WPA-2 Vulnerability Question

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Adkiyota, Oct 18, 2017.

1. zamornews

zamornews Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    all routers have that vulnerability. all you need to do is have the last firmware updates installed and you should be safe. unless you werent using the WPA-2 feature of your router. pretty sure you have to choose between it or the other available options when adding passwords to the router

2. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You said yourself: "I check manufacture site and they did not have my router as affected". Your words, right there. If you can't trust your own manufacturer's information, then how are we, strangers on the internet, supposed to answer that question?

WPA2 is a standard. If "WPA2" has a vulnerability, that means the standard is vulnerable, not just some implementation of the standard. So, yes, any device using WPA2 without an additional protection would be vulnerable. That said, manufacturers can add additional protections. This usually comes in the form of patches, over the time. Now, does your device has the necessary patches? Hell if I know.

udonsage likes this.
  3. XD

XD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    GekkoZockt likes this.
  4. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your manufacture says the product isn't affected, it probably isn't.
    Linux-based OSes are more likely to be affected because ironically, they follow the standard more. But not everyone follows the standard so precisely, and these inconsistencies mean that certain products using the protocol aren't really as affected as others.
    I wouldn't worry about it if your router's manufacturer doesn't list your product as affected. Just be sure to always keep your software updated anyways.

XD, GekkoZockt and udonsage like this.
  5. GekkoZockt

GekkoZockt Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst part of this vulnerability targets the client, only if your router can be used as a client in bridge mode can it be considered as affected.

Don‘t switch your encryption method. WPA-2 is still your best bet, script kiddies won’t be able to exploit this vulnerability for now unlike WEP or WPA. If you don’t trust your manufacturer (IMO there is no reason not to) you could check if your Router is affected with this script. https://github.com/vanhoefm/krackattacks-test-ap-ft/

TUSF and XD like this.
  6. Adkiyota

Adkiyota Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for this information. I bought you the blob-devil for a day form the shop as as thank you.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    GekkoZockt likes this.