ruyue

Ruyue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance is for weaklings, to walk the path of cultivation you need to be cold hearted.

Tsukkin likes this.
  5. Faetro

Faetro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Once you are on the top, any deviation from what got you there will threaten your position and no one is more vicious than someone who is stepping on someone who used to be on the top, but is slipping, to try to get higher. Add in how volatile human relationships can be over time and most of these cultivation series have powerful people living ridiculously long times, it just would not be worth the long term risk for the almost assuredly short-term "gain." Granted, no one exists on top forever, but it would be a form of suicide to voluntarily let yourself stray off-goal unless your rise to the top was only a means to an end and you don't care anymore.

That said, if you go out of your way to create a system to counteract these negatives, you could get away with it for a while. Creating large scale organizations that passively support you would enable you to relax somewhat on your previous methodologies, hardening yourself to 'love' by allowing yourself these loving - but doomed - relationships so you can expect them to fail but enjoy them regardless....

A complex question with many variables left unspecified, but for safety's sake, probably not.

zhainan2157 likes this.
  6. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a really hard question. I think in the end it just depends. I think I'd take the risk in real life because Batman never took a risk to love again and he ended up lonely as heck

7. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for not specifying more variables, but what I'm trying to convey is, if you choose to love, your loved one will mostly likely get harmed and probably die as you cannot beat your enemy due to their power equaling yours and that they have escape methods. This also applies vice versa as they also can't deal with you even if you both stake everything in the fight. However, you are unable to escape pursuit if you were to take your loved one with you due to his or her low cultivation and they cannot protect themselves from the aftershocks of your battle with the enemy, and the risk I am talking about is if you are able to keep that romance a secret, not if you are able to protect your loved one from your enemies if they do find out.

8. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    In CN novel, the love interest do get in danger, even though they begin to be the height of geniusness and come from super duper great families only to be left behind by the world in cultivation as soon as the mc comes in the picture, but that is generally it. They get in danger, they get saved, they leave to power up and show up in the future to be strong but not strong enough to defeat some goons from a genius disciple only to be saved by the mc and have their personalities and dialogues cut off.

Would I fall in love? I don't know since it looks vague and unknown to me but it would be nice to experience it and if I am that powerful I can just train up my love to be powerful enough so we can conquer the world :)

9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You argument is invalide because some people don't believe in love let alone true love (like me but I do like reading about it) because realistically speaking most humain relations are built on mutual understanding or benefits and let's say there is emotion in there but it is not love, at least not the kind portrayed in novels :blobsweat_2:, besides supposing I find myself in a novel setting as you say and I am really strong or the strongest, now imagine what kind of efforts I had to put to reach that level and how many hardships I had to face to reach the top, I had to face many sacrifices and fight many kinds of people who certainly didn't leave a good impression on me, now imagine me prevailing and standing at the top with enemies after my life as you say, what do you think my impression and thoughts would be now towards others?
    I am not and certainly you are not a novel character built for the sake of a story, there will be emotions, suspect of others or complete cold dead emotions, human psyche despite how complex it might seem but it is actually easily influenced, so falling in that kind of love in such situation realistically speaking would impossible and that's what I think :hmm:

10. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I were a cultivator, I would fine someone worth loving, then kill her. My love for her shall my fuel my despair for her, when she shall die by my hands. It is karma I grow affectionate towards her, and it is karma when I severed that love. Only in my darkest times, will I triumph against all odds, and my cultivation path dominate even the high heavens above and yellow springs. My Daoist name is Uncreated Darkness, and like my Dao, True Emptiness; I shall exist forever like darkness. Invisible to all yet perceivable in their own element. Immortality in it's prime and eternity is it's concept. My being shall not be hindered by any cultivator or cultivation arts, when I perfect my Dao. Love all I want, and hate I all want, until there is nothing left to love or hate. Only when I am empty, I am supreme.

11. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a wizard, but a witch. Romance? Haha. I like to read about it, but I'd be burdened by it personally. Just the thought of it annoys me.