Writing novels from the halfway point?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Re-imaged Elf, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Re-imaged Elf

Re-imaged Elf Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hiya guys!

I was wondering if there were any other writers out there with this tendency like me?

I tend to brainstorm the concept and just write down a whole bunch of random ideas and it'll be a huge jumble. Just imagine trying to draw tags out of a hat and trying to craft a story around that.

It'll basically be a google doc with a mess of ideas from character development to character interactions and clunks of conversations that will or won't be used in the future of the novel. It's like solving a puzzle by bringing in huge chunks and arranging them in a random timeline then linking them together or getting rid of puzzle pieces.

Now the question is: Why do I do this?

Well, I feel that my weakest point as a writer is initiating a captivating start and the same case can be said for many of the novels I've read online.

There are some really good novels out there with decent world building and storyline but really forced or overly cliché openers (I feel I haven't found any immersive emotion invoking ones lately but maybe that's because of the genres I tend to read. Isekai LOL)

Also I tend to write full chapters worth in random places because sometimes you hit a writer's block when writing in a linear timeline progression. I find it easier to skirt around these hurdles and wait for bouts of inspiration before returning to the main body (or maybe that's my form of procrastination).

TLDR: I'm bad at openings, I write in chunks to avoid writer's block then mesh the spewed garbage together : )

PS. Can anyone recommend any known artists who do artwork commissions? I know you can just go on artwork sites and find artists whose work you like but they don't reply to you most of the time sadly : (

2. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For artwork there's Fiverr, Deviantart (some people have portfolios and plan to do commissions, others are there for fun), and maybe Pixiv?

One thing about the starting of a lot of modern amateur novels is that they look like a movie. As in the author likely grew up watching a lot of movies that have a panning shot showing the scene, instead of a conflict or something. The movies Transformers(2007) versus Fight Club for example.

It's extremely common in CN novels, even 'heroic' novels like Stellar Transformations, to have that kind of start then go on to have little description through the rest of the novel.